MDR Dress Attire

heatherpl

Removing your hat indoors or when eating is a sign of good manners. You can do it, or not do it. Either action will not change the fact that removal of your hat indoors or at meal time is a sign of good manners!

So true!

Removing your hat indoors or when eating is a sign of good manners. You can do it, or not do it. Either action will not change the fact that removal of your hat indoors or at meal time is a sign of good manners!
But someone will ask (again) WHY is it good manners to remove your hat at the table. That is the debate. That, and why would someone insist on wearing a cap at dinner, even though the dress code prohibits it. I haven't gotten a good answer for that one yet, unless one considers, "it matches my outfit" a good answer. For me, that answer begs the question, what sort of dinner attire does a ball cap match? Other than a Cub's uniform, of course. :-) Thanks for joining in.

Thanks

But it still begs the question, why? It doesn't answer the question.

Lack of respect and trust for wearing a hat...that seems very superficial to me. Very odd too. Because I can guarantee wearing a hat (or not) has no bearing on if someone is trustworthy.

People do things, I suppose, because they're Lemmings. That's about the best reason I can figure.

Actually the custom of taking one's hat off originated from the Middle Ages. The Knight would take his helmet off as a sign submission. Additionally they would lift their armor visor as a sign of goodwill and trust (thus the "trust" comment). This translated to tipping one's hat as a sign of respect which "morphed" if you will, into the Salute. A Military member salutes a senior officer mimicking the tipping of the hat. So, it's simply tradition from long ago.

Edited by papaflamingo

Actually the custom of taking one's hat off originated from the Middle Ages. The Knight would take his helmet off as a sign submission. Additionally they would lift their armor visor as a sign of goodwill and trust (thus the "trust" comment). This translated to tipping one's hat as a sign of respect which "morphed" if you will, into the Salute. A Military member salutes a senior officer mimicking the tipping of the hat. So, it's simply tradition from long ago.

That's interesting. Thanks for the info. I can see how raising a visor could translate, over time, into a salute. Makes perfect sense.

Men don't stand up when a woman enters the room or leaves the dinner table any more either. Nor opening doors for women or even holding them open for the anyone behind you. Or elbows on the table.... the list goes on and on. These are all manners that are hardly followed anymore. Perhaps they were started long ago to mentally feel we are more advanced than cavemen or apes.

"Those that fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it."

Winston Churchill

:rolleyes:

I remember reading something along those lines, so the tradition can be changed or modified without ripping out the very fabric of society.

I think a lot of women do not understand what women went thru when they started wearing pants. Nobody blinks an eye now, but back in the day. I wasn't allowed to wear pants when I was in school, except the last year we may have been able to wear them one day a week. Had to be a pants "suit" whatever the hell that was.

My grandma was put out of the house by my grandfather because he caught her wearing his pants to hang up clothes on a bitter cold day. He only allowed her back home if she swore she would never do it again.

She was 88 the next time she put on a pair of pants and she was in better shape than he was so he couldn't do anything about it.

Where I live, it is normal to see men with hats on. Don't bat an eye and am amazed at the number of people that go crazy over it.

Wearing a hat or not is no indication of if the man will have acceptable table manners or not.

Men don't stand up when a woman enters the room or leaves the dinner table any more either. Nor opening doors for women or even holding them open for the anyone behind you. Or elbows on the table.... the list goes on and on. These are all manners that are hardly followed anymore.......

"Those that fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it."

Winston Churchill

:rolleyes:

More's the pity......

Thanks,

And if this is where it started, I feel safe in saying we can throw this tradition or mindset out the window. I don't think any of us are concerned that a Knight won't be submissive if needed. :D

Why wouldn't you tip your hat to a lady, as a sign of respect? Why would you be opposed to it? Is this a bad custom, a destructive custom, that needs to be buried? Or is it something else? Just curious. Yes, styles change, but do ALL customs need to change, just because they weren't developed in 2015? Are people in 2015 necessarily wiser than they were in say, 2005? Or 1995? Is overturning traditions always a good thing? Why is wearing a hat indoors important? Thanks.

Wasn't born tipping hats to women. I don't wear hats like that. Wouldn't start tipping hats now. Just isn't part of any custom I've ever been a part of. That's just me. If others want to keep the custom alive, fine. I'm sure in some parts of the country it still is. Just not one I've ever seen.

No, we don't tip hats to women anymore. That goes without saying. That old custom was only mentioned, in the article I pasted, to explain where the custom of taking off one's hat at the dinner table came from. It didn't suggest that it is still in vogue. The article does say that it is STILL considered good etiquette to remove one's hat at dinner.

To some it's considered good etiquette, sure. But to me it just doesn't matter. I don't look at people and think they have poor etiquette because they're wearing a hat to dinner, nothing about it bothers me nor would I even notice. I would hope people would feel the same when they see me wearing a hat at dinner. If they take offense, I feel sorry for them.

Let's not forget; some people wear hats because they may have lost their hair due to health reasons. We don't know anyone's reason. I just don't judge what people wear - ever. Live and let live.

To some it's considered good etiquette, sure. But to me it just doesn't matter.

There is the matter of the MDR dress code, still. Does that not matter to you either? Feel free to answer, no. It's just a dress code on a cruise ship. Right? How does a raging flood begin? With one drop of rain. How does the downfall of civilization begin? With the casting off of one silly custom, one old fashioned nicety at a time. But I'm being melodramatic, right?

Thank you for offering your opinion and responses to mine. It's been interesting. Happy cruising.

I was reading the guidelines of the dress code for the MDR on casual nights and elegant nights even during the day. I noticed on my last cruise men wore hats even baseball hats and it says this isn't permitted. I know a lot of people don't follow the rules and also wear tank tops.

Has anyone ever obeyed these rules and do they actually say something if you come during lunch with a hat or tank top? even wearing a nice dress hat with black slacks and a dress shirt for elegant night for men?

To get back on point and answer the OP's question...while hats on men are allowed on casual nights they are definitely frowned upon on elegant nights. My DS (16 at the time) did not heed my warning and wore his baseball cap to elegant night dinner. He was extremely embarrassed when he was asked by the waiter to please remove it. The DH also wore shorts into the MDR one night and was refused entrance. So as another poster has said it is hit and miss as to whether the dress code is enforced or not.

I too have never in all my many years of cruising seen any man wear a tank top to the MDR at night. I hope that doesn't change. JMHO

I just don't understand why it's such a big deal not to go along with the dress code set out for any given venue. If the rule is no hats in the MDR why would anyone feel the need to wear one?? What's the point? It is very arrogant of people to go against the rules of the establishment they are in. Be it on land, air, or sea. Again...JMHO.

From my experience, most men wear hats to hide the fact that they're losing or have lost their hair. And young men wear them as a matter of fashion. The bottom line is that I don't care if men wear hats in the MDR or not..but I do take issue with them wearing tank tops. Who wants to see hairy armpits while having a meal. It's totally gross! Once again, JMHO.

but why did they even remove it? What was the purpose? To show their hair? What's unfortunate if you can't see all of their hair?

I never wear a hat (other than my avatar - lol), even in sun, but it's because i don't like to wear a hat. But i am interested in learning the logic of taking off a hat.

respect

I'm also curious why the custom of removing hats began. How come men have to but women can keep their hats on in, say, church? Not trying to be controversial: just genuinely curious.

Church specifically- some denominations believe (or used to be more strict about it) that women should cover their hair in church. There is biblical basis for a woman to wear a head covering.

A non-church reason (of why a woman might keep a hat on for a fancy dinner, for instance)- hair pins. Those suckers are stuck to the head.

Personally, I think most hats now are worn for fashion. So if a man in a ratty baseball cap keeps it on indoors, I don't think of it as sun protection, but a statement he is making, akin to a necklace, or pair of shoes.

As for Carnival, it really varies. I have seen people denied from elegant night in really nice jeans. I have seen others come in in shorts. Depends on the ship, and if the maitre'd sees you.

I was reading the guidelines of the dress code for the MDR on casual nights and elegant nights even during the day. I noticed on my last cruise men wore hats even baseball hats and it says this isn't permitted. I know a lot of people don't follow the rules and also wear tank tops.

Has anyone ever obeyed these rules and do they actually say something if you come during lunch with a hat or tank top? even wearing a nice dress hat with black slacks and a dress shirt for elegant night for men?

This is a fun thread for me, because it shows how Carnival has given up on enforcing any rules. In my opinion, I think Carnival should just do away with the MDR, and contract out "Golden Corral" to make buffet at sea.

This is a fun thread for me, because it shows how Carnival has given up on enforcing any rules. In my opinion, I think Carnival should just do away with the MDR, and contract out "Golden Corral" to make buffet at sea.

Ahh...sarcasm to get a point across.

Passengers pick and choose the codes, rules, suggestions, "prohibits" as they relate to their own likes, dislikes, conveniences etc. The list is endless. And, Carnival is always deemed "at fault" when someones own favorite "rule or code" isn't enforced...but these same people have a million excuses for why they don't think Carnival should interfere when they choose to ignore a code or rule.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all go on a vacation that we have spent good money for and just ignore those people who skirt rules which really don't negatively affect us in the moment. If someone wearing a hat magically turns your dinner into dust then there might be an issue, or if someone sneaking booze on board makes you physically ill, or if someone sneaking a red into a platinum line causes you to break your leg then complain to Carnival...otherwise just let the little things slide or you will ruin your own vacation.

Thanks

But it still begs the question, why? It doesn't answer the question.

Lack of respect and trust for wearing a hat...that seems very superficial to me. Very odd too. Because I can guarantee wearing a hat (or not) has no bearing on if someone is trustworthy.

People do things, I suppose, because they're Lemmings. That's about the best reason I can figure.

Or, people do things because they were raised property [emoji3]

We don't use the dining room at breakfast or lunch, but I do remember a friend who had his ball cap on at dinner one night & was asked to remove it. As far as elegant nights, I've seen nice jeans & top all the way to tuxes & gowns.

As far as I'm concerned, just be clean & covered (no armpit hair, please).

Or, people do things because they were raised property [emoji3]

I'm assuming this should say "properly". It's a little sad in this day and age that people still "believe" that there is only one set of rules that should govern how anyone is raised. Being judgmental is the worst trait any parent can teach their children...but I won't hold anyone at fault for not being raised properly in this regard.

There is the matter of the MDR dress code, still. Does that not matter to you either? Feel free to answer, no. It's just a dress code on a cruise ship. Right? How does a raging flood begin? With one drop of rain. How does the downfall of civilization begin? With the casting off of one silly custom, one old fashioned nicety at a time. But I'm being melodramatic, right?

Thank you for offering your opinion and responses to mine. It's been interesting. Happy cruising.

You are being awfully dramatic, lol. I think you're taking this a little too seriously. Calm down, it's not good for you.

That being said, if it is a rule, I will follow it. I never said anything about breaking rules. Since it specifically says no hats in the dining room, I would follow that rule.

To get back on point and answer the OP's question...while hats on men are allowed on casual nights they are definitely frowned upon on elegant nights. My DS (16 at the time) did not heed my warning and wore his baseball cap to elegant night dinner. He was extremely embarrassed when he was asked by the waiter to please remove it. The DH also wore shorts into the MDR one night and was refused entrance. So as another poster has said it is hit and miss as to whether the dress code is enforced or not.

How are hats allowed in the MDR on casual night? In reading the Carnival website, it specifically says it's not permitted.

I'm assuming this should say "properly". It's a little sad in this day and age that people still "believe" that there is only one set of rules that should govern how anyone is raised. Being judgmental is the worst trait any parent can teach their children...but I won't hold anyone at fault for not being raised properly in this regard.

This right here is the best comment. People are so judgmental towards what other people do. I'd rather sit with someone wearing a tank top and ball cap than any one of these judgmental people who think just because someone wears a cap to dinner means they weren't raised properly. I don't have time for such people in my life. Like I've said, live and let live. My attire does not affect your life in the least.

My parents raised me to treat everyone with respect and to not judge - ever! That is being raised the right way in my eyes.