Video: Koningsdam comes back to shipyard (Fincantieri - Marghera)

Alphen

Nice video of Koningsdam;

Very Very Nice:) Thank You:)

I noted a couple things about her......

1. She has wings on the Aft Lido. Luckily, 1 deck above the Bridge wings so as not to impede the view from the Bridge, I would think.

2. New Logo is not yet on the stack.

3. Most important to me... The only Aft Deck completely covered is Deck 8:( Decks 4-7 are only partially covered and are in a tiered " \ " direction, just like Noordam:(

Joanie

Also... queue the chronic whiners about the Promenade Deck in 3...

If saying I'm going to miss something I have loved on every other ship, that is missing on this one, makes me a "chronic whiner", then I shall wear the barb proudly.

Fast enough for you??? :rolleyes:

Awesome find! Love this!

Also... queue the chronic whiners about the Promenade Deck in 3...

Everyone is free to feel as they wish with regards to this ship. Some will like some will not. That is normal.

Your comments to 'suck it up' and 'chronic whiners' are out of line.

Stephen

If saying I'm going to miss something I have loved on every other ship, that is missing on this one, makes me a "chronic whiner", then I shall wear the barb proudly.

Fast enough for you??? :rolleyes:

Everyone is free to feel as they wish with regards to this ship. Some will like some will not. That is normal.

Your comments to 'suck it up' and 'chronic whiners' are out of line.

Stephen

Negative remarks about the promenade have been put into every single Koningsdam thread of late... It was only a matter of time til comments were made on this one too.

There's nothing wrong in stating what would obviously be the case given these are some of the best views of that part of the ship to date

I also never named and names or inferred a particular individual. There have been several. But why does the same gripe need to be posted in EVERY SINGLE THREAD about a ship. I mean, really?!

Like I mentioned before, create a thread called "Here's why Koningsdam sucks" and everyone can get it out of their system

Edited by InTheWASide

But why does the same gripe need to be posted in EVERY SINGLE THREAD about a ship. I mean, really?!

Who can resist when the opportunity keeps presenting itself! :D

Attempts to bully people into silence probably aren't going to work.

I'm reserving my judgment until after I have sailed on her in December. I remember looking at the plans of the Nieuw Amsterdam and thinking that it was definitely not for me. After doing two 14-day cruises on her, she has become one of my favourites. You just never know ...

I wish deck 8 aft wasn't the only fully covered deck. Going to make those Neptunes prime real estate. I'll have to look at the pricing and deck on my Dec cruise. If HAL was smart they would and could charge abit more for these. Wow..she is big:)

Edited by freestyling

Negative remarks about the promenade have been put into every single Koningsdam thread of late... It was only a matter of time til comments were made on this one too.

There's nothing wrong in stating what would obviously be the case given these are some of the best views of that part of the ship to date

I also never named and names or inferred a particular individual. There have been several. But why does the same gripe need to be posted in EVERY SINGLE THREAD about a ship. I mean, really?!

Like I mentioned before, create a thread called "Here's why Koningsdam sucks" and everyone can get it out of their system

You do not have to read them, you know.

You are awfully protective of this ship: did you by any chance design it?

Op: thanks for posting the link to the video! Very enjoyable.

Edited by SilvertoGold

I have posted this link to the video in anticipation of what is coming on Koningsdam, I for one am looking forward to be on her in 76 days and will reserve my comments until then.

I have posted several links or photos in the buildup to Koningsdam joining the fleet in April. What strikes me is that reading the hundreds of reviews of cruises on all of the Dam ships, I rarely see any comment on how the ship looks, nor having look in any way influence the way you live your cruise experience.

I am looking forward to all of the new incentives on board, the fantastic feel that all of the hard working crew on board always provide and will undoubtedly do so on Koningsdam as well. Can’t wait to absorb all of the new bars and culinary features that have been added and also the new road that Holland America has turned to, without really changing all that much.

I will wait and see and do not anticipate being disappointed when boarding Koningsdam on April 8th!

:):):)

Lifeboats are high enough above the railing to allow see out while walking. Also appears you could lean on the railing with no view obstruction. If there are chairs behind the boats the view out would be fine.

Frank,

I'm not 'whining.... but simply stating , the keel of the boat is just about 3ft above the edge of the deck. There is no room for chairs... anywhere. The walkway from bulkhead to railing is probably 6 to 8 ft. A deck chair would need at least 5 ft. Not sufficient width to walk past.

Stephen

381501664_koningsdam29.jpglifeboatdeck.jpg.b9af35fcfed0163e734b39dd532db3af.jpg

I have posted this link to the video in anticipation of what is coming on Koningsdam, I for one am looking forward to be on her in 76 days and will reserve my comments until then.

I have posted several links or photos in the buildup to Koningsdam joining the fleet in April. What strikes me is that reading the hundreds of reviews of cruises on all of the Dam ships, I rarely see any comment on how the ship looks, nor having look in any way influence the way you live your cruise experience.

I am looking forward to all of the new incentives on board, the fantastic feel that all of the hard working crew on board always provide and will undoubtedly do so on Koningsdam as well. Can’t wait to absorb all of the new bars and culinary features that have been added and also the new road that Holland America has turned to, without really changing all that much.

I will wait and see and do not anticipate being disappointed when boarding Koningsdam on April 8th!

:):):)

I look forward to joining you in 76 days. I agree with all you said and thanks for all the info so far.

To all the naysayers (and you know who you are [emoji3]),perhaps you can all get together and lend Seattle the money to redesign her[emoji568]

For those complaining about the fact that new cruise ships lack a traditional open promenade, well...I understand them. It is indeed lovely.

HOWEVER:

If you know passenger ship history, you will also realize that Open promenade decks DID NOT always have the open Ocean vieuws from a lower deck! These came only in fashion on most designs post WW2.

Most "open promenade decks" were situated on the top decks. And often, the Lifeboats and other equipment would be severly limiting ocean gazing.

Now, what was another tradition on yesteryears Ocean liners, were the Indoor Promenades, most famous of all onboard the SS France, ( later the NCL. Norway). Often, they were the connecting boulevard between lounges and were designed like winter gardens or a mini Champs Elysée .

We were fortunate to sail on the Norway a few times. What a lovely ship! I remember the promenade inside and the lounge with the huge statues of Neptune.

Our last cruise on her was a celebration of the SS France 1960s cruising days including a video and photo show in one of lounges showing passenger parties, Elegant and chic passengers (when chic meant something), dogs being walked during transatlantic cruising, deck games. Ship had a lot of history, nautical artwork and beautifully decorated public areas.

With that being said, we are looking forward to the Koningsdam next year and eagerly await the first reviews. Cruiselines are building differently and we either go with the changes or stop cruising.

Koningsdam video was great and we even saw our angled rear facing balcony mid-ship. Love those huge "off the hump" balconies!!