Lovalty Programs and ... Loyalty

OctoberKat

It seems cruise loyalty programs are joined automatically after one's first voyage; nothing need be done from the cruiser end, you're automatically in their system (unlike airline frequent flyer programs which require a passenger to register for same).

Makes sense from the corporate perspective -- no impediments to loyalty program membership and no pain for the cruiser, only benefits, right? Well, yes, for many depending on how often one cruises, how early one begins cruising and one's propensity for favoring one specific line or maybe two. Then there are those programs which link benefits across one or more lines (usually sharing a corporate parent).

In truth, I've not explored any of these programs other than superficially because I expect to be a "non-aligned" cruiser. Just cruised the Caribbean aboard Regent's Navigator. Have booked cruises with Belmond (Burgundy in July), Silversea (Amazon in November) and Seabourn (Norwegian Fjords in June 2016). It's likely that pattern will persist for us; that is, not following with any consistency a specific cruise line (or two). What will remain constant is a focus on the luxury and upscale lines and the higher suite categories.

Comfort (aka "luxury") is paramount for us. After that that primary criterion is itinerary and third is port of embarkation. For example I'm not wild to cruise to Hawaii and back but would consider such a voyage out of SF because I live 30 miles south of that fair city. I'm not wild to fly abroad, either, but will do it if the itinerary is overwhelmingly compelling (e.g., Burgundy, Norway). Another concern is jet lag related to the above. Flying to the west coast of South America is less of an issue than flying to Europe or Asia.

In a nutshell, that's how I think about cruising. Loyalty doesn't enter into my decision making. In addition I like new experiences so a different ship or line will often appeal. Which is not to say that I won't enjoy whatever benefits accrue my way but I can't be bothered to go out of my way to accrue them.

Does that make sense?

I am not sure about all cruise lines, but on Royal Caribbean you have to join their Crown and Anchor Society loyalty program - it is not an automatic - many people choose not to join for their own personal reasons. Crown and Anchor on RC also works with Celebrity cruisline's loyalty program, but I believe you also have to join the Celebrity program too - not automatic.

If you don't care about the "loyalty" programs....simply don't worry about them! If you're signed up...fine. If not...fine! Just keep on doing what you're doing!

Even if you are not using the loyalty program as a basis for selecting a cruise, it is good to join, You never know when you might accumulate enough in one program to get a freebie or two

I have looked at the various loyalty programs but the only one I know well is that for Princess. It shows a pattern similar to the others in that the perks are small peanuts compared to the full cost of the vacation. Move the value you realisticaly get into a percent and ask yourself if you should choose based on this small amount.

Do not get me wrong, I will take the perk but it is a mistake book for most of them I have seen.

We do not cruise on Princess because we are Elite.

We are Elite on Princess because it's our favorite cruise line so cruise on Princess most often.

In no way does being Elite on Princess keep us from also cruising on other cruise lines. We like to "sleep around" from time to time. :D

LuLu

To us the loyalty perks are just that perks. We will enjoy them but we will not base our cruising decision on them. We cruise for many different reasons and we choose the ship we sail based on what we want out of that particular vacation...never have those wants included loyalty perks.

Although we have no personal "loyalty" to any cruise line (we have been on 14 lines) as a result of more then forty years cruising we are in the upper tier of many different loyalty programs. Each has some benefits, and some of these benefit are nice to have. When Princess gives DW and I 1000 free internet minutes we do not complain. When Celebrity gives us free cocktails every day (usually a 2 hour party) we accept the free booze. Several cruise lines give us priority tendering and this is a great benefit for us in many tender ports since we can get ashore when we want rather then wait (sometimes for hours). And we do appreciate the free laundry we get on HAL, Princess, Celebrity, RCI, etc.

But we actually agree with much of what the OP says. We do not choose our cruises because of these extra perks. But there are many cruisers who are really into this "loyalty thing" and will cruise on a line for loyalty sake. HAL gives out Medallions as recognition for having cruised a certain number of days (i.e. 100, 300, 500, etc). These Medallions are essentially worthless pieces of cheap metal, but for some of these loyal HAL folks they take this stuff very seriously. In fact, there are some who will bring their Medallions onboard so they can wear them to a few loyalty functions. Go figure.

Hank

I haven't seen a loyalty program yet that would sway me between one line or another. The closest I suppose would be Seabourns and thats only because of the free cruise component.

Some programs are nice to just 'have'. Eg: Crystal gives you a discount on all cruises after your first. At least when doing mock bookings it certainly appeared that way.

I have cruised a lot and on quite a few cruise lines. I am a member on all the loyalty programs on all the cruise lines I have cruised on, however I never even bother to look at what things I get from the loyalty programs. We like to try different ships and different cruise lines so we look at the ships and destinations more then what extra I will get with a loyalty program. When I book I do get to say I am a past passenger but that really is as far as I go for any benefit. I never even go to the past passenger get together because they mean nothing to me. I go on a cruise just to enjoy being at sea and I can do that on any ship.

Good discussion, thanks OctoberKat.

I've seen this type of discussion coming up more and more as the lines are cutting back on their perks.

As for Sally and I, the more we cruise, the more we want to try different experiences and part of that is trying different lines. We cruise often enough that we get some of the loyalty perks on several lines. But the perks are rarely a reason for our choice of lines.

One thing we have noticed the last few years is the more the major lines cut back, the more alike they are becoming in the cruise experiences they offer.

I admit the loud loyalty folks who have never cruise another line are a mystery to me. Loyalty is a fine thing, but there is no integrity comparing the lines when you simply don’t have the experience to know any difference.

Burt

I've seen this type of discussion coming up more and more as the lines are cutting back on their perks.

As for Sally and I, the more we cruise, the more we want to try different experiences and part of that is trying different lines. We cruise often enough that we get some of the loyalty perks on several lines. But the perks are rarely a reason for our choice of lines.

One thing we have noticed the last few years is the more the major lines cut back, the more alike they are becoming in the cruise experiences they offer.

I admit the loud loyalty folks who have never cruise another line are a mystery to me. Loyalty is a fine thing, but there is no integrity comparing the lines when you simply don’t have the experience to know any difference.

Burt

BRAVO! Burt, BRAVO!!!!!!

Burt

Perfect. We like to mix it up and have a variety of experiences and not the same one over and over again. Celebrity has become our first stop when shopping for cruises as we love their ships and the level of service they provide, but we are not loyal to them.

I'm interested in the loyalty programs -- hey, any little perk is nice -- but they take a back seat to other considerations.

Clearly the loyalty programs benefit the companies more than the cruisers. Why? Well, they get people thinking of themselves as a "this company cruiser", or they get people invested in working their way up to ____ level . . . and that keeps them giving their dollars to one company.

These are my personal criteria for choosing a cruise -- no particular order:

- Can I drive to the port?

- Is the ticket price good?

- Do I like the island stops?

- Is it a relatively new ship with amenities that appeal to me?

We have sailed a couple lines, but we have had the best experiences on Royal Caribbean; thus, we check them first -- but that doesn't mean they'll "win" our dollars every time.

I'm interested in the loyalty programs -- hey, any little perk is nice -- but they take a back seat to other considerations.

Clearly the loyalty programs benefit the companies more than the cruisers. Why? Well, they get people thinking of themselves as a "this company cruiser", or they get people invested in working their way up to ____ level . . . and that keeps them giving their dollars to one company.

These are my personal criteria for choosing a cruise -- no particular order:

- Can I drive to the port?

- Is the ticket price good?

- Do I like the island stops?

- Is it a relatively new ship with amenities that appeal to me?

We have sailed a couple lines, but we have had the best experiences on Royal Caribbean; thus, we check them first -- but that doesn't mean they'll "win" our dollars every time.

We've recently decided to focus our sailings on Royal speciffically because they sail out of Port Canaveral AND because we like their level of service. But now that they're talking about moving Dynamic Dining onto more ships, our decision might be reconsidered... And we're expressing this at every level at RCCL. We love the MDR option, and avoid any ships that forgo offering it. Like the old saying goes "Try it, you'll like it". We tried it (Freestyle), we didn't like it".