Using your phone rather than "paper" for cruise notes

tbmrt

This is the first time I will be traveling with very little paperwork for our cruise.

Leaving all notes for the ports, excursions, etc. on my phone in One Drive. (Tested it already)

I'm a bit of belt/suspenders person though, thinking what if the phone gets lost, what if One Drive doesn't work, etc.

How do you all handle this OR am I being overcautious?

Thanks.

I have never been on a cruise (first one coming up) so it will be interesting to see seasoned cruisers answers.

However with that being said, I have gone to Disney a good amount of times and am the same way with everything! For some reason my family leaves the paperwork/ schedule up to me all the time. What I do for Disney is one sheet for each day that stays in my suitecase, then I take the single sheets and shrink them so that they can fit on the front and back of one sheet of paper. Everyone gets a copy and I have everything right in my day bag. Unless someone has a better idea this is what I will do for my cruise also. Only because my phone will be turned off and left in the safe until the day I get back to reality.

I would not want it just on One Drive, what if you don't have Internet access? I have downloaded it all into the Documents folder on my phone so I can see it offline

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I had been going to One Drive and putting files I needed "Offline" to view that way....never thought of using My Files!

Thanks again

I haven't carried paper for most things I use to travel for years.......For the notes I want about where I might go, transit maps, etc, I always use my phone......but everything is available to me offline. If I can't find a map (for instance) that I can use off-line, I photograph a paper one and use the photo. Don't rely on having internet service. The only things I've kept on paper are tickets.

There are various ways to get things available off line, whether it's off-line apps, screen shots of websites, storing PDF files, or photographing your own paper notes. There are various apps for trip planning that would work for rental cars and excursions (Trip-It is popular) - I've used one, but I'm not much of a planner when it comes to vacations, so I found I don't use it often; still, it's a good place to keep reservation numbers and pick up times, etc.

I would not want it just on One Drive, what if you don't have Internet access? I have downloaded it all into the Documents folder on my phone so I can see it offline

I downloaded all the files to my phone as you suggested...

Question (electronically challenged here!)....

How do I update these after I add changes on my PC?

Thanks so much.

It's a vacation...if you lose your notes...just "wing" it! Not that I don't plan things...cause I certainly do, but even with planning, things change, you decided to dump one thing for another... I guess I just don't think it would be the end of the world, if I left my notes behind!

I downloaded all the files to my phone as you suggested...

Question (electronically challenged here!)....

How do I update these after I add changes on my PC?

Thanks so much.

Make the changes on your PC just before you go, then upload them to One Drive. Then download them into your Documents folder overwriting or removing the originals

Been doing exactly this for years, except that I use my iPad, not a phone. Phones are too small for me. Never had an issue. Just download everything you need.

Another great option is to use OneNote. It will easily sync between devices and you will have real copies on your phone. It is just an easier way to do the same thing, but IMO is easier to organize. As best I remember it is a free app.

I use a binder for all my travel confirmations and reservations and on the e-device as backup.

For daily fun stuff unless we have an excursion or a Fast Pass ticket (you know where that's from ;)) we just go with the flow.

I also have everything I need on the one drive, smallest I would use is my tablet before my phone though, but next cruise is long with "fast" wifi included so I am am using my laptop, (no hardship carrying it as drive to the port).

Saying all that I still have one of those thin insert folders you get for presentations, with the important stuff I need to hand, just in case!

These are all great ideas.

I retired five years ago. Among my various job responsibilities in the final 10 years of my 40-year IT career was project management. So, I had to plan for everything for everybody. I am a Theory X kind of guy. So, it was in my nature to plan every nit and follow-up with every project participant. Since I retired, though, I have been happy to abandon most planning exercises. When cruising I mostly worry about what time I have to get to the port for embarcation. On the ship, most of my planning centers around dining options.

:D

As I have often said, though, the great thing about cruising is that every passenger gets to customize his/her experience. Very cool.

It's a vacation...if you lose your notes...just "wing" it! Not that I don't plan things...cause I certainly do, but even with planning, things change, you decided to dump one thing for another... I guess I just don't think it would be the end of the world, if I left my notes behind!

They're important if things are prepaid, or have a non-refundable deposit. Otherwise, I agree they're more like conveniences.

I haven't carried paper for most things I use to travel for years.......For the notes I want about where I might go, transit maps, etc, I always use my phone......but everything is available to me offline. If I can't find a map (for instance) that I can use off-line, I photograph a paper one and use the photo. Don't rely on having internet service. The only things I've kept on paper are tickets.

There are various ways to get things available off line, whether it's off-line apps, screen shots of websites, storing PDF files, or photographing your own paper notes. There are various apps for trip planning that would work for rental cars and excursions (Trip-It is popular) - I've used one, but I'm not much of a planner when it comes to vacations, so I found I don't use it often; still, it's a good place to keep reservation numbers and pick up times, etc.

I also mainly photograph or screen shot info that I need and store them in a cruise album. I sometimes store large PDFs in IBooks (I'm sure other phones have something similar) which can also be used off line. If I lose my phone I've got bigger issues that lost holiday notes [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I keep it all in an excel spreadsheet. I print out two copies for myself and for my husband as well as emailing it to myself before I leave, leave it in my email and also download the attachment to my tablet. One of my copies I leave very accessible for daily reference, the other stays in the safe. We usually travel for two weeks or longer when we do, often to several countries. If we were driving or flying to a port, checking in to a hotel for a night, getting in a ship and doing ship excursions, and then flying home after the cruise, no biggie and ai wouldn't bother. But when plans include several hotels, international air carriers, private excursions, and currency changing several times during a trip, I want it on paper.

One other reason is that there are some places you don't want to have to pull out a device to figure out where you are supposed to be.

One other reason is that there are some places you don't want to have to pull out a device to figure out where you are supposed to be.

Really? I worried about looking lost too, but everywhere I've been there are dozens of people all around me on their phones, texting, talking, reading, and playing games. One more person on a phone doesn't stand out -- I realized I'd blend in more with my device than a paper schedule, map, or book.

There are many ways to store information on your phone to be used off-line, either because the net isn't available or because you don't have enough data in your phone package to access it.

There have been occasions where the clerk on the other side of the counter will refuse to look at your e-device and insist on looking at paper only. Even when the e-file is a pdf of the paper copy :rolleyes:

Better yet, the info on the clerk's screen is the info that generated that pdf in the first place :mad:

Edited by Philob

There have been occasions where the clerk on the other side of the counter will refuse to look at your e-device and insist on looking at paper only. Even when the e-file is a pdf of the paper copy :rolleyes:

Better yet, the info on the clerk's screen is the info that generated that pdf in the first place :mad:

I haven't used paper for any kind of travel in years and never had this happen. If there was a problem, I would kindly ask for a supervisor or move to a positing where there was a different "person" behind the counter.

Edited by snowskier

That is because in most states it is illegal to touch the e-device. Just like when someone asks to see your ID you have to take out of the wallet for them to see it. It can go into legal issues.

I have taken TAM (alcohol training), hospitality law in college and work at a hotel that the owner is a lawyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums