USAir Envoy suite

jerseygirl3

We were able to upgrade to business class on our USAir flt from Philly to Rome. Since it's an overnight flt we're looking forward to the fully reclining seats.

Two questions: anybody familiar with these seats (it's a 330-300 airbus). If so what was your impression? And secondly would it be inappropriate to change into something comfy after dinner service (eg lounge pants and long sleeve t shirt). I'm hoping to take a zquill and nap.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were able to upgrade to business class on our USAir flt from Philly to Rome. Since it's an overnight flt we're looking forward to the fully reclining seats.

Two questions: anybody familiar with these seats (it's a 330-300 airbus). If so what was your impression? And secondly would it be inappropriate to change into something comfy after dinner service (eg lounge pants and long sleeve t shirt). I'm hoping to take a zquill and nap.

I can't answer your questions about the seats but when I whenever flew Virgin Atlantic or BA or Air France-- they all gave logo'd sweats (sweatshirt and pants) to FC clients and almost everyone changed into them to sleep and relax in (changing back before landing).

So yes you would be appropriate

We did Envoy Class (US Air's name for business class) on the Philly to Rome flight a couple years ago. It was very nice. The seats do not recline all the way back, but probably about 90% of the way. They were very comfortable. I think the configuration of seats is 2 - 4 - 2. You might want to check seatguru dot com for more specifics about the seating. Can't comment on the change of attire since I usually just wear a comfy pair of jeans an sweater anyway. (Plus no matter how I try or what I take I just can't seem to sleep on a plane!)

Since this really isn't a cruise question, you should probably ask on one of the boards devoted to air travel.

Valid suggest in addition to posting here...

JERSEYGIRL3 you might want to check out CCs sister website TripAdvisor and their excellent Forum on Air Travel in their Beyond Destinations Section

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ForumHome

Many of the folks there, including the TripAdvisor Desginated Experts work in the industry (ie Flight Attendants etc)

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Flew BA First Class back to Chicago from London in August. As soon as you get seated they offer you lounging pajamas and this was a day flight. Four or five people did change including myself but my wife didn't.

As far as seats go to seat guru and check out the seat info for your flight or by aircraft.

Edited by ozark74

Valid suggest in addition to posting here...

JERSEYGIRL3 you might want to check out CCs sister website TripAdvisor and their excellent Forum on Air Travel in their Beyond Destinations Section

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ForumHome

Many of the folks there, including the TripAdvisor Desginated Experts work in the industry (ie Flight Attendants etc)

Cheers!

Or Flyertalk.com which is my favorite resource for airline related matters.

We did Envoy Class (US Air's name for business class) on the Philly to Rome flight a couple years ago. It was very nice. The seats do not recline all the way back, but probably about 90% of the way. They were very comfortable. I think the configuration of seats is 2 - 4 - 2. You might want to check seatguru dot com for more specifics about the seating. Can't comment on the change of attire since I usually just wear a comfy pair of jeans an sweater anyway. (Plus no matter how I try or what I take I just can't seem to sleep on a plane!)

The seating configuration has been changed on the A330-300 for US and is now 1-2-1 which is actually one of the best industry because no matter your seat, you have aisle access. The seats now recline back to 180 degrees and I sleep very well on those seats. Its smaller than a twin bed in width but you can get some good rest. I use caution when taking anything for a transatlantic flight because it's takes more than 8 hours of restful sleep before those items wear off.

Here's my advice for helping you sleep on a transatlantic flight (if you are originating off the east coast). The day of your flight, set your alarm for 3:30 - 4am. Get up and start doing things around the house and take the day as any other. Once you're on your transatlantic flight, enjoy a glass of wine or two (max, they are little), then go to sleep. Because you were up so early, you will be tired and should fall asleep fast.

We flew this same route in Dec., 2012.

We enjoyed the US Air lounge upstairs at Philly airport.

Upon boarding we were given an amenity pack.....no lounging pajamas!

Think it had eye mask, lip balm, lotion, slipper socks, pen, maybe ear plugs, can't remember the rest. :o

It would not be inappropriate to change into comfy clothes.....have seen others do this. I wore comfortable clothes to begin with. The seats are not full recline, but I did manage to get comfortable and sleep some. I agree with the get up early and then relax and drink some wine once on the plane technique. It helped me to sleep and I did feel somewhat refreshed once we landed in Rome.....much more than I would have in coach!

It's a great SUITE! Fully Flat Bed! Service, Wines and Food are OK! I would fly in Jeans so you can just change your top into a comfy sweater. Flew it a couple of times. Try to get as far as in front as possible and try to get the window seats for ultimate privacy! You wont be able to carry on a conversation in the middle seats. You are too far away from each other and in a wired angle. ENJOY your flight!

OP: Take full advantage of your lie-flat seats (or nearly lie-flat) and bring on your most relaxing sleep-type attire. When I fly international first or business on an overnight in which the airline does not issue PJs, I bring sweat pants or PJs issued by a previous airline, and put them on immediately before takeoff or shortly afterwards. Makes the whole flight very comfortable. Additionally, your nicer day clothes are kept fresh for the next day's use. Enjoy your trip and sleep well!

Wow there's some REALLY bad info on this thread.

Yes, I've flown on the US A330-2/300 on long haul flights, including to FCO.

A few things.

The seats DO in fact recline to a full 180 degrees.

I'll walk you through the entire thing. I have actually flown that equipment on that route.

You will arrive at PHL and check in at the first class line.

After you clear security you will be welcomed into any of the lounges. The one between A east/west which was formerly only for International first class passengers is the nicest of the four US Airways lounges at PHL. When you check in, you might have to remind them to give you your drink coupons--you are entitled to two each.

There will be help yourself canned soft drinks, coffee, tea, cocoa. There's soup and crackers--the soup is really good. There will also be some fruit and packaged cheese, chips and salsa, that's about it. There isn't anything enough to make a meal out of. You might want to have late lunch at Legal Seafoods before going to the lounge if you are at the airport by mid-afternoon, as you won't be fed on the airplane until after 7:30 pm. (Assuming you are on the flight that leaves around 6:30 pm.)

About 5:30 you'll want to start getting yourself packed up. By 5:45 you'll want to be walking to or at the gate. That flight often leaves out of A23 which is a pretty good walk from the lounge. They will begin loading around 5:45.

You'll board and find your seats. There is plenty of overhead room, the bins are usually only about half full in Envoy, as there is basically a bin for each seat. A flight attendant will come buy offering sparkling wine, orange juice, or mimosas, take your choice or even one of each.

On your seat will be a pillow and blanket. There will be a bottle of water, and if the amenity kit isn't there, the flight attendants will pass them out before take off. They contain a pen, earplugs, eye mask, socks, hand cream, lip balm, toothbrush and paste.

There is a TV with a lot of channels and movies plus TV shows, and music options. They provide headphones--nicer than in economy but not Bose or anything like that. There is storage space under the foot rest plus on the shelf between the seat and window, where you will also find a USB plug that you can keep your phone, iPad, iPad, etc. charging during the trip. I want to think there is also 110 power, but I've never used it so I'm not positive. There are plenty of spaces to readily store anything you need to keep at arms length during the flight. Keep in mind that once your bed is flat you can't access anything under the foot rest.

You will also receive a menu which will have the meal choices (choose one of four). it will also explain the starter, appetizer (no choice), salad with choice of two dressings, and choice of three desserts--usually a cake/cheesecake, ice cream, and cheese.

The FA will come around again either right before take off or right after they are allowed to get up to get your order.

Once in the air they will do a cocktail service (or wine/beer) and offer a hot towels and warm nuts. About 15 minutes later they will bring out the salad course. 15-20 minutes after that they will begin to serve the entrees. Hint--the beef is usually overcooked unless you like it well done. I've had pretty good luck with the chicken dishes.

After the entire cabin has been served dinner they will do another round of drinks and begin clearing dinner dishes. I often want a second glass of wine with my dinner--so I order two during the first cocktail service--they are only about 3 ounces each. After they have cleared all the dinner trays and refreshed beverages they begin dessert service. By now it's close to 8:00 pm. Many skip dessert and go to sleep after dinner.

Around 75 minutes before arrival you'll wake up to the smell of fresh brewed coffee. I like to try to wake up a few minutes before everyone else so I can use the bathroom and brush my teeth. Remember to bring a bottle of water, you don't want to use the sink water for tooth brushing.

They will come through the cabin offering coffee/tea/juice as well as taking your order for breakfast. It will be an omelette or other egg dish or cereal or fruit and yogurt. They will also bring around a basket with breads/rolls. It's not a big breakfast, but it will hold you over.

They clean it up pretty quick and usually don't have a second beverage service other than maybe a coffee refill, so if you're going to want more than a small juice, get two at the start.

Shortly after breakfast is over it will be time to put your seat in the upright position, etc. and prepare for landing.

Once you land it's kind of a free for all--one thing US fails on is not holding the economy cabin until the Envoy cabin has gotten off.

If you have checked bags take your time, the Romans certainly do. I'd use the rest room on the plane before you get off as well, the lav on the plane is preferable to the rest rooms at FCO. I'm not kidding. :eek:

Once you have your bags, follow the Sortie signs. There will be a grumpy, disengaged man in a booth. You'll slide your passport through the slot, he'll pretend to glance at it and slide it back. Walk through the doors and that's it.

On the return you'll have much the same experience only instead of dinner and breakfast you'll be served lunch and a light meal. If they have the classic pizza it's actually pretty good.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Oh, and as far as changing, it's not a problem at all. US doesn't provide pajamas like many of the Euro, Mid East, and Asian carriers do, but feel free to bring your own. I wear yoga pants and a t-shirt with a cotton zip front yoga sweater to be comfortable when I fly.

I hope that helps.

Edited by ducklite

Wow there's some REALLY bad info on this thread.

Easy to spot the threads that start outside this forum! :D

What I find a bit bizarre is the OP upgraded wanting fully flat seats but without looking on the US Airways site first to find out what they were upgrading to.

You will arrive at PHL and check in at the first class line.

Even though Envoy isn't an F product? ;)

I've only ever connected at PHL flying US but there aren't separate Envoy desks?

Easy to spot the threads that start outside this forum! :D

What I find a bit bizarre is the OP upgraded wanting fully flat seats but without looking on the US Airways site first to find out what they were upgrading to.

On the A330 they are fully lay flat seats.

Even though Envoy isn't an F product? ;)

I've only ever connected at PHL flying US but there aren't separate Envoy desks?

Envoy is what US considers a hybrid F/J. They only fly Y and Envoy on their long hauls and Y and F on their domestics. On the 767, Envoy is pretty sucky, the only difference between it and domestic first is the AVOD and more food and beverage options.

On the A330 they shine, and I'd put them up against any domestic US F long haul product, and to be honest, the majority of the Euro ones as well. It's not Emirates, but it's up there with BA Club World and a heck of a lot nicer than Air France Business--not far off from the La Premiere First.

There are no separate desks for check in, really no need for it. They don't even have a separate lounge any longer (Club members are now welcome to use the former Internationals Only A lounge--my secret guilty pleasure is to book a flight with a long evening connection time at PHL to sit up there and watch the heavies) but there aren't usually many non-International pax in the A lounge--most are in B/C or over in the Dump.

I don't know of any American airline that offers a dedicated check in for their business class passengers at US airports. I would love to be proven wrong. I haven't seen it with UA, DL or US. They seem to just combine it with their domestic F check in line. Pretty typical for service from American airlines vs. foreign ones.

I don't know of any American airline that offers a dedicated check in for their business class passengers at US airports. I would love to be proven wrong. I haven't seen it with UA, DL or US. They seem to just combine it with their domestic F check in line. Pretty typical for service from American airlines vs. foreign ones.

Air France allows Premium Economy to use the Business and First line--all are lumped together, at least at LAX and PPT.

Air France allows Premium Economy to use the Business and First line--all are lumped together, at least at LAX and PPT.

Just as I said, I don't know of any American airline that offers a dedicated check in for their business class passengers. Now you also confirmed that even some foreign airlines don't either.

A note of caution on using a sleep aid -- don't do it. Flight attendant friends of mine have horror stories to tell about people waking up disoriented etc..And what if there was an emergency and you are in a drugged sleep? Far better instead to have a glass of wine and Melatonin.

The US Airways Envoy Suite on teh A330-200/300 is fantastic. I flew it in April from PHL-VCE for my cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam, and enjoyed it thoroughly. It is one of the better business class cabins for a Trans-Atlantic flight. The 1-2-1 configuration is as good as it gets in business class.

Check out my blog here for a review of the flights and photos.... full text copied below... photos are on blog site. Enjoy:

http://pointsplanesandpassports.com/review-us-airways-business-class-envoy-suites-philadelphia-to-venice/

After a quick and uneventful, yet pleasant flight from Washington-National Airport, we arrived in Philadelphia with about two hours to spare until our scheduled departure time. We were welcomed into the Terminal A US Airways Envoy Lounge where our passports were checked and we were issued two premium drink certificates apiece. The lounge offered a great view of the evening European departures from Terminal A.

I felt it was a very solid lounge for a US domestic carrier – probably one of the better I’ve seen domestically. Boarding for our flight to Venice was announced around 6pm, so we proceeded to the gate and arrived as some of the last passengers to board.

US Airways (US) 714

Philadelphia (PHL) – Venice (VCE)

Aircraft: Airbus A330-200

Seat: 4F (Envoy Suites)

Tuesday, April 28, 2014

6:45PM – 09:15AM (+1 day)

Duration: 8:30

My initial impression of the business cabin was that it looked awfully spacious and nice with the wood paneling on the bulkheads and tables. The US Airways A330-200 features only twenty business class seats (or “Envoy Suites”) as five rows in a a 1-2-1 configuration. The reverse herringbone configuration of these seats is a scaled down version of the same seats used by Cathay Pacific in their international business cabins. Though they lack some of the storage of the Cathay seats, these Envoy Suites are some of the most spacious and nicest business class seats one can fly across the Atlantic. Certainly, they’re currently the best hard product on an US carrier (with the exception of the new American 777-300ER cabin, which are the same type seats as these Envoy Suites). The 1-2-1 business cabin is quickly becoming the standard among airlines, and US Airways deserves some credit for being the first airline to introduce this seat a few years ago. I had more than enough room to stretch out. While fully flat, I was able to stretch out without hitting the wall of the foot well . This is pretty spectacular since I’m 6’4”.

We were offered champagne as soon as we took our seats, as well as a newspaper, an amenity kit, and brand new Bose QC15 noise-canceling headphones. I was quite impressed by the Bose headphones, as I’m used to a much inferior offering on United. They featured American Airlines branding, so they’re on of the first signs of the integration of the two airlines. Menus were distributed and orders were taken prior to departure.

About ten minutes after takeoff, the flight attendant delivered a vodka tonic with warm mixed nuts.

The starter featured a pesto shrimp dish, which was excellent. The salad was quite small, and came on the same plate as the shrimp.

For the entree, I selected the panko-crusted tilapia with mashed potatoes and green beans. The fish was a much larger portion than I was expecting. It was tasty enough, and the mashed potatoes were delicious.

I had the tiramisu AND the Ben & Jerry’s chocolate brownie ice cream for desert – both of which were excellent. My girlfriend ordered the cheese plate and enjoyed that.

Dinner was quite good overall. It was not overly memorable, but was certainly adequate for a business class dinner.

After dinner, I attempted to finish a movie, “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty,” but didn’t last more than ten minutes, as I fell asleep in the lay-flat bed. For whatever reason, I didn’t sleep particularly well that night though the seat itself was quite comfortable. I finally gave up trying after about four hours or so of on-and-off sleep. Not too long after that, the flight attendants started preparing the cabin for breakfast – about 75 minutes prior to scheduled arrival into Venice, as we flew over Paris. There was a choice of fruit and yogurt, or a mushroom and sausage quiche. I opted for the fruit and yogurt while my girlfriend chose the quiche. The fruit was fresh and tasty. The quiche was excellent – easily one of the best egg dishes I’ve sampled on any flight.

After breakfast, I changed and prepared my things for landing. We arrived into Venice about ten minutes ahead of schedule with a beautiful view of the city, the lagoon, and Murano our the starboard side of the airplane.

Overall, I was very impressed with US Airways. I was expecting a very solid hard product, and that’s exactly what I got. The Envoy Suite is an excellent choice for crossing the Atlantic, and it blows away most other US carriers’ offerings as far as comfort is concerned – namely United’s BusinessFirst products and American’s old business class. Admittedly, I had somewhat low expectations for catering and service, but I was pleasantly surprised. The flight attendants working the business class cabin were friendly enough and very efficient – not necessarily memorable, but they certainly provided good enough service. The catering was overall quite good, and I enjoyed a change from the somewhat standard United BusinessFirst menu that I’m used to.

I certainly recommend the US Airways Envoy product, which is found onboard their Airbus A330 fleet. I would choose it again if the choice was between US Airways and /or United. At the end of the day, the 1-2-1 configuration is clearly the most comfortable business class configuration out there, and is one of the best business class options across the Atlantic.

How I booked it…

I was able to book this cabin using 50,000 American Airlines miles and $5 per person for the one-way North America to Europe award ticket. Award availabilty for US Airways flights is easily available via the American Airlines website. An added benefit of using American miles for flights on US Airways is that it presents a Transatlantic option that avoids London-Heathrow and the significant taxes associated with such a flight. There are also no fuel surcharges on US Airways flights, as opposed to the hefty surcharges that exist when flying American’s other transatlantic partners British Airways and Iberia.

A note of caution on using a sleep aid -- don't do it. Flight attendant friends of mine have horror stories to tell about people waking up disoriented etc..And what if there was an emergency and you are in a drugged sleep? Far better instead to have a glass of wine and Melatonin.

I do 30+ overnight flights each year and have never once taken a pill of any kind. It can be done, folks!

Never done the sleepaids either for US East to Europe or any other flight. I got to bed late the night before my flight and wake up very early the next day, then take the last flight of the day I can (or basically not the god awful 6pm departures). Couple that with a decent, flat bed seat and Robert's your mother's brother.