Pool toys allowed in pool?

I will be on the Navigator of the Seas next month. My niece (7) and nephew (5) don't know how to swim so well. They like to sit on this portable 'boat' (small pool lounger) that I have. Does anyone know if the cruise line allows pool toys in their pool? I was thinking also of bringing some dollar store inflatable noodles for them instead of my 'boat'.

I will be on the Navigator of the Seas next month. My niece (7) and nephew (5) don't know how to swim so well. They like to sit on this portable 'boat' (small pool lounger) that I have. Does anyone know if the cruise line allows pool toys in their pool? I was thinking also of bringing some dollar store inflatable noodles for them instead of my 'boat'.

We brought a "water ball" for my kids to play with in the water, but that was the limit of pool toys I saw. I never saw any rafts or floats.

This was on FOS.

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.

The "boat" would definitely be too big I would think as the pools are fairly small and often crowded.

how bout the water wings? even noodles might be intrusive.

We took inflatable floats on the FOS in the Solarium pool, no one seemed to be bothered by it. Then we took inflatable pool noodles to float with and again, no one seemed bothered. The last two cruises on the IOS we purchased what are called "pool saddles" and you sit on it like a saddle and float around the pool much like a cork :) People asked us where we got those and said it was a great idea :D

Here is a picture from a website selling them. We managed to get them for $14.99 during the off season

largeimage-81749.jpg

Those pool saddles look soooo cool! It also looks like they wouldn't take up much space/weight in a suitcase. I might have to look into these for myself. Thanks for the info!!!

Melissa

We took inflatable floats on the FOS in the Solarium pool, no one seemed to be bothered by it. Then we took inflatable pool noodles to float with and again, no one seemed bothered. The last two cruises on the IOS we purchased what are called "pool saddles" and you sit on it like a saddle and float around the pool much like a cork :) People asked us where we got those and said it was a great idea :D

Here is a picture from a website selling them. We managed to get them for $14.99 during the off season

largeimage-81749.jpg

A 5 and 7 year old will probably not be allowed to swim in a Solarium pool. I agree with water wings...these pools are small and on a warm and sunny sea day will be crowded. Best to save the float toys for a port...or possible grab some additional swim lessons for the kids...water safety lasts a lifetime:D

A 5 and 7 year old will probably not be allowed to swim in a Solarium pool. I agree with water wings...these pools are small and on a warm and sunny sea day will be crowded. Best to save the float toys for a port...or possible grab some additional swim lessons for the kids...water safety lasts a lifetime:D

Like!!! Get a few swim lessons in. At 5 and 7 they should be able to swim and if not, catch on quickly. It's a life saver!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I could see bringing the pool toys for swimming you might do at a port. On the cruise, every pool I have seen (that kids were allowed in) has been very crowded. You really don't swim in the pool. People are really just hanging out.

I would also suggest making sure the 5 and 7 year old get swimming lessons asap. Even with a float, you would hate to have an accident.

Like!!! Get a few swim lessons in. At 5 and 7 they should be able to swim and if not, catch on quickly. It's a life saver!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Didn't know all kids at age 5 can swim. :rolleyes: Mine is 5 and has had swim lessons and cannot swim yet. He uses a small inner tube and plan on taking it on our cruise. It doesn't take up any space.

Didn't know all kids at age 5 can swim. :rolleyes: Mine is 5 and has had swim lessons and cannot swim yet. He uses a small inner tube and plan on taking it on our cruise. It doesn't take up any space.

It may not take up space in the suitcase, but it may take up space, or because of crowded areas in the pool, might even be dangerous for your child. Pools are small and can become quite crowded in summer/spring break cruises. (Not sure when you are sailing)

Water wings or the flotation swimsuits seem to work best in the ship pools.

enjoy

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

The most I generally see people do is have floaties or small toys like the sinking rings you dive for.

The pools really aren't that big, and in my experience on sea days big inflatable things will be in the way. There just isn't room. On port days where most people are off the ship, sure.

Those pool saddles look soooo cool! It also looks like they wouldn't take up much space/weight in a suitcase. I might have to look into these for myself. Thanks for the info!!!

Melissa

I have a travel Aqua Jogger that I use in the ports, not in the ship's pool. It folds up to pack. I put it on the top of everything else in my suitcase, and don't have to worry about the pressure from being stacked/handled during embarkation crushing or breaking something that might be close to the surface (hair dryer, toiletries, shoes, etc.).

As a former lifeguard I cringe when I hear people want to bring floating toys for kids who can't swim or swim well. I'm sure you will still be vigilant in watching your kids, even if they have floaties, but too many parents at places I have been lifeguarding seem to think that a non-swimmer with an inner tube or other device is perfectly safe and doesn't need to be watched carefully.

Sometimes I think floaties make it more dangerous, since they give a sense of safety, but a non-swimmer can drown in such a little time--and kids who get in trouble in the water don't make a big noisy fuss, they just quietly slip under the water.

A lifejacket or at least water wings are much safer. Swimming lessons, of course, should be a priority, but even then kids need to be watched carefully.

Just got off Navigator last week and pools were severely crowed. Last thing you want is some kid swinging a noodle around and whacking someone. Wife almost got kicked in face by some kid trying to swim around and dive down in the pools. These pools are made for "soaking and cooling off", not swimming around. Kids under 16 are not allowed in Solarium pool and they do enforce that. Saw a lot of water wings and water vests which were OK. There is a shallow area fenced off for kids at one end of one of the pools.

Nebraska Cruiser is right. a kid could very easily get lost in the mass of people and never be noticed or even be not able to get to the ladder as people tended to congergate around it. Pools are a minimum of 4 and a half feet deep. Only area shallower is fairly wide ledges around pool which have water on them and kids fenced off area. These are certianly not your backyard pools and lake swiming areas.

Melissa

They don't weigh anything and smash down in a suitcase and don't take up any more space than a pair of shorts :D We could float in the pool and have a drink at the same time :p