Best way to pack clothes and avoid wrinkles??

no1volman

I'm horrible at folding and packing clothes. They always look like I've slept in them when I unpack. I've seen you tube videos that show how to roll up your clothes instead of folding to avoid wrinkles. Does anyone actually use this method?

I'm horrible at folding and packing clothes. They always look like I've slept in them when I unpack. I've seen you tube videos that show how to roll up your clothes instead of folding to avoid wrinkles. Does anyone actually use this method?

I don't know about this method. The way the porters toss luggage around I'm sure it doesn't make a load of difference how well you pack.

My wife brings a bottle of wrinkle relaxer. She just said "Tell him to get Downy Wrinkle Relaxer, it will change his life". So there you have it.

She also suggests lying all of your clothing out flat in the suitcase.

Happy Unwrinkled Cruising

Jonathan

I roll most all our clothes. You will be amazed how much you can fit into a suitcase doing this. I was not very good at it when I started but have gotten better.

I usually lay our shorts, my capri's and jeans flat in the bottom.....then I layer all of my rolled clothes on top of that.

On our dressier clothes.....I leave them on hangers and cover them with a plastic dry cleaner's bag.....fold them in half and lay them on the very top.

You may see a few wrinkles on your rolled clothes when you first get them out, but a little while on a hanger in the closet and they will be fine. The dressy clothes will come out without a wrinkle (at least my do)

Have a wonderful cruise!!!

Rolling works well for me, especially with my slacks. When I roll an item..I then secure it with rubber bands. Some items do well if you first put them in a plastic cover (like you get from dry cleaners) and then fold them. Another technique we use is to interlock clothes (such as shirts) and folks them in a way that there are always some layers of other clothes in the middle. This helps prevent sharp folds....which usually result in creases and wrinkles.

Hank

In addition to the tips that have already been shared (rolling, plastic dry cleaners bags etc), I suggest using zip lock plastic bags for small items. It keeps things organized and there is less shifting/moving of items in your suit case. I haven't purchased the packing cubes but repurposed the stiff plastic zippered bags that linens (sheets, pillow cases, duvet covers) come in. In my mind, it comes down to having everything tightly packed so nothing shift during handling.

Personally, I haven't found the Downy Wrinkle Remover to be that useful. Perhaps its effectiveness depends on the fabric that is being dewrinkled. Hanging clothes in the bathroom while you shower does help release some wrinkles - again, probably depends on the fabric.

Yes, I roll everything. For items that are very prone to wrinkling, such a linen pants, I lay one sheet of gift bag tissue paper on both the top and bottom of the item of clothing, and then roll it up.

For items that need to be laundered, I use a compression bag (a bag of which you place your items into, and then roll up to release air).

Edited by brunello22

I now use "packing cubes" inside our luggage. Relatively inexpensive if you get them through amazon dot com.

I've been testing this for literally months. Perhaps it is the clothing that I'm packing but there is very minimal wrinkling.

I also second the Downy Wrinkle Release. You can get the stuff in travel size and it is worth the minimum amount you pay for it.

It's Ford vs Chevy if you fold or roll. I've seen a demo that shows rolling saves no space and it's easy to just roll wrinkles into your clothes as well. When I want to take the time to do it right, I do something like this video where your clothes make a package and the folds end up being wide so they don't cause wrinkles.

You will not be allowed to have a steamer in your cabin. It's considered a fire hazard.

I take along a little spray bottle to fill with water. A light mist on the wrinkled clothes, hanging them up, and smoothing out the worst of the areas works well enough for me. I'm on vacation, and most other people are walking around a little rumpled, too.

If you do need anything pressed, the ship's laundry can handle that for you.

Use my approach. Pack them and do not worry about the wrinkles. Now if you ask my wife, she would not agree w this approach.

DON

Is it just me or does anyone else chuckle at the title of this thread when it comes to the top again? :D:D:D

On topic, I roll as many of my items as possible, and we also use dry cleaner bags for our items in the garment bag. Other than that, we don't worry about the clothes too much.

For wrinkles, I have used Oil of Olay on my face for over 30 years and have gotten many compliments on my complexion. :p

Is it just me or does anyone else chuckle at the title of this thread when it comes to the top again? :D:D:D

On topic, I roll as many of my items as possible, and we also use dry cleaner bags for our items in the garment bag. Other than that, we don't worry about the clothes too much.

For wrinkles, I have used Oil of Olay on my face for over 30 years and have gotten many compliments on my complexion. :p

I have not one wrinkle on my face. Lubriderm, regular unscented, for over 40 years :)

Edited by janetz

I use the Eagle Creek packs and packing cubes. They keep things relatively wrinkle free and organized.

Roz

I second this! Since we started using them we've been able to pack a couple weeks in advance and everything comes out with VERY few wrinkles.

IMO, don't worry about wrinkles, I don't I'm on vacation and if someone is worried about how I look, with or without wrinkles, then I'd have to say they're really not on vacation but on fashion patrol.

Hanging them up as soon as we get in our cabin works fine, most of the time and that's all the effort I put into wrinkles.

I don't know about this method. The way the porters toss luggage around I'm sure it doesn't make a load of difference how well you pack.

My wife brings a bottle of wrinkle relaxer. She just said "Tell him to get Downy Wrinkle Relaxer, it will change his life". So there you have it.

I went looking for the wrinkle relaxer today and tried several stores. I was finally told it has been discontinued. :(