Next up Hurricane Erica

Interesting, I couldn't help but notice your over use of acronyms as well. Does anyone else see the humour in this?

Except the ones that you painstakingly pointed out pertained to a certain subject in the post or are widely recognized by most, even me. MN and CTN sure are not widely know.

I just saw that all the ports from Miami to Jacksonville are at WHISKEY. That's something to do with when they're expecting higher wind and seas.

Does anyone know if this will effect Royal's decision on the Sunday sailings from Port Canaveral?? :D

I asked my husband who is a merchant marine and he dies not know either

I'm surprised he doesn't know the term. It's a condition set by a port when they are considering closures. It sets requirements for ships to report, via checklist, their intentions, length of stay, etc, to the Captain of the Port. It also sets a time limit for ships to leave prior to storm force winds.

In other nautical terms, the Whiskey flag is the signaling device when medical assistance is needed.

see

https://homeport.uscg.mil/cgi-bin/st/portal/uscg_docs/MyCG/Editorial/20150603/2015%20Signed%20Heavy%20WX%20Plan.pdf?id=3a6a65d955a6b52e47b5dfa58627fe294b7ff264&user_id=34b5deb6f51bbbbbb78a0fe85a44d5d5

this is the heavy weather plan for Jacks' and Canaveral ... every port has similar

See table 1.2 page 1-3

Hurricane Condition Whiskey is set when sustained Gale Force winds from a hurricane force storm are predicted within 72 hours.

All mariners are reminded that there are no safe havens in the port areas listed and that the port is safest when the inventory of vessels is at a minimum. Both oceangoing and inland vessels and barges over 500 gross tons that wish to remain in the ports listed above must submit a Remaining in Port Checklist to the Captain of the Port and should contact the Prevention Office immediately. If/when Condition Yankee is set, vessel movement will be restricted and allowed only on a case-by-case basis by approval of the COTP. All vessels expecting to conduct cargo operations during Condition Yankee shall submit a Cargo Operations Plan to terminal owners for approval. All ship-to-shore operations must be completed six hours prior to the setting of Port Condition ZULU.

Sustained gale force winds expected within 24 hours = Condition YANKEE and the port goes into a restricted operations status

12 hours = condition ZULU and the port is closed except as approved by COTP

Edited by Capt_BJ

We are on the freedom at the moment, we watched a video in the stateroom of the captain explaining about the weather and possible storm.

He said we may encounter some choppy seas on Saturday evening as we head back to port and that they are looking at other possibilities for the next cruise on Sunday.

We are on the freedom at the moment, we watched a video in the stateroom of the captain explaining about the weather and possible storm.

He said we may encounter some choppy seas on Saturday evening as we head back to port and that they are looking at other possibilities for the next cruise on Sunday.

Keep us posted..

I'd be watch this among others

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/marine/graphicast.php?basin=at#contents

AMZ117-290330-

BAHAMAS INCLUDING CAY SAL BANK-

1125 AM EDT FRI AUG 28 2015

...TROPICAL STORM WARNING...

.THIS AFTERNOON...E TO SE WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS 5 TO 7 FT ATLC

EXPOSURES...AND 3 FT ELSEWHERE. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED

TSTMS.

.TONIGHT...E WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS 6 TO 9 FT IN E TO SE SWELL ATLC

EXPOSURES... AND 3 TO 5 FT ELSEWHERE.

.SAT...TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS EXPECTED. ATLC EXPOSURES...E

WINDS 25 TO 30 KT. SEAS 12 FT. ELSEWHERE...E WINDS 30 TO 40 KT.

SEAS 7 TO 10 FT. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED TSTMS.

.SAT NIGHT...TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS EXPECTED. ATLC

EXPOSURES...E TO SE WINDS 25 TO 30 KT...DIMINISHING TO 20 TO 25

KT LATE. ELSEWHERE...E WINDS 35 TO 40 KT. SEAS 9 TO 11 FT.

SCATTERED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED TSTMS.

.SUN...TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS POSSIBLE. E TO SE WINDS 15 TO

20 KT ATLC EXPOSURES...AND E TO SE 40 TO 45 KT ELSEWHERE. SEAS 7

TO 8 FT.

.SUN NIGHT...TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS POSSIBLE.

.MON...SE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT.

.MON NIGHT...E TO SE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 3 TO 4 FT.

.TUE...SE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 3 FT.

.TUE NIGHT...E TO SE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 3 FT.

VOLUSIA-BREVARD COUNTY LINE TO SEBASTIAN INLET 20-60 NM-

1014 AM EDT FRI AUG 28 2015

THIS AFTERNOON

SOUTHEAST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS. SEAS 3 FEET WITH

A DOMINANT PERIOD 9 SECONDS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

TONIGHT

SOUTHEAST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS. SEAS 4 FEET WITH A

DOMINANT PERIOD 11 SECONDS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

SATURDAY

EAST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS. SEAS 4 TO 5 FEET WITH A

DOMINANT PERIOD 11 SECONDS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

SATURDAY NIGHT

EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 5 TO 6 FEET.

CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

SUNDAY

EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS INCREASING TO 15 TO 20 KNOTS

IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS 7 FEET. SHOWERS LIKELY AND CHANCE OF

THUNDERSTORMS.

SUNDAY NIGHT

TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS POSSIBLE. SHOWERS

LIKELY AND CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS.

Edited by Capt_BJ

uh oh, I'm on that cruise departing the 30th. sounds like we may potentially be in for an altered itinerary?

We had the altered itinerary and to be honest it's been lovely, as a Brit I would have never visited the less main stream places such as Grand Cayman if we sailed the original schedule.

No matter where you go I'm sure you'll have a good time, the ship is lovely and the crew are fantastic.

Glad to see Captain Holmes on Freedom of Seas keeping everything updated! Had the pleasure of meeting and dining with him 2 weeks ago on the Freedom! His motto is to get the information to the passengers as soon as possible! Admire that and I'm sure the passengers appreciate it as well!

so indy will be tagging along with us next week!? where did rcl say they've chosen an altered itinerary for indy

A few people have said they called and were told. AFAIK they haven't notified anyone or announced anything. I haven't received any notification. I can't imagine Freedom and Indy being at Labadee at the same time.