Black suit or tux

glennbtn

Hi All

What is the percentage of people who will wear say a black suit rather than a tux?

I have a black suit I was going to wear on the black tie evenings but I have been told I would be the odd one out by someone.

Any advise here would be good.

Thanks

Glenn

Hi All

What is the percentage of people who will wear say a black suit rather than a tux?

I have a black suit I was going to wear on the black tie evenings but I have been told I would be the odd one out by someone.

Thanks

Glenn

You won't be, wear a black bow tie and no one will notice.

David.

When we usually sail from Southampton my husband takes both, but this year we are doing a fly/cruise so he will just be taking his black suit as it weighs less.

Last year he only wore his suit as he gets too warm and he could wear a short sleeved white shirt under it.

What a waste - think of the extra outfits I could have taken instead in place of his tux!

Hi All

Thanks

Glenn

On most of our cruises the number of men wearing a DJ is between 90% and 95%. This is on all ships and all through the year as you can see from my signature.

However there is absolutely nothing wrong with a dark suit and tie or bow tie.

However if you intend to cruise more then you may see a DJ as an investment. A DJ is a great leveller. On a long cruise I sometimes where a black tie with my DJ the tie has little glitter things in it so it sparkles.

There will be more in Tuxs overall, but you certainly wont be the odd one out. A dark lounge suit is perfectly acceptable for the dress code on Formal Night, so you could do bow tie on black and white night, and a regular tie on the other formalnights if you wish.

On most of our cruises the number of men wearing a DJ is between 90% and 95%. This is on all ships and all through the year as you can see from my signature.

However there is absolutely nothing wrong with a dark suit and tie or bow tie.

However if you intend to cruise more then you may see a DJ as an investment. A DJ is a great leveller. On a long cruise I sometimes where a black tie with my DJ the tie has little glitter things in it so it sparkles.

I would respectfully disagree. The proportion wearing a bow tie is about 90-95%, but the proportion wearing a dinner jacket is significantly less. Not that anyone cares either way - I cruised loads of times before buying my first ready-made bow tie - and the people in dinner jackets and proper bow ties could not care less.

This will be our first ever cruise and I dont own a suit, so I need to buy one. I shall be buying a charcoal coloured suit as it will be more suitable for other occasions, and I will pack a black tie. If I'm the only bloke wearing a non black suit then I honestly couldn't care less.

Edited by Big Stevie
  • Like 1

MY other half wears an almost black suit, dress shirt and bow tie and he looks stunning.

All the men look great in black tie, but I honestly wouldn't examine them to see if it is an ordinary suit or not.

Just go for it with a dress shirt and bow tie and enjoy!!

Edited by indiana123

This will be our first ever cruise and I dont own a suit, so I need to buy one. I shall be buying a charcoal coloured suit as it will be more suitable for other occasions, and I will pack a black tie. If I'm the only bloke wearing a non black suit then I honestly couldn't care less.

I'd recommend a Black bow tie and dress shirt, not a normal black tie, unless you want to look like a funeral director.

Edited by Thejuggler

I'd recommend a Black bow tie and dress shirt, not a normal black tie, unless you want to look like a funeral director.

No if he was one of those he would have a black suit already.

Although he has a couple of aged Dinner suits (at least 15 years old) my husband has purchased a more modern tailored black suit which he plans to wear on formal nights teamed with dress shirts and bow ties. I have just bought him an assortment of bow ties including a black and white patterned one for Black and White night, albeit none are standard black :)

Just expanding this theme.....

can you please state the difference between a shirt and a "dress shirt"?

I remember back in the 70s when dinosaurs stalked the earth, that dress shirts had the frilly bits down the front. ( I have a horrible picture of Jason King in my head now!)

How does a dress shirt differ?

Many thanks

I remember back in the 70s when dinosaurs stalked the earth, that dress shirts had the frilly bits down the front. ( I have a horrible picture of Jason King in my head now!)

Many thanks

Dress shirt is one with a fancy panel down the front, pleats and the like. They can also have stand up collars.

Many thanks

Dress shirts tend to have a pleated placket or a marcella front these days. Buttons tend to be hidden with a fly fronted strip alternatively you can get Tuxedo Studs to use in lieu of buttons where you purchase a convertible shirt. These have a linen strip with the buttons on protruding through button holes on the right hand row of button holes then you fasten these to the button holes on the left hand row of button holes. If you get the studs you throw away the linen strip with buttons on. Ebay have nice shiney Swarovski Tuxedo Studs around £30.

Alternatively if you really want to stand out from the crowd you can still get "those frilly bits that go down the front". They attach to the buttons down the front of the shirt and can be washed separately or buy a ruffle shirt with the frill attached. If you really want to stand out go the detatchable route, and have the soup. There is nothing funnier than seeing somebodies frilly ruffle detach and fall into a bowl of soup.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Another vote here for a dark suit, it's absolutely fine. I have not noticed the percentage of tuxs, more the percentage not dressed up. My husband wears a dark suit with dress shirt and bow tie -a black one for the black and white and a blue one for other nights for a change!

We were a bit nervous on our first cruise if we would look out of place - but we were fine!

You can get a dress shirt with bow tie at Matalan for about £11.99 :)

I'm going to be on Ventura in July with my 10yr old son. Are children allowed into black tie evenings?

Ta

Of course they are, and if shoehorning him into a suit would be an issue, children arent required to dress in full 'formal' wear-

"Children

When dining in the informal buffet restaurants children can be casually dressed, if children are going to be with you in the evening in the more formal restaurants and theatre then, even on our Black Tie and Smart evenings, children can still dress more casually adopting our Evening Casual dress code, although denim isn’t allowed on these nights."

Of course, your boy may turn out to be a young gentleman who insists on having the full get up, bow tie and all....:)

Many thanks

My husbands dress shirts are very understated plain white with a plain panel covering the buttons (he doesn't want to wear studs), and holes in the cuffs for cuff links. The collars are smaller than his work shirts and the cotton probably better quality. No frills for him however the bow ties are rather less understated :)

I take two dinner suits, one has a shawl collar and the other more modern one has a notched collar and is actually a mid grey but has satin edges to the collar and the standard satin stripe down the trousers so a grey suit is fine. I also take a white tux to wear as well. I don't think anybody really minds as long as you wear a suit and tie.

All my formal shirts are wing collars but I do like my bow ties. My current favourite is a black background with guitars printed on it :D

I do also try to match the colour of my tie to my partners dress. :cool:

So the watch word is be smart but be comfortable.

Peter

I take two dinner suits, one has a shawl collar and the other more modern one has a notched collar and is actually a mid grey but has satin edges to the collar and the standard satin stripe down the trousers so a grey suit is fine. I also take a white tux to wear as well. I don't think anybody really minds as long as you wear a suit and tie.

All my formal shirts are wing collars but I do like my bow ties. My current favourite is a black background with guitars printed on it :D

I do also try to match the colour of my tie to my partners dress. :cool:

So the watch word is be smart but be comfortable.

Peter

Matching ties to dresses, hmmm maybe I need to go shopping for new dresses to match his new ties :)