Deaf employed on cruise ships?

laceydoxie

This will vary by cruise line, as some will only comp the cabin fare for the interpreter, and the interpreter has to consider it an unpaid working vacation.

Also, the hiring of interpreters is not mandated for cruises starting or ending in the US. As I noted in an earlier post, the SCOTUS ruled in Spector v. NCL that not all aspects of the ADA apply to foreign flag cruise ships, most importantly being those that pertain solely to the ship's "internal policies and procedures", which the providing of interpreters falls under. While I feel it is great that some of the lines will comp a cabin, and some also pay the interpreter, just know that it is not a universal thing across all lines, and is done for guest relations, not legally mandated.

Yeah I probably should have added that sometimes the "pay" is a free cruise. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yeah I probably should have added that sometimes the "pay" is a free cruise. :)

Sometimes, but even that is improving with education and advocacy. *smile* It just shows that there are ways for a deaf person to work as a contractor on a ship. The options are out there it just takes a bit of research.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

Sometimes, but even that is improving with education and advocacy. *smile* It just shows that there are ways for a deaf person to work as a contractor on a ship. The options are out there it just takes a bit of research.

Sure, there are accommodations that, when made, will allow a high proportion of people with disabilities to be employed in many work places. But if a person can not hear well enough to meet the regulatory requirements for working on a ship they are out of consideration. The ability lacking, hearing acuity, is clearly a BFOQ.

There is also a serious question about whether an accommodation requested by an employee or applicant is reasonable.

I have yet to see a sign language interpreter working "on stage" in a public on a cruise, and we are frequent cruisers. From that I assume that accommodation is not routine.

It all depends on which shows and times you pick and which shows and times the deaf passengers pick. I was on a 7 day cruise (being an interpreter myself I tend to notice deaf passengers or interpreters) it was not until the last night when our schedules crossed and I saw them interpreting a show in the theatre.

I'm also in the list to see the job requests when they come through and there are several of them. Yes, I would say it is an accommodation that is becoming more routine.

And I will bet that if it is a group that has specific needs for an interpreter, the fare for that group reflects the cost of the required interpreter. So in the end, the people who need the interpreter pay for them.

DON

Can companies legally charge extra for such accommodations?

No I meant for interpreters. :)

Even contractors (e.g. manicurists, musicians, dance hosts) have muster stations even if it's just to give directions to the stairways. Therefore if one's hearing threshold fails to meet the minimum requirements that person cannot be employed on a cruise ship in any capacity. Unless there is a change in technology and/or international maritime law that is the way it is. Advocacy and telling us that we need education and/or empathy cannot change the reality that a deaf person cannot hear announcements and directions.

Even contractors (e.g. manicurists, musicians, dance hosts) have muster stations even if it's just to give directions to the stairways. Therefore if one's hearing threshold fails to meet the minimum requirements that person cannot be employed on a cruise ship in any capacity. Unless there is a change in technology and/or international maritime law that is the way it is. Advocacy and telling us that we need education and/or empathy cannot change the reality that a deaf person cannot hear announcements and directions.

I was an independent contractor on a ship and did not have a muster station assigned to me. A CDI would be working with a team of interpreters that includes hearing interpreters.

I was an independent contractor on a ship and did not have a muster station assigned to me. A CDI would be working with a team of interpreters that includes hearing interpreters.

Let me clarify my responsibility would have been to make sure the deaf passengers I was hired for had the information they needed in an emergency. A CDI would have the same responsibilities and be teamed with a hearing interpreter. These jobs and asignmnets already exist. It's not a need of future advocacy though that may very well open more doors.

There are a few "contractors" who are granted "passenger status", meaning they live in a passenger cabin, and have free access to all passenger amenities at all times when not working, and they are treated as passengers for emergency duties. This is typically musical headliners, comedians and magicians, and in your case someone who is providing a specific service to a specific group of passengers (dialysis technicians come to mind as well). So, yes, technically the boy could work on a cruise ship while deaf, but only when requested, and I don't believe that is all that common.

As a special educator for the past 35 years,....

I know you wish to advocate for your child's transition skill development, but I can assure you that teens must self-direct the school - to -work process for it to have a successful result.

OMG, what a concept.

Watch out, in some areas you would be tarred and feathered for suggesting that the actual person needs to self-direct and not be GIVEN what their parents want.

He could work at corporate, that's better than nothing, yes?
I think this is actually the better option. My understanding is if you work for a cruise line you get huge discounts and/or free cruises. The pay has got to be better too.

The reason you rarely see Americans working on cruise ships is that most Americans wouldn't want to work the long hours for the relatively small pay. The few positions you see Americans perform are cruise director or some part of the entertainment staff.

IMO, saying "I want to work on a cruise ship" is kind of like saying "I want to work in an office."

What EXACTLY does your son want to DO on that cruise ship? What makes the thought of a career on a ship so appealing to him.

For the moment, set aside his hearing issue and focus on what he wants to do and why. I haven't been on many cruises, but the only American crew members I've met are entertainers and maybe some of the CD staff. That's it. So even IF he could be cleared, what would he do?

Maybe you should encourage him to focus first on what he wants to be and then to think about where he can do that work.

I agree. Does he want to be a busboy, Captain, dancer, etc.?

I think this is actually the better option. My understanding is if you work for a cruise line you get huge discounts and/or free cruises. The pay has got to be better too.

The reason you rarely see Americans working on cruise ships is that most Americans wouldn't want to work the long hours for the relatively small pay. The few positions you see Americans perform are cruise director or some part of the entertainment staff.

I agree. Does he want to be a busboy, Captain, dancer, etc.?

My guess is that when any young American teenager dreams of "working on a cruise ship", that visualized "work" probably involves little more than just "being" on a cruise ship --- preferably sleeping in a balcony cabin.

My guess is that when any young American teenager dreams of "working on a cruise ship", that visualized "work" probably involves little more than just "being" on a cruise ship --- preferably sleeping in a balcony cabin.

From watching too many reruns of Love Boat on MeTV. :D

Let me clarify my responsibility would have been to make sure the deaf passengers I was hired for had the information they needed in an emergency. A CDI would have the same responsibilities and be teamed with a hearing interpreter. These jobs and asignmnets already exist. It's not a need of future advocacy though that may very well open more doors.

Does a CDI need to have a specified minimum level of hearing acuity?

From watching too many reruns of Love Boat on MeTV. :D

I watched that the other day. I laughed when I saw the cruise workers sitting in lounge chairs by the pool chatting up the guests. I've never seen a worker sitting down no matter what their job is.

I have seen a sign language interpreter on a ship before. I don't know if she was a guest, or was someone that was working for them. Perhaps they have a part time "as needed" position for one.

I have seen several large groups of hearing impaired passengers on ships. They usually bring an interpreter along for the cruise.

I have noticed a very few crew who sign, but I have not tested their skill level.

I watched that the other day. I laughed when I saw the cruise workers sitting in lounge chairs by the pool chatting up the guests. I've never seen a worker sitting down no matter what their job is.

not now, but I remember on my first cruise - The Big Red Boat - that dates me I am sure; it was very rough on our first night out and when I got back to my cabin my wife and three kids had been really sick - (yes our cabin had 5 peoples in it). Since I did not want to disturb them I considerately grabbed a bottle of Scotch I had brought on board (remember those days - brought in my carry on, not smuggled) and took it up top. I set it on a table and quickly had about 5 crew members joining me for a night cap. We set up for a couple of hours until it was gone (I may have gone back for a back-up bottle) and I slept the rest of the night in a chase lounge as the atmosphere in my cabin was still very toxic.

Where??????? What kind of lounge is that?????? Really puzzled!!:o

I'm more puzzled at the idea that he left his sick wife alone to care for his seasick children, while he went up to the top deck and drank. Why didn't you help your poor wife?? She wasn't contagious.

I'm more puzzled at the idea that he left his sick wife alone to care for his seasick children, while he went up to the top deck and drank. Why didn't you help your poor wife?? She wasn't contagious.

There are so many reasons he might have left his sick wife alone, one of which being they communicated with each other (as adults in healthy relationships do) and agreed that was the best course of action.