odd sailaway question

joekerstef

Remember the old days (say, Love Boat era) when passengers used to throw confetti and pop streamers as a ship departed on a voyage? I get why that doesn't happen anymore, but my question is is it permissible to bring a small bottle of bubbles to blow in lieu of throwing papery/pollutey/messy things? Didn't see bubbles on the list of prohibited items but I may as well leave them at home if they'll be confiscated or people will get cranky about bubbles floating by. :D

Obviously, I'm in the minority as I wouldn't mind bubbles. I wouldn't bring them myself, because I fly to the embarkation port, but I think it's a great idea. And they would be fun during the cruise as well.

I'm also going to be a naysayer on the bubbles because I'm not a fan of getting soap in my eyes when they pop. But if you plan to be on your own balcony for sailaway and there's no one on the balconies around you, then have at it!

Depending on which way the wind is blowing and which way the ship is going - do the bubbles from the most downwind position on the ship and nobody should mind. Since they are mostly water the quantity of harsh ingredients is pretty small if they get in the ocean. Homemade bubble solution made with something like 7th Generation brand dish soap is non-toxic and biodegradable. Nothing in it that's not already in seawater anyway.

Whether it's bubble or banner or flags or something else I agree sailaway could be a little more festive just having high priced sailaway special drinks. :rolleyes:

Remember the old days (say, Love Boat era) when passengers used to throw confetti and pop streamers as a ship departed on a voyage? I get why that doesn't happen anymore, but my question is is it permissible to bring a small bottle of bubbles to blow in lieu of throwing papery/pollutey/messy things? Didn't see bubbles on the list of prohibited items but I may as well leave them at home if they'll be confiscated or people will get cranky about bubbles floating by. :D

I do not want you to get bubbles on me or my glasses. You really better not get bubbles on my camera or you will be socked w a really big camera repair bill.

DON

I do not want you to get bubbles on me or my glasses. You really better not get bubbles on my camera or you will be socked w a really big camera repair bill.

DON

Agree with Don 110%!!! Just bought a new camera for our upcoming cruise. Also do you want someone to slip/fall and get hurt from your actions?

Oh my gosh! I cannot believe all the Negative Nancys here! It's bubbles!!!!! Get a grip!

Bring the bubbles! Have fun! Odds are you are going to make some people upset if you happen to breathe in some of THEIR allotted oxygen at some point during the cruise, so you might as well tick them off on the first day with something that makes YOU happy!!!!!!!!! :)

Ya know, it was a mess with all the confetti and streamers. As you sailed away, it just sat on top of the water (happened in San Pedro in the late 80s).

In the right spot, the bubbles idea is really cool. In the wrong spot, you'll have all of these naysayers on your case - or maybe they would just walk away. That is what most prudent people would do, just walk away. Do the bubbles.

Jim

Yeah, I am surprised to. One would think buckets of detergent are being tossed in the air!

Or Lawrence Welk had arrived.

While I'm glad it is no longer being done, I AM glad to have experienced it as a kid when my great Aunt and Uncle sailed Royal Viking from San Pedro. We got to board with them and sit awhile in one of the lounges. I think that sort of planted a seed......

All of these negative comments are cracking me up. They are bubbles for heavens sake. They won't ruin your clothes. They will also not ruin your camera or glasses.

I think some people complain to just be complaining.

Bring your bubbles and have fun. In fact, bring one of those bubble machines.

Get a grip people.

Oh my gosh! I cannot believe all the Negative Nancys here! It's bubbles!!!!! Get a grip!

Bring the bubbles! Have fun! Odds are you are going to make some people upset if you happen to breathe in some of THEIR allotted oxygen at some point during the cruise, so you might as well tick them off on the first day with something that makes YOU happy!!!!!!!!! :)

Another vote for BUBBLES!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

I agree with this one!!!

HahA! I love your post! And agree with you 100%. You know the fuddy duddy's on here will report your post!:D Really now! Making fun of their oxygen!!!:p

As for myself on my next sailaway...I plan to light off an assortment of fireworks. M-80's, Roman CAndles, etc. Anyone here have a problem with that???

I think it would be fun to have someone blowing bubbles. I remember throwing the paper streamers at sailaway on my first Carnival cruise (1988). On some of our Princess cruises (in the past 10 years), they had the paper streamers at a deck party at sea.

As for myself on my next sailaway...I plan to light off an assortment of fireworks. M-80's, Roman CAndles, etc. Anyone here have a problem with that???
I predict you'll have a very short cruise! :eek:

You have every right to blow all the bubbles you want.

You don't have the right to get the residue of those bubbles all over me, my clothes or hair, or the deck I have to walk on. I don't need a slip & fall at the start of my cruise, and I may not otherwise need to take another shower before dinner.

So, if you want to take your soap somewhere where it can't get on me---have at it.

Another no on bubbles. And yes, soap can stain some clothing items, especially if the item is rayon or dry-clean only.

Plus it could make the deck slippery. Be considerate of your ship mates and don't make the area a walking hazard.

You have every right to blow all the bubbles you want.

You don't have the right to get the residue of those bubbles all over me, my clothes or hair, or the deck I have to walk on. I don't need a slip & fall at the start of my cruise, and I may not otherwise need to take another shower before dinner.

So, if you want to take your soap somewhere where it can't get on me---have at it.

Ummmm.....how could you possibly have a "slip and fall" when you have stated on a myriad of posts that you are a passenger who uses a scooter due to mobility issues? :confused: