Damned if you do.damned if you dont

kruisey

Princess Shore excursions.

Due to the fact I have mobility issues.

Princess always reserves the front seat of coaches for us.

The dirty looks one gets because they have let you on the bus first in the prime front seat.

If one on the other hand struggles farther back one is damned for being slow getting off the coach at the stops.My trouble is getting up and down steps .Walk with cane slowly on the flat.

I have been on all the easy trips so do not want to waste money by going on those again.How should this be handled? I am over 80 by the way and there is life in this old dog yet.:halo:

Ignore the "dirty looks". Those who do so may come to the realization that what they "did" was wrong in their years ahead. Aging is a fact of life. And, one's mobility will change as a result. If those folks are fortunate enough to live long enough, they will want to be in "your designated seats" if they are able to travel.

Your post should be titled "Damned if THEY do". ;)

Don't let their miserable lives affect yours. They are wrong for giving you dirty looks, and they know it. They don't deserve your even acknowledging them. Enjoy the small benefits that kinder people extend to you. You deserve them. And enjoy your excursions. I am impressed that you, as you said, still have "life in this old dog yet" and are still cruising and taking excursions. More power to you! :')

Well, that's really thoughtless of anyone who can't stand aside and let people with mobility issues board to a convenient spot. Don't feel bad. Continue doing what you're doing. From my group of four you'd be more likely offered help boarding than get a dirty look. I hope most others would do the same. Happy sailing!!

A MAN and his son were once going with their Donkey to market. As they were walking along by its side a countryman passed them and said: “You fools, what is a Donkey for but to ride upon?” 1 So the Man put the Boy on the Donkey and they went on their way. But soon they passed a group of men, one of whom said: “See that lazy youngster, he lets his father walk while he rides.” 2 So the Man ordered his Boy to get off, and got on himself. But they hadn’t gone far when they passed two women, one of whom said to the other: “Shame on that lazy lout to let his poor little son trudge along.” 3 Well, the Man didn’t know what to do, but at last he took his Boy up before him on the Donkey. By this time they had come to the town, and the passers-by began to jeer and point at them. The Man stopped and asked what they were scoffing at. The men said: “Aren’t you ashamed of yourself for overloading that poor Donkey of yours—you and your hulking son?” 4 The Man and Boy got off and tried to think what to do. They thought and they thought, till at last they cut down a pole, tied the Donkey’s feet to it, and raised the pole and the Donkey to their shoulders. They went along amid the laughter of all who met them till they came to Market Bridge, when the Donkey, getting one of his feet loose, kicked out and caused the Boy to drop his end of the pole. In the struggle the Donkey fell over the bridge, and his fore-feet being tied together he was drowned.

The moral of the story- if you try to please everyone you'll end up losing your a**.

You don't KNOW those people...who the hell cares WHAT they think? Lord have mercy...book what you want, and if you have issues that make a front seat a necessity...then who cares?

It is all about DRAMA and there are many folks that seem to dote on Drama (and we do not mean the OP). Personally, this is one (of many) reasons why we try to avoid all bus tours, whether they be cruise excursions or otherwise. Put 50+ souls on a bus and there is always some kind of DRAMA be it one who is upset because they don't get the front seat, others who complain because of somebody who is always late at every stop, etc.

For the record, if we had the front seat on a bus and saw somebody with the OP's issues we would gladly give up that front seat. Or course there are bound to be others on that same bus that would be angry at us because we did not offer them the front seat. We have never understood all the bus politics....but I guess its why we simply try to avoid buses.

Hank

I travel often with my Mom, who is 86.

OP, Please use the benefits that have been provided for you. Give no thought to what others think.

OCruisers, I do not know about Princess. On HAL and Celebrity the tour and transfer bus drivers often place a sign with the handicapped access symbol on the front seats to reserve them. My Mom has a crown of silver curls that signals her age and uses a wheelchair to cover long distances. The drivers or tour guides automatically point us to the front seat.

Regarding the donkey story, I have been given a lot of unsolicited advice regarding caring for my Mom. I love that story.

The same applies to people like me where you can't "see" my disability. I look just fine but I have fake nerve damage on the bottom of my feet. I say fake because the pain and symptoms are real but it is really non existent. Kind of like when a guy loses his arm but his hand still hurts. My nervous sends wrong messages to my brain telling it I have these issues. Walking across a room is extremely painful to me as is standing for 10 minutes. For me to walk off the ship, walk to the bus and keep walking would put me in even greater pain. So, ya, I have no problem taking the front seat. I do have awesome pain pills though.

I have Osteoarthritis in my knees plus I have trouble with stairs and standing up after sitting down.

Used to be a 10 k runner .Miss my runs so much. Running in the rain ,wind,sun all seasons and the feeling one gets in the end:D

My DH also has health issues with his feet that make it painful to walk at times. His disability is not "seen" until he walks. He is in his late 50's so we get some looks. We always let everyone off the bus before us then there are no issues with the "looks". Around the ship, we just stay out of the way so not to hold anyone up

Please, not being ugly in any way ... just would really like to know how you get Princess to make sure you have a front seat on their shore excursions? :confused:

They automatically save front seats on most of their tours for folks with mobility issues...If you yourself have a problem let Princess know because if you say nothing and they do not see you then they will not know you have this a problem mobility:)

I'm a bit confused by what you posted, so let me ask a question. You say you've been on all the "easy" excursions. Are you saying that you want to move up to more strenuous excursions? I'm asking because those excursions often require more mobility than just getting up and down the bus steps. There may be stairs in buildings, uneven walkways in older cities, stairs to get in and out.

If that is what you're saying, and if you're not, disregard the following. I don't think you should sign up for any excursions which are labeled for more active people if you are not able to keep up. Everyone else on the tour has paid the same amount as you and wants to see and do everything offered on that excursion. It is not their problem if you have done all the "easy" ones. I feel this is just common courtesy. The cruise lines list the ability level for a reason.

If this is the case, I would recommend hiring a private guide or driver to help you see the sights at your own pace.

Good for you!! Keep on chuggin'!!

If all it takes for you to keep doing what you are doing is being able to sit in the front of the bus, then just do it!

I'm just a couple of years younger than you. I am fortunate to still be pretty physically active and hope to stay that way for at least a few more years..

I plan to keep on going and doing as long as I can.

Apart from getting into the 4 wheel drive jeep and getting off there should be no problem.It is a Pacific Island which is scenery.When one has to climb hill I will stay at bottom with truck.

Would never jeopardize my fellow tourists by being selfish and holding them back I am not that kind of person.

Princess Shore excursions.

Due to the fact I have mobility issues.

Princess always reserves the front seat of coaches for us.

The dirty looks one gets because they have let you on the bus first in the prime front seat.

If one on the other hand struggles farther back one is damned for being slow getting off the coach at the stops.My trouble is getting up and down steps .Walk with cane slowly on the flat.

I have been on all the easy trips so do not want to waste money by going on those again.How should this be handled? I am over 80 by the way and there is life in this old dog yet.:halo:

I was in exactly the same situation on several excursions in Hawaii a couple of years ago. My wife and I simply waited in that "prime front seat" for everyone else to disembark before we got off. No problem.

...VTX-Al (cane user, also)

I would also say to hire your own car and driver in places where you have done all the easy tours and want to explore some more. Depending on the destination, you could just sit in a café and enjoy the view or watch people without doing an excursion at all.

Never mind the people who give you dirty looks.

Make up a sign and Pin it to yourself saying "I'm over 80 so get over it, I am[emoji14]

Just do your best Be as courteous as you seem to be here. A smile, often begets a smile. :)

Be well and enjoyhappy t ravels.

I was in exactly the same situation on several excursions in Hawaii a couple of years ago. My wife and I simply waited in that "prime front seat" for everyone else to disembark before we got off. No problem.

And I think you should be the first to get off if you want! I have no problem at all hesitating for a moment or two to let someone who isn't as agile as I am get off before I do. It is the kind and polite thing to do. If you were on my bus and moved to get off before me, I would gladly pause and even assist you if asked, not criticize you for making me wait.

My mom is gone now, but in her later years I learned patience as she moved slower and slower through the grocery store, in and out of the car, whatever. When I'm behind someone who has mobility issues, I actually take a moment while I'm waiting to think about my mom and how much I miss her. If I'm ever caught behind you waiting, I want to thank you for the memories you'll bring back my way.

You are a kind soul :halo:

I too lost my mother and feel the same way.