Sleeping w balcony propped open during Med cruise

The replies here are a little over the top.

Fire danger? Comfort of other staterooms?

Seriously, I think everyone is making a mountain out of a mole hill here. To the OP, it will likely be too warm and humid to be comfortable. But by all means, feel free to try it. You won't be the only one. People leave their balcony doors open all the time.

This thread is nothing but a microcosm of this board in general. A lot of uptight people who love to sit in judgment of others...

I´m just so glad you posted this, as I was wondering aobut a few things for my upcoming cruise, but you confirmed I´m fine, as others do this as well.

Looking forward to smoke on my balcony as others do it, so it must be OK and fire danger or comfort of others shouldn´t bother me.

My lil non potty trained one will also be delighted to use the pool, as others let their lil ones in there as well and the health of others shouldn´t bother me, as I´m not the only one.

I´m also glad I won´t have to wait anywhere as skipping lines won´t be an issue. I´ve seen otheres do the same and consideration for others isn´t an issue when others do so as well.

Thank you for making my vacation so much easier and after all I paid for it, so it´s my vacation where I can do what I want.

On my first ever cruise on Holland America in 2011, we were invited to a party for suite pax where the captain and officers were present. We were chatting to one officer, and he asked if we were experienced cruisers. We told him it was our first cruise and he said that one of the don'ts was NOT to leave the balcony door open. Apparently, the HVAC systems were linked for certain sections of cabins (no idea how many but it sounded like it was at least 15-20) and if the door was left open in one cabin for more than a few minutes, it would cause the air to go out from all the cabins in the section. Ever since then, I've always been super careful never to leave the balcony door open for more than a couple of minutes. I don't know if all ships' HVAC systems are designed the same way, but I assume there are more similarities than differences.

I've never done it on a ship, but I've sometimes dozed off on my balcony in my apartment! I have great river views and its so relaxing on a summer evening to sit out. If the weather is good, try it! You can always come back in after a bit.

To all those whom are saying that it won't affect other rooms as long as your room A/C shuts off when you open your balcony door... you are dead wrong. As you may have seen from other posters, the effect of having the balcony door open forces air into the cabin, thus making surrounding doors harder to open via a vacuum effect.

FYI this vacuum effect will also force air backwards through the air conditioning/ventilation system, into other passengers' cabins. This is why people are saying it will affect other cabins if you leave your balcony door open. This will happen whether you are on a ship where the A/C automatically shuts off when the door is open, or not. The A/C shut-off only stops the air conditioner in your cabin from functioning, it does not close any ducts in your cabin.

Be considerate to others and leave your balcony door closed.

To all those whom are saying that it won't affect other rooms as long as your room A/C shuts off when you open your balcony door... you are dead wrong. As you may have seen from other posters, the effect of having the balcony door open forces air into the cabin, thus making surrounding doors harder to open via a vacuum effect.

FYI this vacuum effect will also force air backwards through the air conditioning/ventilation system, into other passengers' cabins. This is why people are saying it will affect other cabins if you leave your balcony door open. This will happen whether you are on a ship where the A/C automatically shuts off when the door is open, or not. The A/C shut-off only stops the air conditioner in your cabin from functioning, it does not close any ducts in your cabin.

Be considerate to others and leave your balcony door closed.

a couple problems with your "expert" opinion.

There is no vacuum as long as your cabin door is shut.

Air can't just stop in your cabin without some kind of a duct shut off. Would be like manually shutting of a floor register in one room of your house. Doing that would actually increase heat or air efficiency to the other registers (rooms) of the house.

I can definitely believe there would be a problem with air in other cabins if the air didn't shut off with balcony open

Edited by SeaUs

Don't see why if opening the door shuts it off. You would be the only cabin affected. The other cabins might work even better.

On other lines where the AC still works with the door open, I could see this affecting other cabins

Because the interlock system likely only closes off the supply air to that cabin, not return air. If the return air is now drawing in heat and humidity from one or more cabins, it will affect EVERY zone that that piece of equipment services. So yes, one or two open doors WILL affect an entire zone.

a couple problems with your "expert" opinion.

There is no vacuum as long as your cabin door is shut.

Air can't just stop in your cabin without some kind of a duct shut off. Would be like manually shutting of a floor register in one room of your house. Doing that would actually increase heat or air efficiency to the other registers (rooms) of the house.

I can definitely believe there would be a problem with air in other cabins if the air didn't shut off with balcony open

Try closing off half of the registers in your house and you will find that your furnace overheats or the A/C freezes. Changing static duct pressure has an overall negative effect on efficiency.

The engineering behind the reason and whether we understand it or not is truly immaterial. To leave the balcony door open except for transiting is a violation of RCCL rules. Leave the door closed!

Could you point out on the terms and conditions where this stated?

I think it is neither a violation nor is it being rude.

Try closing off half of the registers in your house and you will find that your furnace overheats or the A/C freezes. Changing static duct pressure has an overall negative effect on efficiency.

Prove it with some sort of logic. I have half the registers closed for years and no problems.

Where did you get you degree in heating and AC? Do you design Heat and Air?

I think it is neither a violation nor is it being rude.

I'm not an engineer, so I can't explain it in detail, but from what I've been told by co-workers who are engineers and by some experts who are on these boards, leaving your door open does affect the A/C for a block of rooms around you. So if that is true, and I believe it is, the practice could easily be considered rude.

I'm not an engineer, so I can't explain it in detail, but from what I've been told by co-workers who are engineers and by some experts who are on these boards, leaving your door open does affect the A/C for a block of rooms around you. So if that is true, and I believe it is, the practice could easily be considered rude.

As I figured, an old wives tail.

If I remember correctly, our resident Chief Engineer explained this behavior for us once. Hopefully, he is still on dry land and can refresh our memory.

Here's the thing: People come on here and report every negative experience imaginable from their cruise. I haven't seen any posts complaining about a cabin being too warm and discovering it was because a neighboring cabin had their slider open. I KNOW many people leave their sliders open for extended periods, even overnight. So if this really does affect other rooms, where are the reports of it?

Just wondering...

Here's the thing: People come on here and report every negative experience imaginable from their cruise. I haven't seen any posts complaining about a cabin being too warm and discovering it was because a neighboring cabin had their slider open. I KNOW many people leave their sliders open for extended periods, even overnight. So if this really does affect other rooms, where are the reports of it?

Just wondering...

I have to admit that when our stateroom on Allure was too warm, I did not go to all the neighboring staterooms, knock on their doors, and check if their balcony door was open. :rolleyes:

Edited by clarea

I have to admit that when our stateroom on Allure was too warm, I did not go to all the neighboring staterooms, knock on their doors, and check if their balcony door was open. :rolleyes:

I didn't mean that. What I meant was I'm surprised I haven't heard anyone complain that their stateroom was too warm and have engineering determine it was because someone had their balcony open.

People obviously raise issues with the hotel staff all the time. Don't you think by now someone would have shared this experience? I mean if it's really an issue, how come it hasn't come up?

Is there an Off switch on the AC controller? Never noticed. Can you shut the AC off if you open the balcony door? Just wondering

It is my understanding that if you turn off the master switch, (on the wall near the cabin door) besides turning all the lights off in the cabin it also turns the air off. This is why you should use the individual light switches and not the master.

Was thinking exactly the same thought!....:)

Prove it with some sort of logic. I have half the registers closed for years and no problems.

Where did you get you degree in heating and AC? Do you design Heat and Air?

Umm. I am an HVAC service tech and have been for over 10 years. Check the static pressure in your duct work and tell me it does not change with all vents open and half closed.