Bon Voyage Experience (BVE) for 2014

Smokeyham

Just an FYI in case you are thinking of booking a Bon Voyage Experience for 2014. I called Princess today (October 25, 2013) and they said that they have not published their list of which ships/dates the Bon Voyage Experience (BVE) will be available for 2014.

I also asked if the information would be published on the Princess website when it is available, and her response (after checking with other staff) was that Princess does not share that information with passengers. I told her that the program was really popular, and that I had a number of friends who had their first introduction to a cruise ship through the experience by doing a BVE. The staff member agreed that it would seem sensible to publish the schedule, and she will put in a suggestion to that effect.

The 2013 schedule could be found at a travel agent's website, so hopefully they might update it for 2014: https://book.princess.com/BookingSystem/jsp/home/ship_visit/BonVoyageExperience.jsp

If you are looking for hints and tricks for registering or participating in a BVE; I did quite an extensive write up of the two we have done this year: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1888408.

If anyone hears of a list of the BVEs for 2014, could you post a link on this thread?

Thanks.

I'm waiting too. A group of us from CC want to go to one in LA. I was told they'd release the list "in November" and yes, a TA can usually pull up the list on POLAR.

Great, if anyone is (or knows) a TA who is willing to share the list, if would be great if it was posted here.

I'm not understanding Princess' not having a web page for this program, and promoting it. It seems they could make the registration system a lot simpler, and really use it as a tool to introduce more people to the ships.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm waiting too. A group of us from CC want to go to one in LA. I was told they'd release the list "in November" and yes, a TA can usually pull up the list on POLAR.
I've got the query in. Will let you know what they say. :)

Just heard back (damn, she's quick!): nothing yet. They check every Monday and will let me know when the list is released.

Edited by Pam in CA

Just heard back (damn, she's quick!): nothing yet. They check every Monday and will let me know when the list is released.

Looking forward to seeking the list. Thanks, and hi Pam.

Eileen

I am sure it doesn't surprise many of you that I was not really given clear directions when I called Princess' 800 number this afternoon. I would really appreciate hearing from Pam or any one else who has been a passenger out of San Pedro but meeting someone who is doing a BVE.

I've never done this. I am the passenger leaving.

I was told to show up by 11:30

Get in line for a regular check in

and directions would be given to me on how and where to meet the BVE group.

Will I be able to drop off my carry on in my cabin before doing anything with the group?

Help, please. I am familiar with the regular check in process. Have sailed out of San Pedro many times, but never as a BVE.

Looking forward to another BVE! :)

I'm looking forward to seeing the list and doing another BVE. Hopefully, they will have one for the Coral so we all can go.:):):)

I am sure it doesn't surprise many of you that I was not really given clear directions when I called Princess' 800 number this afternoon. I would really appreciate hearing from Pam or any one else who has been a passenger out of San Pedro but meeting someone who is doing a BVE.

I've never done this. I am the passenger leaving.

I was told to show up by 11:30

Get in line for a regular check in

and directions would be given to me on how and where to meet the BVE group.

Will I be able to drop off my carry on in my cabin before doing anything with the group?

Help, please. I am familiar with the regular check in process. Have sailed out of San Pedro many times, but never as a BVE.

I'm laughing since the last time I booked a BVE, earlier this year, my boarding pass said to check in at 1:30pm.

Get to the port no later than 10:30am. Let them know at the door you're doing the BVE and you will be directed to a special check-in waiting area and then a specific check-in line. You'll be given a BVE sticker as well as your boarding pass. You will then be directed to an area just outside the boarding area where the Captain's Circle Host will meet you and check you off on his/her list. You will be the first to board (after those doing a B2B.) You will board as usual between 11:30-Noon and stopped to take a photo. Once you've boarded the ship, you can do anything you want. Boarding doesn't start until cabins are ready so you can go there and drop off your things. Lunch in the dining room for BVE is usually Noon or 12:15pm. You'll be directed to the left of the dining room where those on the BVE are seated. General seating is to the right.

I'm laughing since the last time I booked a BVE, earlier this year, my boarding pass said to check in at 1:30pm.

Get to the port no later than 10:30am. Let them know at the door you're doing the BVE and you will be directed to a special check-in waiting area and then a specific check-in line. You'll be given a BVE sticker as well as your boarding pass. You will then be directed to an area just outside the boarding area where the Captain's Circle Host will meet you and check you off on his/her list. You will be the first to board (after those doing a B2B.) You will board as usual between 11:30-Noon and stopped to take a photo. Once you've boarded the ship, you can do anything you want. Boarding doesn't start until cabins are ready so you can go there and drop off your things. Lunch in the dining room for BVE is usually Noon or 12:15pm. You'll be directed to the left of the dining room where those on the BVE are seated. General seating is to the right.

Thanks Pam.

Some friends are doing the BVE when we sail on the Royal next year so we are going to join them. (We want to book the Sanctuary for the cruise so will also use the early boarding opportunity to hopefully get that done while there's still availability.)

I have a couple of questions.

They get a picture as part of their package but we don't also get a picture do we?

Is the tour after lunch? We know the Grand class inside out and backwards but a tour on this new ship might actually be interesting.

Also, do we need to let anyone know in advance that we are joining them on this?

PS Re: the quick response from your TA. Since I get the same immediate response I think we share TAs. ;)

Edited by chamima

Thanks Pam.

Some friends are doing the BVE when we sail on the Royal next year so we are going to join them. (We want to book the Sanctuary for the cruise so will also use the early boarding opportunity to hopefully get that done while there's still availability.)

I have a couple of questions.

They get a picture as part of their package but we don't also get a picture do we?

Is the tour after lunch? We know the Grand class inside out and backwards but a tour on this new ship might actually be interesting.

Also, do we need to let anyone know in advance that we are joining them on this? ;)

Sanctuary - Great idea to use the BVE opportunity to sign up for the Sanctuary, Ultimate Ship's Tour, or any other activity which fills up quickly.

Pictures - On our BVEs they made enough copies so each person in our group got a copy. They were available in time for the people to get off of the ship (though in one instance we did have to chase down a staff member to get this done). I think they just count the number of people in the photograph and make that many copies, so you should get one each.

Ship's Tour - The ship's tour was conducted as soon as the BVE group was on board (i.e. before lunch). Our group was interested in seeing some of the cabins, and the staff member suggested we go off on our own to look at those, since the tour was only of the public areas. The cabins were still being prepared, but the housekeeping staff was very nice about letting us poke our noses in to see the cabins.

Also, do we need to let anyone know in advance that we are joining them on this? ;)

No, you don't need to let them know whether not you will be on the ship's tour. Once you are on board you are free to roam about the ship if you like, or join the tour.

When we boarded they had the people who wanted to take the tour move and meet one deck up from the deck where we boarded so they could clear the boarding area clear.

Thanks for the response but I don't think my questions were clear.

Since we are actually sailing we will not be paying the $39 for the BVE, just joining friends.

They will sign up for it. Do we need to let anyone know beforehand that we will be joining them or just show up at 10:30 with our normal boarding passes for the cruise?

Also, the pictures are included in their $39. We're not paying anything so it would seem we don't qualify for the pictures.

Thanks for the response but I don't think my questions were clear.

Since we are actually sailing we will not be paying the $39 for the BVE, just joining friends.

They will sign up for it. Do we need to let anyone know beforehand that we will be joining them or just show up at 10:30 with our normal boarding passes for the cruise?

Also, the pictures are included in their $39. We're not paying anything so it would seem we don't qualify for the pictures.

Ah.... Sorry if I misunderstood your questions.

My understanding is that you do need to have your friends BVE registration linked up with yours. When your friends make their BVE reservations they should tell Princess that they are associated with a passenger who is going on the cruise, so you can be allowed on early. I would also do the same on your end, i.e. let Princess know that you will be joining some friends who will be doing the BVE. Perhaps someone else who has been a passenger, with friends doing the BVE, can chime in on this?

Regarding the photos, I think the staff just count the number of people in the picture and make up the same number of copies. They don't have a way to know who is BVE and who is a regular passenger in the picture.

It might be different if you have your picture taken separately from your friends who are doing the BVE.

Edited by Smokeyham

Just an FYI in case you are thinking of booking a Bon Voyage Experience for 2014. I called Princess today (October 25, 2013) and they said that they have not published their list of which ships/dates the Bon Voyage Experience (BVE) will be available for 2014.

I also asked if the information would be published on the Princess website when it is available, and her response (after checking with other staff) was that Princess does not share that information with passengers. I told her that the program was really popular, and that I had a number of friends who had their first introduction to a cruise ship through the experience by doing a BVE. The staff member agreed that it would seem sensible to publish the schedule, and she will put in a suggestion to that effect.

The 2013 schedule could be found at a travel agent's website, so hopefully they might update it for 2014: https://book.princess.com/BookingSystem/jsp/home/ship_visit/BonVoyageExperience.jsp

If you are looking for hints and tricks for registering or participating in a BVE; I did quite an extensive write up of the two we have done this year: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1888408.

If anyone hears of a list of the BVEs for 2014, could you post a link on this thread?

Thanks.

It's important to note that the list posted for 2013 was incomplete. My wife and I did a BVE in SF that was a few weeks AFTER the last one posted on the list. Our TA told us we were out of luck as there were no more BVEs scheduled for the year but I decided to call Princess directly and was told there were a couple more scheduled. The person on the phone wasn't sure so she asked me to hold while she checked and came back with good news for me.

The last BVE listed for SF on that list shows as September 7. It turned out there was one in SF on September 17th (I think that was the date we passed on) and another one (the one we attended) on September 27th. It never hurts to ask and I was glad I did.