Tabayana vs. Maya Key

Beaver1975

I'll reply with the caveat that I have only been to Maya key. I'll be at west bay Beach in a couple of weeks though so if I remember I'll add my thoughts then as well.

we went to Maya key in 2013 on a ship excursion. the facilities are nice and the lunch they included was very good. there is a pool and quite a lot of shade both near the pool and on the sand. I don't specifically remember the relative comfort level of the lounge chairs but I certainly don't remember them being bad so they must have been OK. there is a long pier that goes out right to the edge of the reef. I am a fairly experienced snorkeler and have my own gear but they do have gear there at the little shop. there were employees out at the end of the pier both in and out of the water to help if needed. there is a ladder down into the water which is easy to descend. once in the water you swim out into sort of a channel in the reef. the channel is about 10 or 15 feet deep and is marked with plastic bottles floating tied in place with cord. there was a good amount of sea life and the coral was in good shape. you swim out away from the pier and eventually come to the other side of the reef. the water there drops off to deep blue.

there were a good number of folks in the water the first time I went out but I wouldn't say it was uncomfortably crowded. I stayed out about an hour and went back to the pool to chill. the second time I went out there were only a few of us. I spent the second hour out on the deep edge of the reef and really enjoyed diving down along the edge.

there were some animals on the island in a sort of zoo. it wasn't all that impressive.

overall the trip was four of five stars. the snorkeling was above average. not as good as half moon bay but pretty good. the grounds of the island were immaculate and beautiful. we don't drink alcohol but there were lots of folks having a variety of drinks from the bar. the iced tea was good.

I have not been to Maya Key but I can tell you Tabyana is part of West Bay beach, West Bay being the premiere beach on the island. Quiet is not what come to mind with thinking of West Bay/Tabyana.

My concern about Maya Key is the proximity to the airport. During high season the airport is all kinds of busy and the flight path is directly over Maya Key.

We are 4 older adults who want quiet, COMFORTABLE chaise lounges in the shade on the beach.

Has anyone been to both and can comment on which might be the best for us?

Been to both...Maya Key wins hands down in my opinion. West Bay is crowded and you'll be hounded by vendors. Maya Key has a lovely beach with plentiful shade or sun, whichever you prefer. The pier offers easy access to snorkeling or a nice view if that's not your thing. The walk around to see the animals is a pleasant way to spend an hour or so in the afternoon. And the visit with the little monkeys is not to be missed...loved that! And, no vendors!!! Maya Key is literally a 5 minute boat ride from the Coxen Hole pier (just a few steps from where the ships dock)...no stress of the 20+ minutes transportation to the other side of the island. Will definitely go back.

Enjoy your time in Roatan!

Edited by mousecrazy

Been to both...Maya Key wins hands down in my opinion. West Bay is crowded and you'll be hounded by vendors. Maya Key has a lovely beach with plentiful shade or sun, whichever you prefer. The pier offers easy access to snorkeling or a nice view if that's not your thing. The walk around to see the animals is a pleasant way to spend an hour or so in the afternoon. And the visit with the little monkeys is not to be missed...loved that! And, no vendors!!! Maya Key is literally a 5 minute boat ride from the Coxen Hole pier (just a few steps from where the ships dock)...no stress of the 20+ minutes transportation to the other side of the island. Will definitely go back.

Enjoy your time in Roatan!

just out of curiosity..crowds aside, which has the better beach? which has the better snorkeling. I am looking for the better beach. really appr. your input

:D tks

just out of curiosity..crowds aside, which has the better beach? which has the better snorkeling. I am looking for the better beach. really appr. your input

:D tks

The snorkeling in West Bay will be safer, the reef is steps from the sand and you are in a bay with locals on kayaks just in case. Maya Key is on the other side of the island off the coast on the busiest town in the island. I have heard more than one person say the current was a challenge, though weather could have been an issue.

If you have a moment tell us how do you describe one beach as better over another?

Has anyone snorkeling at both Tabayana and Maya Key that can compare them?

Maya Key has always been our favorite. Snorkeling is great, and have never experience any current. They have multiple snorkel guides to take you out snorkeling if you would like your own private guide. And they will dive down and take pictures for you.

There is the airport, but the airplanes are not an issue. Kind of fun and funky.

Maya Key is a private island, so you will not have all the local vendors harassing you, which is nice. Plenty of lounge chairs, sun and shade.

My vote is MK! :-)

I've been on Carnival Tabyana Beach Break tour.

The beach was one of the prettiest beaches I've been too.

When we found a spot to chill for the rest of the day a worker came and introduced herself. She went for our drinks and watched our belongings when we went to the end of the beach where all the sea life flourished.

I can't swim, so no snorkeling for me. Instead we brought rice krispies off the ship. I have footage of hubby in the water and feeding the fish. It was in knee deep water and was amazing. Schools of fish right at our feet.

There was a gradual dropoff, so I spent a lot of time floating and waddling in the ocean.

Vendors are on the beach and I remember this one guy walking the beach blowing a conch. It was so annoying.

I would pull both beaches up on Youtube. Decide from there and whichever you choose, enjoy.

• 8 months later...
For a non swimmer who is terrified of water over my head, what is there to do in Maya Key? Also where is there good shopping? Thank you. We are offered both on NCL, Maya Key and Tabyana

I would not advise getting in the water from the pier where people go snorkeling because it is deep and can have a strong current. Some people go in the water from the beach but there has been a sea grass issue ( not sure how it is these days) - we have never done it. There is a nice swimming pool where we spend most of our time. You can walk right round the island and see animals (caged). There is a souvenir shop.

If you can find the review from Mitsugirly I am sure you will find a lot of photos although it has been a while since she visited I think.

You will dock in Coxen Hole, which has a few shops, but we are not big on shopping so it has been a long time since we have walked round the town. There are the usual shops at the pier but I wouldn't say Roatan is a shopping haven!

• 1 month later...

We went to Maya Key last year and will not return. NOT a nice beach at all. Very muddy when you go in the water. Old beach chairs but all in the shade. They do have a small pool and animals, but do not choose Maya Key for the beach. Much nicer beaches in other parts of the island.

We have only been to Maya Key....it was very nice and relaxing. The beach area has tons of chairs and shade, not a huge swimming area though. The pier runs out to the snorkel area. It is not a huge island, you can walk all the way around it. The zoo is not bad, the jaguars are huge... all rescued animals, so not really a zoo. Food was very good. Pool area is very pretty but we didn't get in, too busy at snorkel area.You cNcan pay extra for a dive with nurse sharks or feeding sealions as I recall, but not sure of prices.

map of island

2014_Carnival_Roatan247.JPG

the beach area

2014_CarnivalMAGIC_Roatan_14.jpg

2014_CarnivalMAGIC_Roatan_13.jpg

pool area

2014_CarnivalMAGIC_Roatan_16.jpg

snorkel area

2014_Carnival_Roatan259.JPG

2014_CarnivalMAGIC_Roatan_2.jpg

We would do Maya key again... it was a nice relaxing day..

Edited by ABQrobin

We booked Maya Key. We are going to skip snorkeling because I cannot swim. I live by the beach in NJ. Although the water is clearer other places, our sand is very fine like sugar at our beach and not muddy. ( Not all Jersey beaches are like this.. Mainly South Jersey). So I doubt we will go in the water. We will probably try the pool and see the animals.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

There is a boat that leave for Maya Key from Mahogany Bay, if booked through the ship.

For me, Maya Key was a good snorkeling experience, but Tabyana was way better, insomuch as the water was calmer on that side of the island allowing for a better overall snorkeling time in the water. I would see where the vendors would be a problem, but I can't remember being approached even once while there.

Either beach would be fine for an 8 year old to play in, but Maya Key does also have the pool area.

Looking forward to snorkeling Roatan soon! :D

• 3 weeks later...

The last time we were there you could rent gear and a vest. It's very easy for beginners off the beach. The further you go out the more coral there is and the more experienced you need to be. The coral comes up almost to the water level in spots so you need to pay attention. There is plenty to see though without going out real far. Tons of beautiful fish and coral to see. I would rate the snorkeling there as A+++.