NCL ship departs without 50+ passengers transported by NCL bus

kiyoko

I am hoping there are some CCs who could provide more information about something I read on NCL's facebook page. It sounds like on September 21, 2014, an NCL provided bus transporting 50+ passengers from MA and CT to NYC to board the Breakaway got stuck in traffic and the ship left without them 90 minutes before they got there and the passengers got sent back to MA and CT. My facts may not be accurate since there wasn't too much info provided.

Although I've never taken bus transportation provided by a cruise line to board a sailing, I have in the past considered it. If I have all my facts right, it sounds like something I should never consider if it's NCL.

Anyone out there know what happened?

Edited by kiyoko

That is completely unacceptable! Wow. I would be livid.

LOL

Stuff happens, traffic jams, cars breakdown...... sounds like people are getting cabin upgrades for another cruise. Thats why we also arrive one day ahead of time if flying. I have sailed out of NYC three times, and live 2 hours away. We leave the house at 7am just in case anything happens

Edited by Laszlo

Arranged through NCL? Well, if that's true, that is just crazy.

Yep , its always been that way .. They will arrange your flight / bus/ whatever ,

but it ends there.. The whole waiting ship scenario doesn't kick in until ''All Aboard" ... ;)

It says something about it on the last two pages of this Breakaway roll call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1858678&page=55

If I read it correctly, it was 27 passengers that were left behind.

Wow! This is crazy! Since transportation was booked through NCL, they should provide some kind of compensation. Did NCL pay for the flights to bermuda?

Yep , its always been that way .. They will arrange your flight / bus/ whatever ,

but it ends there.. The whole waiting ship scenario doesn't kick in until ''All Aboard" ... ;)

Ah - I never knew that. I always thought if they arranged the transportation then they had to wait for you. Wow - those poor people!

Ah - I never knew that. I always thought if they arranged the transportation then they had to wait for you. Wow - those poor people!

I was under the same impression. We have been a little late departing 2 times and were told that it was due to a flight that was late and passengers were still en route to the cruise terminal. But we weren't terribly late in departing and it did not affect our ports at all. Who knows?!

I know I would be SO upset! A good idea to get to your departure city the day before when possible.

I was under the same impression. We have been a little late departing 2 times and were told that it was due to a flight that was late and passengers were still en route to the cruise terminal. But we weren't terribly late in departing and it did not affect our ports at all. Who knows?!

I know I would be SO upset! A good idea to get to your departure city the day before when possible.

I'm sure someone did the math. Either go X amount faster and burn X amount more fuel to reach Bermuda by a certain time or pay X amount of dollars to put the people who missed the ship on another cruise. That must have been one hell of a traffic jam.....2-3 hours???

Is that weekend where Path / NJ transit literally threw up on itself or is that just NJ traffic being NJ traffic over the Lincoln tunnel / Washington Bridge? It crapshoot driving by car in NJ- could had left at 5am and still not get to port by 2pm on the any day that ends in a 'y'...

Generally that is the case but ultimately its the Captain's call. We were on the Crown Princess a few years ago and they waited like 2 hours for people flying in. We ended up sailing out of FLL around 6:30 - was cold and dark.

I'm sure someone did the math. Either go X amount faster and burn X amount more fuel to reach Bermuda by a certain time or pay X amount of dollars to put the people who missed the ship on another cruise. That must have been one hell of a traffic jam.....2-3 hours???

When we disembarked our CCL cruise in Baltimore we got stuck in traffic for about 4 hours in the metro NY area. Note to self- pay attention to when the Giants are playing and avoid the area like the plague if they are;).

I feel sorry for those left behind.

Edited by sparks1093

As I posted it was not Ncl provided transportation. If it were then yes most likely they would wait or help get you to the next port. The NE bus service is a private company that passengers book directly with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

As I posted it was not Ncl provided transportation. If it were then yes most likely they would wait or help get you to the next port. The NE bus service is a private company that passengers book directly with.

Thanks for clarification...!

It's the same as if you book a flight through them and it's delayed. Not NCLs responsibility, but the third party carrier to make it right. This is all stated in the terms and conditions when you make these types of bookings.

It's the same as if you book a flight through them and it's delayed. Not NCLs responsibility, but the third party carrier to make it right. This is all stated in the terms and conditions when you make these types of bookings.

That's why it's good practice to have your lawyer review all the terms and conditions regarding your cruise before you sign on the dotted line. Of course that will double the cost of your cruise but hey, at least you'll know what your rights are and what the cruise line's obligations are.

Or just subscribe to the 'NO' principle - You have NO rights and the cruise line has NO obligations.

Edited by DirtyDawg

Thats not true when I call ncl they tell me the time and place and I pay ncl for the bus ride. The bus only goes to the ncl dock.