How many Angels can dance on the head of a Celebrity pin?

Balloon Man

Having hopefully got your attention can I please suggest that you search existing threads before starting a new one. There are many many many threads on drink packages, suite perks, tipping etc. to mention just a few.

Cruise Critic is for the inquisitive, but unless you think you have a subject / question nobody else might have ever asked about I recommend you search first.

Having said that does anybody know ....

I think for commonly asked questions that's a good idea. However the danger is that people will unknowingly resurrect very old threads which may have incorrect information. How things were in 2010 may not be how they are in 2015.

I get somewhat impatient as well when I read threads like 'oh my gosh celebrity doesn't have self-service laundry facilities' but then I remember that we were all in that boat at one time and thankfully other posters were there to help us out.

Even though I sometimes roll my eyes at the repetition of questions, I do realise that Celebrity changes policies/offers etc frequently enough for a topic to be outdated within a few months.

If a topic is repeating frequently, I opt to ignore it.

Regarding the search feature, if your wording is a little off you sometimes get no response to your query, but the answer is just 3 pages away.

I understand not everyone spends a lot of time on CC, and don't mind if topics are repeated.

Cheers, h.

Sent from the nether world using magic

Agree, sometimes things can get outdated and another problem is some of the threads are very long...a "1-2-3 go" thread has over 1,600 posts.

On flyertalk (which might be somehow tied into cruse critic??) there is a delta "generic" forum with almost 80,000 posts and over 3 million views. I use that once in a while to ask a simple question and have good luck, but agree that the search feature is the key, and not always totally helpful.

I understand your comment but like others have said you learn to ignore it.

I have been on this board for many years (almost 15 years) and still find the search function does not always help me find what I am looking for plus I spend hours and hours reading thru posts that are off track. It is easier to ask the question again and hopefully get a more current and accurate answer than are in the old postings.

Just my opinion.

Edited by cruiserhal
Spelling

I understand your comment but like others have said you learn to ignore it.

I have been on this board for many years (almost 15 years) and still find the search function does not always help me find what I am looking for plus I spend hours and hours reading thru posts that are off track. It is easier to ask the question again and hopefully get a more current and accurate answer than are in the old postings.

Just my opinion.

I share your opinion.

I have used the search feature before and agree with other poster above,you must have the exact word and if you are new you might not have the exact word that will unlock all the current threads that answer your question.

I just scroll pass some of the frequent topics. Other times, I add my post.

If you want to see folks serious about posts, threads and repeats go to Crystal forum. They are really tight in their topics...:eek:

Search function is very useful but to request current info there's often no need to bump up older threads, esp for items like current drink package info, ship staff, music, condition, etc.

my tablet cannot do searches....so sometimes it may not be feasible to search

Yep, the search function is fair at best. I don't mind the repetitious threads, I just skip them.:)

Plus as others have pointed out, what is true today is not necessarily true tomorrow, so the information in an old thread may not necessarily be accurate.

Although I do appreciate, and try to make good use of, the "search" function on these boards, there are a couple of reasons why some folks may not:

-- the search function is often down, and even when it's working, you may not find the answer to your question.

-- and, how many times have we seen other people immediately reply "Why are you resurrecting a thread that's ump-teen years old?"

Bottom line for me is -- if I don't want to read yet another thread on smoking, dress-codes, etc, -- I just skip it, and go on to something I do want to read. :cool:

I agree that the search feature is not always helpful.

But people have a legitimate complaint when someone starts a new thread asking about something that was just answered recently.

It would not be unreasonable to expect people at least to glance down the list on the most recent couple of pages to see if there is already a current existing thread about their topic before starting a new one.

Of course when someone gives a thread an ambiguous title like this one "How many Angels can dance on the head of a Celebrity pin?" there is no way that anyone could be expected to know what it is about. :D

Edited by fleckle

At one time, I might have thought a little bit like the OP (although my opinion is also, if you don't want to read another dress code/drink package/123 go etc thread, then just don't open it - easy peasy).

But then I decided to sail RCI after not sailing them for many years. I researched, I scrolled through posts, I searched and searched and searched for answers to things. It was a nightmare. I would find a thread on their Diamond Lounge, for example, but then have to read through sometimes literally dozens if not hundreds of responses trying to find the info I needed. Who has time to do that?? I certainly don't. It was extremely difficult to find the exact answers to my exact questions. You also need to then put up with all the snarky back and forth that can be all too common on threads these days (and for the record, I think Celebrity is much worse than RCI for this). So what did I do? I gave up, and posted some questions. Thankfully I quickly got the answers I needed.

We forget what it is like to be new to cruising, or to a cruise line. We forget what it is like to be overwhelmed with information. We forget what it is like to feel confused and frustrated trying to find answers to questions. I say, post away, and if I don't feel like reading your post, I will just pass it by.

It's funny that this is here. I was searching today and kept finding answers from 2007 and 2009. At the end of one post from 2009 about port transportation (my topic), someone said that the final poster must be a salesman because he was resurrecting an old thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I used the search and found out the answer to the OP's question is 32, if you believe. Of course zero, if you don't.

Well I thought the answer was an infinite number. So, there will always be people who will ask the same question over and over again.

I don't mind trying to answer someone's question and spending a while making sure I have the correct answer for them. But I do dislike it when they can't be bothered to come back and say thank you!

I found that one of the best ways to search is to use Google. It not only shows me an answer when the Celebrity search function doesn't, but it also shows the date of the Q&A. ;)

For instance, I searched Goggle for "Cruise Critic Celebrity drink packages" and received the following:

Overview of drink packages - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

Feb 13, 2012 - Celebrity Beverage Packages Soda package $7 per day unlimited. Package selections include; Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Seagram's Tonic ...

Official Celebrity Beverage Packages

20 posts

May 28, 2014

Celebrity Drink Package Calculator - 2014

20 posts

May 8, 2014

Classic drinks package, what is included please?

20 posts

Jan 4, 2013

Drink Package was best cruise deal ever!

20 posts

Sep 1, 2011

i use google searches rather than CC first, then CC. But I gotta agree, it s crazy ridiculous to spend hours wading through old posts hoping someone can tell you something...just today I learned two random things I never knew by reading random current threads. My searches have been less than fruitful.

Just look at the huge loss of time the resurrected drink package thread wasted, so many people thinking a current problem was in the works when the issue was resolved last year.

You also need to then put up with all the snarky back and forth that can be all too common on threads these days (and for the record, I think Celebrity is much worse than RCI for this).

As much as I sometimes have to gasp and wonder "Did he/she really say that?!" I really feel that the Celebrity mods keep this board much more civilized than RCCL. There are certain posters we can count on to introduce a totally negative tone on every board, of course, but the ones on RCCL seem more numerous and strident to me.

Pat

As much as I sometimes have to gasp and wonder "Did he/she really say that?!" I really feel that the Celebrity mods keep this board much more civilized than RCCL. There are certain posters we can count on to introduce a totally negative tone on every board, of course, but the ones on RCCL seem more numerous and strident to me.

Pat

I have to agree with your comment. There are certain people who post on the Royal board that just love to be negative because they know everything including events on ships where they were not even on board. I have learned to never bother even reading their comments just so I don't stick my foot in my mouth and tell them what I am thinking. :)

Happy Sailing! Hal