regal: where do you spend your rainy days?

luckyinpa

what free areas of the ship do you like to enjoy during the rainy/cold weather? I realize my canada trip in 2 months wont be 80 and sunny so i'm looking for the hints where to go to escape without paying (which from what i read are booked up day 1 anyway).

as an aside, i'm assuming even in icky weather that the poolside bar/food places are still open normal hours? greatly looking forward to pizza/bbq etc since i'm on lido deck

Yes, the various food venues will be open even in poor weather.

Part of the cruise may include scenic views, so that will influence where I would be. If out of sight of land, I will go to some of the enrichment lectures in Princess Theater. We will probably pray bridge some of the day. Most of all we will be at trivia.

what free areas of the ship do you like to enjoy during the rainy/cold weather? I realize my canada trip in 2 months wont be 80 and sunny so i'm looking for the hints where to go to escape without paying (which from what i read are booked up day 1 anyway).

as an aside, i'm assuming even in icky weather that the poolside bar/food places are still open normal hours? greatly looking forward to pizza/bbq etc since i'm on lido deck

The Lido deck has lots of covered areas all along the sides with some padded seats, tables, etc. There's also the Seaview Bar which is covered and has lovely views, etc. The grill and pizza place are open whether it's rainy or sunny...

Other spots during the day to relax and enjoy are Club 6, with some great ocean views, and usually very quiet during the day.

The Atrium is huge and has lots of various seating areas, venues, etc. Plus, right by International Cafe for snacks and coffees, etc. Or Gelato's for a sundae. Or Vines for great wines and tapas...

Horizon Terrace is aft, covered and wounderful wake views.

And so on.. The Sanctuary will likely be an option, $20 half day, $40 full day or $30 full day if booked for entire sailing.. However, it's not completely covered or sheltered, so not so great for rainy days...

Explore - there's lots to enjoy on the Regal!

Our favourite is a hot tub in the rain. ( The colder the day the better it is! )

But not sure if this is just a UK thing?

i do this at home in my own hot tub. especially in winter during a snow

which brings up another question. are the hot tubs hot. on the breakway they were luke warm and it was not very therapeutic.

Hey, Coconut. Have to wonder about never seeing anyone in the hot tubs. Am I the only wondering if the hot tubs on the Regal, or any Princess ship, will actually be HOT?

The cool covered pool area, pools and hot tubs on our last Alaska cruise were almost like some cruel joke.

Passengers complained, and then some 'shirt' came out with a thermometer or something... and walked off...

Hey, Coconut. Have to wonder about never seeing anyone in the hot tubs. Am I the only wondering if the hot tubs on the Regal, or any Princess ship, will actually be HOT?

The cool covered pool area, pools and hot tubs on our last Alaska cruise were almost like some cruel joke.

Passengers complained, and then some 'shirt' came out with a thermometer or something... and walked off...

If you find a hot tub on a Princess ship that is actually hot you can rest assured that someone will complain and it will be returned to a "tepid pool". I always kept our hot tub at home at 104 F (40 C). That's reasonably hot. I could turn it up a bit farther but most folks seemed to find that hot enough.

I never use the hot tubs on a ship though. There are too many people who use them and I've also seen kids in them many times - even though that is supposedly not allowed. I can't imagine that they are very sanitary.

We were on the Regal to Canada last Oct. And our cabin was on the Lido deck. Even though the weather was rainy and extremely windy we enjoyed the cruise. Lido food open, never saw anyone in hot tub. We enjoyed movie in theater. Lots of indoor activities.

i'm in a mini on lido. can i assume you never heard noise from above?

my guess is the tubs on ships are so super chlorine that nothing could survive in there. id love to be in one even in cold weather. i liked doing that on the last ship i was on. i had to actually wait at 10pm for people to get out so we could get in. it sucked cold water was coming out of the seat jets though.

i'm looking forward to lido for all my food needs especially since gf has a bad knee

on my december trip on another ship i saw 4 people playing something that sorta looked like cribbage but i dont think it was. the board was huge. never saw anything like it. it wasnt great outside but they were in the 'inside' part of the outside of the buffet that was covered. saw them there at least 2 hours...undeterred by cold weather.

lets just hope for 60s or 70s. but 40s wouldnt be much fun outside.

We are on this cruise with you, and while I can't imagine it being 80 I am still hoping for sunny days. We usually take a short trip somewhere at this time (our anniversary) and last year in Pittsburgh was the only really rainy one I can remember for a while. Two years ago in Gettysburg it was 60's-70's and very sunny; when walking around it got a little warm. Canada is further north but we were pleasantly surprised at how warm it was 8/12 when we did our first cruise to Saint John.

I had worse weather (overcast and cool) in the Bahamas in April then I think I ever have in Canada. Either way it should be a great cruise!

Skywalkers is quiet and we enjoy going up there and looking out the back or side of the ship until time for the Platinium/Elite cocktail party. Quite comfortable and peaceful place to read or just relax.

Skywalkers is quiet and we enjoy going up there and looking out the back or side of the ship until time for the Platinium/Elite cocktail party. Quite comfortable and peaceful place to read or just relax.

No Skywalkers on the Regal which is the ship OP asked about.

Lido deck is very convenient on the Regal. The area aft from the buffet has tables and good seating. The cabins have wonderful on demand movies and we have been know to relax in ours and watch one!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We'll be on the same trip. Was wondering if there's wifi on the ship. (Maybe some Netflix In the rain?) Also, I saw there's an outdoor movie theater, but is there an indoor one?

What paid/booked up areas are you are referring to? (Other than the spa?)

Thanks!

sanctuary is paid. i thought that was indoors? if not then i cannot see why anyone would pay on cold october day lol. i'm still learning about the ship

i saw video of the spa and it would be very disappointing to me after being in the Breakways thermal spa so i have no interest in that

i read there are indoor movies in the theater

Yes, the various food venues will be open even in poor weather.

Part of the cruise may include scenic views, so that will influence where I would be. If out of sight of land, I will go to some of the enrichment lectures in Princess Theater. We will probably pray bridge some of the day. Most of all we will be at trivia.

We take in the lectures also in the theater.

Ah, if Princess would build a Royal class ship with a covered/indoor pool, I would live onboard :D. Or at least I would want to, if I had unlimited funds. Even so, we still manage to find a dry place on cool and/or rainy days to enjoy our day. As others have mentioned, a movie, talk, activities in the Piazza or napping, I mean, reading can eat up most of the day. I just have to be careful to not munch too much while hanging out at the IC with my nice hot specialty coffees or teas!