First Timer - Live From Noordam

kjbacon

My comparisons are with the other lines that we sail: NCL, RCI, and Disney. First the good ... the food has been quite good and I would say better than the main dining room in any other cruise thus far. French Fries by the pool are ridiculously good! The Neptune Lounge is fabulous in every way including some of the tastiest hors d'doevres and desserts on the sea. This is the only category (true, it's a very important one) where HA comes in first. Now the really not-so-good and serious last place points: second to last - embarkation was a chaotic mess, by the far the worst I've ever seen in at least a dozen other cruises. The very worst thing though was the muster drill. I was, and still am, shocked at what seemed more like a Saturday Night Live skit than an actual instructional drill on safety. I am sincere when I say that I'm sorry if I've offended the HA loyals. I know I don't like it when others criticize my favorite! Still, we are having a terrific time and are blown away by the Pacific Northwest. Breathlessly awaiting the sun to rise so I can Alaska!

Yes, embarkation from Vancouver on a three ship day can be an absolute mess. In 2014, my two departures from there were also on three ship days. Now I try to consider that prior to booking a cruise.

I hope you will later provide more details on the muster drill. But I'm glad you are enjoying the cruise so far. Once you get over the embarkation fiasco, it should all be good. Glad you enjoy the fries at the Dive-In; I do, too!

Enjoy the rest of your cruise, and if you can, keep reporting back.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

I've had a mixed bag of experiences with embarkation at Vancouver.

When the issue is security or US pre-clearance, that's not the ship's fault--passengers for all ships are subject to the same process and there are only so many screeners/officers to go around.

But I've also had check-in issues at Vancouver that are down to the cruise line. By the time you get to check-in you've been segregated from other ships' traffic, so it's just you and your fellow passengers.

When agents have to go wandering through the crowd hunting out suite passengers and 4 and 5 star Mariners, there's definitely a problem with queue management.

I'm not familiar with the 1-2-3 lifeboat drill but I do know that our lifeboat drill was the worst thing I've ever seen, shocking really. When you consider that we did have a full fledged emergency on our first day out, all the more reason that they should take the lifeboat drill seriously and do at least an adequate job.

They have fixed some of the missteps and the food remains the best of any other cruise lines I've yet to experience. We are having a fabulous time but are not likely to repeat HA.

I'm not familiar with the 1-2-3 lifeboat drill but I do know that our lifeboat drill was the worst thing I've ever seen, shocking really. When you consider that we did have a full fledged emergency on our first day out, all the more reason that they should take the lifeboat drill seriously and do at least an adequate job.

They have fixed some of the missteps and the food remains the best of any other cruise lines I've yet to experience. We are having a fabulous time but are not likely to repeat HA.

May I ask why you would not sail with HAL again. You're having a fabulous time and the food is the best yet.......what went wrong? Yes, Vancouver embarkation is not great.....not just with HAL. We sailed Celebrity Solstice to Alaska last year and it was chaotic!

My comparisons are with the other lines that we sail: NCL, RCI, and Disney. First the good ... the food has been quite good and I would say better than the main dining room in any other cruise thus far. French Fries by the pool are ridiculously good! The Neptune Lounge is fabulous in every way including some of the tastiest hors d'doevres and desserts on the sea. This is the only category (true, it's a very important one) where HA comes in first. Now the really not-so-good and serious last place points: second to last - embarkation was a chaotic mess, by the far the worst I've ever seen in at least a dozen other cruises. The very worst thing though was the muster drill. I was, and still am, shocked at what seemed more like a Saturday Night Live skit than an actual instructional drill on safety. I am sincere when I say that I'm sorry if I've offended the HA loyals. I know I don't like it when others criticize my favorite! Still, we are having a terrific time and are blown away by the Pacific Northwest. Breathlessly awaiting the sun to rise so I can Alaska!

well I'm excited because HAL is my first and favorite choice. Never had an embarkation problem - only 6 cruises - and while the muster drill never fun - never really had a problem with that either.

And I have always loved the food. Service is wonderful -

May I ask why you would not sail with HAL again. You're having a fabulous time and the food is the best yet.......what went wrong? Yes, Vancouver embarkation is not great.....not just with HAL. We sailed Celebrity Solstice to Alaska last year and it was chaotic!

Two things have been a cut above: the MDR food and the Neptune Lounge. Everything else has been below or way below our other experiences. The lifeboat drill was a disgrace, not because I was looking for a good time, but because we do need to know what to do in the event of an evacuation.

I agree muster drills are a nuisance no matter how they are done or by whom: all the standing and waiting. Until I think what a real abandon ship muster would ask of us, which makes the relative inconvenience of the mandatory drill quite sobering.

Look to the right and look to the left because these could be your lifeline partners on the high seas. Making musters easy may not be the best lesson we all need at this time.

Who will emerge as a leader, who will panic, who will push you aside to get on first, who will help others before themselves ..... may we approach this with mutual respect and honor choosing a sea going adventure.

I have never felt we were not properly educated about what to do and how to prepare on any HAL muster. But I do worry about those passengers we might have to wait for who lagged in for whatever reasons or did not show up at all. How long would we have to wait for them in a real emergency before launching the life boat? Electronic check in might be down, sound does not travel to allow full voice check in. Then what.

Edited by OlsSalt

Here is Disney's approach to their muster drills: sounds familiar

During the drill, attendance is taken and passengers are briefed on the use of life vests and escape routes. Staterooms are also checked by crew members to ensure everyone has gone to the drill, and shipboard services and entertainment are suspended.

These drills last up to 30 minutes and are mandatory for all passengers. Guests must remain silent during the drill so everyone may hear the announcements. Guests who have boarded the ship but do not attend the safety drill may be disembarked by the Captain: cruise ships take this stuff pretty seriously.

The briefing will also not begin until all passengers are accounted for, so if you hear names being announced on the intercom chances are good that these are passengers who have not yet checked in.

On the Disney Cruise Line, the safety/muster/lifeboat drill typically begins at 3:45pm with ship services suspended between 3:30pm and 4:15pm.

Information on the safety features of the ship will be playing on your stateroom television monitor once you arrive to the stateroom, and there are also instructions in the room on getting to the assembly station. Life jackets typically do not need to be taken to the drill as the straps are a safety hazard.

So basically no matter where you cruise and regardless of how many time you’ve sailed, even if you’re on a back-to-back cruise on the same ship, every passenger will attend the safety drill and needs to pay attention to information provided.

In the unlikely event of an emergency, the information provided in that drill may mean the difference between life and death.

Thank you for reporting from the Noordam.

During the passenger safety drill we are always surprised by the casual attitude of some fellow passengers, who persist in talking ,eating and drinking.

During one of our Trans Pacific cruises when a second safety drill was held, we were horrified that some passengers were unable to find their lifeboats, this was after 5 consecutive sea days!!

Not having been on HAL before I don't have any experience. However, his explanation of the "SNL Skit" did remind us of our last Carnival muster drill. CCL announced it at 9 pm then 10 pm, well it didn't actually start until 1030, staff wasn't even at the stations to check people in. ( the late drill was due to us not being able to leave port until the next morning) Then the cruise director acted like a DJ at a beach party, couldn't understand and absolutely no respect shown to the importance of it.

I have sailed enough to understand the importance of it. I would hope HAL shows the importance and respect to the drill it requires. You can't force passengers to take it seriously, but I do expect the line to! It was the only complaint I wrote down about the CCL cruise was how little attention was paid to muster drill!

Two things have been a cut above: the MDR food and the Neptune Lounge. Everything else has been below or way below our other experiences. The lifeboat drill was a disgrace, not because I was looking for a good time, but because we do need to know what to do in the event of an evacuation.

Would you mind sharing details of what was "below or way below our other experiences" besides the lifeboat drill (Carnivals muster drill is a joke. Celebrity nailed it). What other cruiselines have provided a better experience? Just curious, not being disrespectful! We usually sail Celebrity, so I appreciate other peoples experiences with other lines.

One particular ship I was on (different cruise line) refused to assign lifeboats only muster station. "If the emergency is in that area a new boat would need to be assigned and it would be too confusing." That particular ship also had mal-functioning doors that would not allow passengers to exit quickly from there muster station if need be.

I sought out the Safety Officer immediately but was shrugged off! I was not a happy cruiser. Corporate heard from me afterwards.

Would you mind sharing details of what was "below or way below our other experiences" besides the lifeboat drill (Carnivals muster drill is a joke. Celebrity nailed it). What other cruiselines have provided a better experience? Just curious, not being disrespectful! We usually sail Celebrity, so I appreciate other peoples experiences with other lines.

Where do I start lol! The staff has been closer to rude than helpful (not all, but many). We are traveling with 3 other couples and we all dropped our jaws when our waiter laid into one of our group for asking the most simple and innocent question. He, of all people, is perhaps the most gentle soul that I know so all the more shocking! Communication in general is horrible, no one know what's going on. There are times when all the restaurants are closed .... yesterday we overheard a man begging at the Lido Buffet at 2 or 3pm for anything to eat! The breakfast buffet opens at 7 and is the only game in town; it is a mob scene. My husband waited a half hour in line for an omelet. We are in a Neptune Suite and our shower is smaller than a phone booth. Their internet (which is not cheap) is down more often than it is connected (no refunds). Lifeboat drill was worse than a joke. Didn't even take attendance!! We don't have a lifeboat as ours is in Skagway for service. When asked, we were told that in the event of a real emergency, we should report to this empty spot and then they would tell us where to go. Really? Yes, let's wait for mass hysteria to redirect 75 +\- people to multiple locations. Thats a good start!!

Where do I start lol! The staff has been closer to rude than helpful (not all, but many). We are traveling with 3 other couples and we all dropped our jaws when our waiter laid into one of our group for asking the most simple and innocent question. He, of all people, is perhaps the most gentle soul that I know so all the more shocking! Communication in general is horrible, no one know what's going on. There are times when all the restaurants are closed .... yesterday we overheard a man begging at the Lido Buffet at 2 or 3pm for anything to eat! The breakfast buffet opens at 7 and is the only game in town; it is a mob scene. My husband waited a half hour in line for an omelet. We are in a Neptune Suite and our shower is smaller than a phone booth. Their internet (which is not cheap) is down more often than it is connected (no refunds). Lifeboat drill was worse than a joke. Didn't even take attendance!! We don't have a lifeboat as ours is in Skagway for service. When asked, we were told that in the event of a real emergency, we should report to this empty spot and then they would tell us where to go. Really? Yes, let's wait for mass hysteria to redirect 75 +\- people to multiple locations. Thats a good start!!

I have a question. I am not familiar with the ship you are on but if you were in a Neptune Suite did they have a special restaurant for you to go to breakfast? We are going on the Eurodam and it shows the Pinnacle grill for breakfast for suites.

Edited by marycruz

Yes, all Neptune suites can have breakfast in the Pinnacle dining room or special seating service in the Upper MDR. Plus room service is available for hot breakfasts from about 6 am onwards. I believe there is also continental breakfast available earlier than the opening of the Lido lines. Dining hours are well posted and to say "nothing to eat was available" across the entire ship is an intentional misrepresentation. The Dive In is open, room service is 24 hour and there is the nacho bar by the pool that stays open for pre-dinner snacks.

These descriptions don't sound like any experiences we have had on any HAL ship after 350 days onboard, so hopefully this was a one-off experience for this particular passenger. Unfortunate when it all starts going down hill, then the small things start to accelerate. But we have also yet to hear the "other side of the story".

If one finds the shower stall in the Neptune suites not to their liking size wise, they can always use the shower in the tub. There were alternatives so one can reasonably speculate about an attitude which might have not been able to see the options and alternatives. No one can deny this person's reality but it appears HAL is not a good fit, nor is his experience even remotely similar to those others have had after many, many HAL cruises.

Edited by OlsSalt

Yes, all Neptune suites can have breakfast in the Pinnacle dining room or special seating service in the Upper MDR. Plus room service is available for hot breakfasts from about 6 am onwards. I believe there is also continental breakfast available earlier than the opening of the Lido lines. Dining hours are well posted and to say "nothing to eat was available" across the entire ship is an intentional misrepresentation. The Dive In is open, room service is 24 hour and there is the nacho bar by the pool that stays open for pre-dinner snacks.

These descriptions don't sound like any experiences we have had on any HAL ship after 350 days onboard, so hopefully this was a one-off experience for this particular passenger. Unfortunate when it all starts going down hill, then the small things start to accelerate. But we have also yet to hear the "other side of the story".

If one finds the shower stall in the Neptune suites not to their liking size wise, they can always use the shower in the tub. There were alternatives so one can reasonably speculate about an attitude which might have not been able to see the options and alternatives. No one can deny this person's reality but it appears HAL is not a good fit, nor is his experience even remotely similar to those others have had after many, many HAL cruises.

Thank you, I needed a good belly laugh!!! Intentional misrepresentation? Our trip organizer, who has sailed multiple times with HA, has apologized to all of us and has stated that she will never sail with HA again. Since she is an attorney, she's probably pretty darn good at intentional misrepresenting too. We do agree on alternatives though. I will go back to the alternate cruise lines

that have given me better quality.

Sounds OK to me but I've only been on one HAL cruise and it was the Veendam back in the 90's. I was wondering why the posters husband had to wait 30 minutes for an omelet.

If we get a Neptune Suite I would go to the Pinnacle Grill to avoid the mob scene for breakfast buffet.

Other lines really do do a MUCH more efficient and helpful muster drill.

The only issue I have ever had with a muster drill on HAL is the absolute idiot passengers that will not shut up so we can hear it. It is amazing to me that people who are supposed to be adults can't be quiet for a few minutes - out of respect and a collective concern for safety if for no other reason.

That's so odd. I have been on the Noordam many times - most recently for 24 days in April. And I have never experienced any of what you describe except for the passengers talking during the muster drill (so could not hear any instructions).

Others have pointed out the dining options that are beyond the regular meal times so I won't reiterate that other than to say there is never a time when food is not available in some capacity.

I also have to push back on the staff. They are excellent in my experience. Sounds like you ran into one bad apple.