Cunard: Classy or Pretentious

Dunelm

Having cruised many times on Celebrity, Azamara, Princess, and Holland America, my husband and I are now thinking of taking a Transatlantic cruise on the Queen Victoria. I have just read some of the recent threads and have been struck by what I am interpreting as snobbery. My husband has a tux, and before we retired we were at many black tie charity functions. We seem to be beyond that now and, although, we dress smartly--suit and blazer for my husband, and dressy outfits for me, we do not want the hassle of hauling formal evening wear around the globe or renting a tux for my husband. So, will we find Cunard too stiff and snobby or are there less pretentious people on board?

Having cruised many times on Celebrity, Azamara, Princess, and Holland America, my husband and I are now thinking of taking a Transatlantic cruise on the Queen Victoria. I have just read some of the recent threads and have been struck by what I am interpreting as snobbery. My husband has a tux, and before we retired we were at many black tie charity functions. We seem to be beyond that now and, although, we dress smartly--suit and blazer for my husband, and dressy outfits for me, we do not want the hassle of hauling formal evening wear around the globe or renting a tux for my husband. So, will we find Cunard too stiff and snobby or are there less pretentious people on board?

Although there may be a few pretentious folk lurking on this board, I think that you will find your fellow passengers a convivial and relaxed bunch. It's true that most of us like to dress up on formal nights; it's part of the distinct charm of a Cunard voyage, especially a transatlantic crossing, that you may find yourself enjoying more than you imagine. But as long as your husband brings a dark suit and you take along some dressy outfits, you will more than meet the requirements of the dress code, no one will look askance, and you will have a wonderful journey!

...we do not want the hassle of hauling formal evening wear around the globe or renting a tux for my husband. So, will we find Cunard too stiff and snobby or are there less pretentious people on board?

When somebody books a Cunard voyage, and then says that they don't want to dress formal on formal nights, I question why they signed on. It makes about as much sense as me signing on for a Disney ship only to complain that I don't want the hassle of a large number of young children on board.

I see you have previously sailed on Azamara which has zero formal nights. That atmosphere may be more suited to your preferred style at this point in your life.

You know the dress code on Cunard and you don't like it. Why book knowing that to be the case?

Although there may be a few pretentious folk lurking on this board, I think that you will find your fellow passengers a convivial and relaxed bunch. It's true that most of us like to dress up on formal nights; it's part of the distinct charm of a Cunard voyage, especially a transatlantic crossing, that you may find yourself enjoying more than you imagine. But as long as your husband brings a dark suit and you take along some dressy outfits, you will more than meet the requirements of the dress code, no one will look askance, and you will have a wonderful journey!

Thanks so much for your kind and gentle reply.

When somebody books a Cunard voyage, and then says that they don't want to dress formal on formal nights, I question why they signed on. It makes about as much sense as me signing on for a Disney ship only to complain that I don't want the hassle of a large number of young children on board.

I see you have previously sailed on Azamara which has zero formal nights. That atmosphere may be more suited to your preferred style at this point in your life.

You know the dress code on Cunard and you don't like it. Why book knowing that to be the case?

I can understand why you are questioning my attitude. Actually, we have only been on one Azamara cruise, and it was very enjoyable; however, we prefer bigger ships especially for transatlantic cruises--we have take four so far on other lines. Cunard is the only line that gets us to the UK quickly. (We prefer sailing to flying.) I think I am more concerned about snobbery than formal dress, though. One can appreciate formal nights without being a snob about them. I would hope, too, that Cunard has a lot more to offer than its formal nights.

... I would hope, too, that Cunard has a lot more to offer than its formal nights.
Hi Dunelm,

In which case I'm slightly surprised you didn't ask about the whole Cunard experience in your OP, but instead concentrated almost exclusively on formal wear. This gave me (and others?) the impression that this was all you were interested in (formal clothes on Cunard ships).

If you want to know about what Cunard has to offer, please ask away, there are many experienced people here who will be glad to answer your questions :) .

I can assure you that none of us would go back to Cunard time and time again if snobs were more numerous on the ships than on land. I promise you, in my experience, the passenger mix on board is representative of life ashore... except that on a Cunard ship I've met better travelled, more entertaining, witty, informative, polite and friendly people than I usually meet ashore. And not a snob amongst them*.

Hope this helps :) .

(*but then I wasn't on board QE2 when Hyacinth was :D ).

Edited by pepperrn

Hey guys,

Let's not throw sharp icicles-my first voyage with Cunard was on the QE2 in 1971; let's just say that Cunard has generally sought to maintain a certain style and tone on its ships; and QM2, QE and QV have been decorated and programmed to maintain that style and tone. Much has changed since I first crossed the Atlantic on the France and Michelangelo in 1969; I think we need to go with the changes and applaud Cunard for what it has achieved. After all, but for "Titanic" and Mr. Arison, we probably would not have Cunard.:)

I have never met a "I am richer than you " snobs on Cunard, though I have met a few but very few "Onslows". who strangely seem to have a reverse snobbery "You would not get me into a penguin suit".

I personally have to save each month to cruise Cunard, I book the lowest grade inside cabin (because of cost especially as a solo), I do not purchase spa massages because of cost, but I can be found in the Chart room at 5.30 before dinner, dressed in my" Finery" enjoying the music, conversation and a glass of wine.

I love to dress up, I live quietly between cruises , wearing casual dress , and watching TV. Will you enjoy Cunard? Only you can decide, if you are willing to follow the maxim, "When in Rome do as the Romans do", you will enjoy the ship

Most of us are just ordinary people who enjoy the elegance of the ship, and follow the code in behavior.

If you really feel that you will be unhappy with this, (and that of course is your right, we cannot all like the same things), perhaps you should reconsider your booking. However I do think that would be a pity as I am sure that if you book you will meet so many nice people you will wish to book Cunard again.

Have a wonderful trip which ever ship you choose and make some wonderful memories

Lynn

I would like to answer your question about sailing on Cunard and asking questions concerning the dress code. Doing a transatlantic crossing has been on my "bucket" list for quite a while. I would love to sail the QM2 because it was constructed as an ocean liner. I appreciate the history of Cunard and the traditions that go along with a crossing. Those traditions include the amenities and activities on board. One of the most interesting things is the planetarium! I am so looking forward to it.

What I am not looking forward to is being judged by how I dress. We will do our best but my husband wants to wear a dark suit and silver tie on dressy nights. I am having fun picking out my basic blacks to add sparkly jackets and jewelry. Does that mean I don't belong on Cunard? Really?

Because Dunelm wants to do a transatlantic and Cunard are the only company that does this. The clue is in the question.

Dunelm: You don't even have to adhere to the evening dress code at all if you don't want to at any time. You can eat in the Kings Court buffet and then spend the evening in the Winter Garden.

Edited by Olliesmum

Dunelm, your statement that "My husband has a tux...[but] we do not want the hassle of hauling formal evening wear around the globe" absolutely guarantees responses of "Cunard is probably not for you." I will take an alternate view by gently suggesting that whatever item your husband leaves behind in order to fit a tuxedo in will be missed far, far less than the tuxedo will be appreciated--a full kit of formal gear weighs no more than a single pair of blue jeans.

But now I must say that I find the correlation of "formal attire" to "stiff and snobby" well out of order. I spend 22 days on Queen Mary 2 last spring and by your standards both the couple who were only onboard for the two day getaway to Hamburg who dressed formally both nights though required to neither; and the lady who joined our table for the final seven night Crossing and wore a formal gown every evening (including embarkation and pre-disembarkation nights) should have been judged as snobby. In fact they were splendid dinner companions who exhibited none of the behaviors I personally associate with pretentious snobs (see below). And I am supremely confident you will find the same.

So what is considered snobby behavior onboard? My take:

(1) Constantly rattling on about one's cruise history, comparing different lines based solely on 'compensation' received for complaints, bragging about being 'friends' with senior management;

(2) Viewing the amenities associated with one's cabin class and/or loyalty status not as benefits but as entitlements;

(3) Interpreting the payment of cruise fare as permission to speak offensively to (and about) the crew onboard.

Sadly Number 3 is now endemic throught the hospitality industry. But I saw virtually no examples of Numbers 1 or 2 on my four recent Cunard voyages when compared to the other cruiselines I have been on.

What I am not looking forward to is being judged by how I dress. We will do our best but my husband wants to wear a dark suit and silver tie on dressy nights. I am having fun picking out my basic blacks to add sparkly jackets and jewelry. Does that mean I don't belong on Cunard? Really?
You'll fit in fine.

The comments about people not wanting to dress up aren't aimed at those who wear a dark suit rather than a tuxedo - they're aimed at those who object to wearing a jacket each night, etc. and change out of their jacket or formal wear as soon as possible after dinner (but still attend the shows and other evening venues).

I have cruised quite a few times on Cunard over the years, in every category of stateroom and dining room, and found more snobs in the cheap seats than in the QG. Of course they were 10 bob snobs, that is to say pretentious but relatively impecunious, often living miserable cheap lives and cutting coupons for their groceries so they could cruise Cunard once a year and pretend to be something they were not.

I would still like to cruise Cunard more for itinerary reasons but now find Princess to be somewhat similar but more comfortable and relaxed.

Also, although it is now apparently reinstated, Cunard dropped the military OBC and lost my business as a result.

Hi Dunelm,

In which case I'm slightly surprised you didn't ask about the whole Cunard experience in your OP, but instead concentrated almost exclusively on formal wear. This gave me (and others?) the impression that this was all you were interested in (formal clothes on Cunard ships).

If you want to know about what Cunard has to offer, please ask away, there are many experienced people here who will be glad to answer your questions :) .

I can assure you that none of us would go back to Cunard time and time again if snobs were more numerous on the ships than on land. I promise you, in my experience, the passenger mix on board is representative of life ashore... except that on a Cunard ship I've met better travelled, more entertaining, witty, informative, polite and friendly people than I usually meet ashore. And not a snob amongst them*.

Hope this helps :) .

(*but then I wasn't on board QE2 when Hyacinth was :D ).

I love the "Hyacinth" comment. I have read some excellent reviews of the Queen Victoria. I suppose the number of formal nights (four on an eight night cruise) has been somewhat off-putting. But, if many on board are like you, I can cope.:(:)

P

P

PARTIAL QUOTE

... I suppose the number of formal nights (four on an eight night cruise) has been somewhat off-putting...(:)

P

The dress code for the next several months of Cunard voyages can be found here: https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code_all

I didn't see any eight night voyage that had four formal nights - please, what did I miss?

I think you will be fine. If someone thinks they are above my station in life, then so be it. I can't change their opinion and I don't let their opinion influence how I feel about myself.

I am going to enjoy the formal nights but that's because I never enjoy doing this at home. I'd like it if everyone followed the dress code just to add to the experience. But if they don't want to, then that's ok too but some parts of the ship won't be available to them that night.

Thanks for your helpful comments. Judging from its reviews, The Queen Victoria is a stunning ship, and so perhaps it is only fitting that many of its guests want to dress up and not down. I am a tad perturbed that there may be four formal nights out of eight, but it was helpful to know that there are other eating places if we should decide to skip a couple of those nights. I think it is only fair that those of you who love those formal nights should do so without having to cope with those of us who, perhaps, are not as appreciative. And, you are right--it is our choice to take a Cunard cruise. We have enjoyed every cruise we have taken, and so I am sure we will enjoy Cunard, too.

I have cruised quite a few times on Cunard over the years, in every category of stateroom and dining room, and found more snobs in the cheap seats than in the QG. Of course they were 10 bob snobs, that is to say pretentious but relatively impecunious, often living miserable cheap lives and cutting coupons for their groceries so they could cruise Cunard once a year and pretend to be something they were not.

I would still like to cruise Cunard more for itinerary reasons but now find Princess to be somewhat similar but more comfortable and relaxed.

Also, although it is now apparently reinstated, Cunard dropped the military OBC and lost my business as a result.

What can I say??? We'll miss you?

Please don't let the door slam on your way out. Thank you.

Edited by Salacia

I have never met a "I am richer than you " snobs on Cunard, though I have met a few but very few "Onslows". who strangely seem to have a reverse snobbery "You would not get me into a penguin suit".

I personally have to save each month to cruise Cunard, I book the lowest grade inside cabin (because of cost especially as a solo), I do not purchase spa massages because of cost, but I can be found in the Chart room at 5.30 before dinner, dressed in my" Finery" enjoying the music, conversation and a glass of wine.

I love to dress up, I live quietly between cruises , wearing casual dress , and watching TV. Will you enjoy Cunard? Only you can decide, if you are willing to follow the maxim, "When in Rome do as the Romans do", you will enjoy the ship

Most of us are just ordinary people who enjoy the elegance of the ship, and follow the code in behavior.

If you really feel that you will be unhappy with this, (and that of course is your right, we cannot all like the same things), perhaps you should reconsider your booking. However I do think that would be a pity as I am sure that if you book you will meet so many nice people you will wish to book Cunard again.

Have a wonderful trip which ever ship you choose and make some wonderful memories

Lynn

What she said :)

I think it's worth knowing what the OP meant by "pretentious"? I came across one pretentious couple (acted too good for QM2) on the Jan 2013 TA from New York, but they didn't bother me. I found their pretentiousness to be rather comical (especially when one things flying First class on a defunct US airline is anything to brag about).

What reslly bothers me is people who 'can't be bothered' when they travel. Unfortunately, I came across many of this kind of passenger on a recent Princess cruise. They were far, far more judgemental and for the most ridiculous things (e.g., for not being a football fan, for choosing to wear a suit to dinner instead of jeans, for allegedly being 'stupid' in sailing solo as cruising is apparently not for singles).

Consequently, Cunard is most likely to get my business in future. The ships aren't over-the-top and people are (mostly) genuinely educated and interested in travel for the purposes of exploring, learning and having a good (not a drunk) time. Cunard is luxurious, yet unpretentious and that's what makes their ships such a grand way to cross the seas.

I think I am more concerned about snobbery than formal dress, though. One can appreciate formal nights without being a snob about them.

In four cruises with Cunard (some pretentious people call them "Voyages" :) ), I have not come across any snobbery at all onboard the ships. HOWEVER - I have encountered it here in great smoldering piles. I believe this is because most people would not dare to assail you face-to-face with their opinion of your dress style or how you carry yourself, but do have the courage to do so here - fairly anonymously. They don't seem to realise just how easy it is to track people on the Internet :)

Don't worry - you would have to try very hard to not enjoy a Cunard cruise.

Barry

... Consequently, Cunard is most likely to get my business in future. The ships aren't over-the-top and people are (mostly) genuinely educated and interested in travel for the purposes of exploring, learning and having a good (not a drunk) time. Cunard is luxurious, yet unpretentious and that's what makes their ships such a grand way to cross the seas.
Very well said :) . Thank you.

What can I say??? We'll miss you?

Please don't let the door slam on your way out. Thank you.

You may know about what they say sarcasm is?

Or maybe not?

I don't miss some of the snobby snotty crew on Cunard, the ones who provide very poor service but who are not international.

Anyway if I see a Cunard sailing that's cheap enough then I'll book it so don't lock the door please.

Looking at some of the earlier comments you'd think you'd asked to wear bermuda shorts in the dining room! Lol

My parents are avid Cunard fans and my Dad sometimes wears a tux, and sometimes a dark suit. So long as it's smart then it still fits the dress code and nobody has a problem. Looking at photos on google I don't think regular suits on formal nights are that uncommon. I'm certain you'll enjoy it as much as my parents do, they like great style and class and always comment on how friendly fellow passengers are.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

We don't fly and so the QM2 is the only way for us to visit the US (and return :D).

It is a method of transportation.

We will be taking a small amount of formal wear because we enjoy a bit of dressing up. As a result we will be paying a large amount of money to store a suitcase with our formal clothing in New York while we travel around by train/car etc but I won't say that it isn't annoying having to pay such a lot just to leave a suitcase in storage.

Edited by CABINET