Cruising with older parents

ApoJacks

My wife and I love Royal Caribbean. In fact, we booked our next cruise while we were on our honeymoon, and my wife suggested that we pay for my parents to come with us. I thought it was a great idea. We booked a cruise for next November to celebrate my Dad's 69th birthday and we are going to go on Oasis of the Seas on an 8 day Western Caribbean cruise.

What my wife and I are discussing right now is if we made the right choice for cabin. We booked a Central Park view stateroom...for the same price we can get category F oceanview staterooms. Has anyone had experience with either of these cabin types? Which is the better bang for the buck? From what I have seen it almost looks better to go with the oceanview as opposed to the Central Park view...

Personally, I would go with the ocean view staterooms. You can actually see that you are on the ocean. One can always get a balcony room at home or in a hotel overlooking land. On a ship that big, ocean views are a premium! I want to know and see that I am on the ocean.

I would suggest the ocean view cabin and....... In my opinion, 69 is really not old as indicated in your title. :)

Enjoy

M

Thank you - having turned 69 on my last birthday, I don't consider myself "older" at all - that would be my 90 year old aunt who still drives and holds a job that she loves. I'd prefer the ocean view as well.

The question about the view has nothing to do with their age, but their/your preferences. I have sailed in a Central Park view on the Oasis, it was unique and beautiful, especially at night. But to me, any balcony is better than no balcony. But if they'd rather see the ocean, change to the ocean view stateroom.

I know we're getting away with this thread, but 69 is not old - lol :), I've been in the central park view room and actually loved it, looking out at night w/ all the lights in central park is so pretty. I will never stay in an ocean view room, personally, I don't like the crashing/movement of the waves, makes me feel sick, I do either inside or balcony

69 is old if you're 30....it's all about perspective! However, those of us in our 60's don't FEEL any different than when we were in our 30's!!

I always get a kick out of it, when people say they're traveling with their "elderly" parents...will there be too much walking? Too much noise? Too much (fill in the blank)...

I can out-party, out-dance and out-walk most 30 year olds....I've been practicing!!!!

I would go with the ocean view. It is a cruise. If I wanted a park view I'd consider one of the many hotel rooms overlooking the real Central Park in New York.

PS: We take my parents along on every cruise that we go on. They LOVE it.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Wonder if OP is actually talking about an ocean view balcony room. Noticed he/she used the terms "Central Park view and ocean view." Assuming it's a balcony room would definitely go with the ocean view. If it's a window view of ocean would stick with the Central Park balcony. Key word being balcony.

Yes, most of you are right in that 69 is not old, but when you are 31...it feels like a lifetime away! My parents don't have the ocean rolling by their home every day. I am going to switch us out for the ocean view stateroom.

Also, my Dad enjoys a nice drink every now and then. He was talking about getting an alcohol package....I don't drink, but my wife and I sure did take advantage of the Royal Replenishment package on our honeymoon. Any thoughts on where to guide him on the drink package? He mostly drinks cheap beer (Natural Light anyone?) but I think he and my mother would have a glass of wine or two at dinner. Is it worth for them to get one of the basic unlimited alcohol packages or should they go with the non-alcohol package and do pay as you go for their booze?

Wonder if OP is actually talking about an ocean view balcony room. Noticed he/she used the terms "Central Park view and ocean view." Assuming it's a balcony room would definitely go with the ocean view. If it's a window view of ocean would stick with the Central Park balcony. Key word being balcony.

They are not balcony cabins. If we could afford a balcony cabin, we would do it in a heart beat. But we don't have the extra $640 for both cabins to be a balcony.

They are not balcony cabins. If we could afford a balcony cabin, we would do it in a heart beat. But we don't have the extra $640 for both cabins to be a balcony.

Thanks for clarifying. I think you made a good choice.

Not sure about the alcohol package. You have cruised RC before so you have an idea of the packages. If he wants beer and she wants wine they would both either have to pay by the drink or have a package. Beer can go down very easily relaxing by the pool and into the evening - depends how many he might drink!

As far as wine, don't forget you will be able to take four bottles on board with you. You can take two and your parents can take two. You can take to the dining room for dinner (no corkage fee) so that should cover dinner.

You are sticking your older parents in an OV and it will be his birthday. You should change yours to an inside and move them to a suite or an OV balcony at the least:D

I am sure price-wise that would be prohibitive for the OP.

As an "older parent" I would be very appreciative of a cruise in any cabin. I think your comment is out of line and unnecessary.

I am sure they will have a great time together, regardless of the cabin category.

Is seasickness or would seasickness an issue. DH gets very, very seasick (never been sick on a cruise) and the one time we booked an oceanview he learned quickly that looking out the window was NOT going to happen.

Balconies are not a problem because they are higher, but oceanview cabins are generally closer to sea level and shows more motion.

You are sticking your older parents in an OV and it will be his birthday. You should change yours to an inside and move them to a suite or an OV balcony at the least:D

Hey, I'd be thrilled senseless if the offspring would just once treat us to a cruise rather than the other way around. If we wanted a better cabin than they could afford, we'd make up the difference.