Crew hanging out on wrap around promenade

Actually on the Freedom Class ships there is a very large (by crew standards) outside area for them by the helicopter pad.

The reason I am there day and night is it is a very popular area for guests to sit outside and still be covered from the heat and sun. It is *not* a crew area more than a passenger area - not sure why you would think that.

For those of you mentioning crew stepping out or passing through - this is normal and I see that all the time. This is not what I've been seeing - They are "hanging out" for longer periods of time. Very different than what I've seen on other cruises.

I did tweet RCCL about it and they responded. Not interested in complaining at guest services and waiting in line but thank you for the suggestion.

I am very well aware of Freedom class ships. The area has crew walking through aft deck 4 all the time. Just as much theirs as it is yours Edited by SeaUs

I am very well aware of Freedom class ships. The area has crew walking through aft deck 4 all the time. Just as much theirs as it is yours

Walking around, even smoking and using their cell phones ... that's fine ... but sleeping on the deck chairs ??? You think that should be acceptable?

Walking around, even smoking and using their cell phones ... that's fine ... but sleeping on the deck chairs ??? You think that should be acceptable?

Oh good grief, so what?

Lots of people sleep on deck chairs on a ship, LOL

Edited by SeaUs

Isn't that up to their supervisors? Any issue should be reported to Guest Services. And, they can shed light on whether that is allowed, but it's up to the cruiseline to deal with and elevating it to the corporate level first isn't how it should be handled.

Edited by BND

Not getting into whether members of the crew should or should not be there, but unless there has been a dramatic reduction of seating on deck 4, I find it hard to believe that just because there a some crew in a seat, that other seats are hard to come by.

Whenever I've sailed on Liberty (and believe me it's quite a few times) there has never been a shortage of seating on deck 4. May not always be where I wanted them to be, but there has been plenty to go around.

Edited by peteukmcr

... but sleeping on the deck chairs ??? You think that should be acceptable?

So a tired, overworked crew member sat down for a minute and nodded off. Hardly a federal case. Remember, they often work 14+ hours per day, 7 days per week, for 8 months at a time. If everyone who ever nodded off at work during a break got fired, nobody would be left to run the planet.

Where should they go? Keep them cooped up inside 24/7?. There are very few areas outside for crew. What reason are you there day and night that you've noticed this. That is a crew area more than passenger area anyway

Really? Since when?

Isn't that up to their supervisors? Any issue should be reported to Guest Services. And, they can shed light on whether that is allowed, but it's up to the cruiseline to deal with and elevating it to the corporate level first isn't how it should be handled.

I have to disagree - the best way to get a response or action in today's world is to tweet a company. They responded in less time than it would take me to wait in line at guest services that they would pass it along to the management of the ship. Plus - if it is an issue with the management of the ship "not caring" then talking to guest services wouldn't help anything. When you get corporate involved then there is pressure to address it.

Perhaps my view is a little different, but I don't believe that crew should smoke, hang out or talk on their personal cell phones on public decks. It's not that I feel they are "less" than me - it is just what is a standard in the hospitality industry. Why even bother having a crew mess, crew bar or crew outside area then?

I cruised to Alaska last year on another cruise line. I always went to the same smoking area. There were always crew members sitting there smoking. I never thought twice about it.

If they get a break, it's usually not very long. It would take up their entire break time to walk to their area. We shouldn't forget, they are working for us. They are people too. They are not caged animals. Yes, they do have their own area of the ship, but I have no problem with them mingling with me. I enjoy talking to them and finding out about them. They work hard. Probably harder then any of us ever thought about.

I have to disagree - the best way to get a response or action in today's world is to tweet a company. They responded in less time than it would take me to wait in line at guest services that they would pass it along to the management of the ship. Plus - if it is an issue with the management of the ship "not caring" then talking to guest services wouldn't help anything. When you get corporate involved then there is pressure to address it.

Perhaps my view is a little different, but I don't believe that crew should smoke, hang out or talk on their personal cell phones on public decks. It's not that I feel they are "less" than me - it is just what is a standard in the hospitality industry. Why even bother having a crew mess, crew bar or crew outside area then?

For some reason, I do think you believe they are less then you. I'm just curious how this is hurting you in any way. Have they verbally assaulted you? Do they smell bad? Are they ruining your vacation?

Wow -- what seemed like a simple question " I've never seen this before and while I want the crew to be well taken care of, this seems odd since they have their own indoor and outdoor space on this class of ship. Has anyone seen this before? Are they just not policing it on this ship?

Has, like normal, turned into nasty.

I've been on the Liberty twice, the last time this past Dec and never, ever saw the behavior described. Did see crew all the time popping out/in those 'hidden doors'. Crew have a fairly nice area under the heli-pad and there are those forbidden stairs there.

The wrap-around area I'm assuming is the stern area. That is one area I have seen crew a lot - but they are usually working, or coming in/out crew doors. Have not seen crew hanging out there -- if they are on this cruise, then yes, in my opinion they shouldn't be.

I do understand and want crew to get their breaks and I could care less, for the most part, if they are taking it in passenger areas and they're are not supposed to be there -- this sounds like a bit more that though.

So a tired, overworked crew member sat down for a minute and nodded off. Hardly a federal case. Remember, they often work 14+ hours per day, 7 days per week, for 8 months at a time. If everyone who ever nodded off at work during a break got fired, nobody would be left to run the planet.

There are some jobs.. like oh say a truck driver.. who works 14 hours a day (they can only drive 11 in 14, but they can work 14 hours plus any time prechecking, paperwork, ect...) that I would hope wouldn't just fall asleep at work.....

Sorry not on topic, just seen my share of people falling asleep at jobs they shouldn't be falling asleep at.... sometimes it's dangerous. Falling asleep in this situation isn't and will not hurt anyone, but that still doesn't make it right.

For some reason, I do think you believe they are less then you. I'm just curious how this is hurting you in any way. Have they verbally assaulted you? Do they smell bad? Are they ruining your vacation?

Sorry, I don't feel that it was the OP was saying at all.

I enjoy greeting the crew I meet when I'm doing my walk-laps on the outer promenades of any ship - some are better than others since I can go from one end to the other without having to cut back through inside. And don't have a problem with any crew. If I did see crew smoking, congregating on a passenger deck I'd wonder why they were too.

It has absolutely nothing to do with me thinking they are 'less than me'; it's the boundary set by the cruise lines themselves -- that could be an aware where they should not be in.

Sorry, I don't feel that it was the OP was saying at all.

I enjoy greeting the crew I meet when I'm doing my walk-laps on the outer promenades of any ship - some are better than others since I can go from one end to the other without having to cut back through inside. And don't have a problem with any crew. If I did see crew smoking, congregating on a passenger deck I'd wonder why they were too.

It has absolutely nothing to do with me thinking they are 'less than me'; it's the boundary set by the cruise lines themselves -- that could be an aware where they should not be in.

Thanks. You summed it up perfectly. This is behavior that is different than I have seen on any different cruise I have been on and it caught my attention. That's all.

But, you don't make the rules for the crew, the cruiseline does. Also, elevating so quickly to the corporate level is such an "entitled" thing to do. Social media has created such obnoxious behavior.

And, yeah, you do come across as thinking the crew is somehow "less" than you. It comes across pretty clearly.

Edited by BND

They responded so quickly as they have no choice. The current 140 character world we live in demands this.

Whether airing complaints in a public forum without giving shipboard management the chance to correct it first may seem justified to some, it is repugnant to others.

They responded in the only way they could and stated:

RCI We're happy to hear you're having fun, and we'll share your comments with shipboard management.

This is actually a shipboard management issue and the ships need to have systems in place dictated by corporate offices, but not policed by them unless the shipboard team did not handle the guest complaint in a satisfactory manner.

Guest Services can be contacted per telephone from the convenience of your cabin as well.

You will have the opportunity to fill out the post-cruise questionnaire and they will ask you if any complaints were handled correctly to your satisfaction and this is one proper channel to voice your concerns along with contacting Guest Services, while you are onboard.

I did tweet RCCL about it and they responded....

What was their response?

Easily found on Twitter but out of respect for OP, I will not repost the details.

EDITED TO ADD: MADflyer, oh well! LOL We were typing at the same time. :D

Edited by Langley Cruisers

I always thought of the crew mess/bar/club as allowing them to get away from us, rather than to save us from having to see people not working. Imagine if you were a steward having a drink during your rare downtime, and one of "your" guests started chatting and "happened" to mention they needed extra towels. The correct response would be "remind me in the morning", but due to their attention to customer care they'd probably feel obliged to at least try and remember it, if not go and take care of it then.

The outside deck is covered in cameras all over the place, so I'm sure that the security staff, at a minimum, are very aware of exactly who's hanging around where, and for how long. I can guarantee this, because a group of us were hanging around late one night, and one guy was demonstrating "spinal manipulation" on me. About 30 seconds in, 2 security guys came dashing out of somewhere - they weren't sure if I was being attacked, or if we were getting overly amorous in public, but either way they were on it :)

There are some jobs.. like oh say a truck driver.. who works 14 hours a day (they can only drive 11 in 14, but they can work 14 hours plus any time prechecking, paperwork, ect...) that I would hope wouldn't just fall asleep at work.....

It's on break I was talking about. If a truck driver pulls into a truck stop, and takes a 5 minute nap in the cab, it really shouldn't be a big deal. Obviously, falling asleep on the road is an issue, but I don't think that's what we're talking about here.

They responded so quickly as they have no choice. The current 140 character world we live in demands this.

Whether airing complaints in a public forum without giving shipboard management the chance to correct it first may seem justified to some, it is repugnant to others.

They responded in the only way they could and stated:

RCI We're happy to hear you're having fun, and we'll share your comments with shipboard management.

This is actually a shipboard management issue and the ships need to have systems in place dictated by corporate offices, but not policed by them unless the shipboard team did not handle the guest complaint in a satisfactory manner.

Guest Services can be contacted per telephone from the convenience of your cabin as well.

You will have the opportunity to fill out the post-cruise questionnaire and they will ask you if any complaints were handled correctly to your satisfaction and this is one proper channel to voice your concerns along with contacting Guest Services, while you are onboard.

Totally agree!!

Easily found on Twitter but out of respect for OP, I will not repost the details.

EDITED TO ADD: MADflyer, oh well! LOL We were typing at the same time. :D

Thanks for your help. Not all of us live by the 140 character world. Since this issue/topic was published on a public forum, as well as the solution of taking to Twitter, asking for the response did not seem out of line.

Thanks for your help. Not all of us live by the 140 character world. Since this issue/topic was published on a public forum, as well as the solution of taking to Twitter, asking for the response did not seem out of line.

Agree as well, but since OP didn't post RCI's reply, I didn't feel it was my place to do so. :)

Not sure why the OP is getting pummeled. I'll bet some of you wouldn't be too happy if that employee nap was in a pool lounger in the middle of the day or a theater seat during a show so why would it be acceptable in a lounger on Deck 4?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At the very least it would be a chance to share a smile with a hardworking crew member. If I worked a 14 hour day I would like to take a break and get a breath of fresh air. Maybe a THANK YOU for your hard work would be in order.

I am sure there are lots of crew we don't see that help make our cruise the wonderful experience we enjoy.

Happy travels

4boysnana