Is there a reasonably cost-effective way to cruise from Port Canaveral?

I've looked at cruises from PC, but I can't seem to put together anything that makes sense financially when I factor in the cost of the airfare and the ground transportation to and from the port. Virtually every combination I've come up with so far exceeds the cost of the cruise.

Is this a "Florida residents only" departure port?

I've looked at cruises from PC, but I can't seem to put together anything that makes sense financially when I factor in the cost of the airfare and the ground transportation to and from the port. Virtually every combination I've come up with so far exceeds the cost of the cruise.

Actually, Port Canaveral is one of the most convenient ports for the fly-in traveler. We usually use a one-way rental car for about $50 for the trip from the airport to the port, and a shuttle back to the airport after the cruise for about $20pp. Hotels are also reasonable in the Cocoa Beach area.

Check out Galveston if you want to experience a port that is very expensive and inconvenient for the fly-in traveler.

That is weird - Orlando is one of the cheapest airports for us to fly into :confused:

Unless it has to do with school vacation times - you are checking flights at a time that tons of families with kids are going to Orlando?

I guess it can depend on where you are flying from, but with the number of flights into MCO the prices are usually not terrible -- unless you are trying to go Christmas/New Years week. Even from little 'ol Bradley "International" in CT, its rarely over $350pp round trip and can be less. Add about $100 for ground transportation -- and you are at $450pp.

mac_tlc

Check prices flying into Melbourne also (MLB) it is about the same distance to the port and sometimes there are deals.

Bottom line, yes, the days of spending a few hundred on flights are long gone. A good price now is in the $700 range for a couple (+ luggage and transfers). Take some extra vacation time on the way back, so you can be flexible and cash in on the free vouchers the airlines are giving away because they over booked all the flights.

I'm trying to do this for a long weekend (preferably MLK or Pres Day weekend to minimizing days off from school) so that's part of the problem. The ground transportation has me struggling though. Frankly booking a car isn't one of the first things I think of, but $50 for a one-way rental sounds pretty reasonable. Where did you secure that rate? also, what flight time can you reasonably expect to make on the return home? Since I know there's at least an hour of road time between the port and Orlando, I'm concerned about what is a safe expectation to avoid missing the flight.

I did cruise out of Galveston once (LOVED the aquarium at Moody Gardens) and I agree that the RT ground transportation was pretty pricey even then.

SheehanDJ, I did check Melbourne at your suggestion, but from Cleveland that doesn't seem to be an economical option.

I'm trying to do this for a long weekend (preferably MLK or Pres Day weekend to minimizing days off from school) so that's part of the problem. The ground transportation has me struggling though. Frankly booking a car isn't one of the first things I think of, but $50 for a one-way rental sounds pretty reasonable. Where did you secure that rate? also, what flight time can you reasonably expect to make on the return home? Since I know there's at least an hour of road time between the port and Orlando, I'm concerned about what is a safe expectation to avoid missing the flight....

I routinely get that rental rate from Avis, but I have not checked for the date you are considering.

I would be comfortable with a noon flight out of MCO, though I believe the cruise line recommends 1pm.

Here are the rental companies in the Cocoa Beach area that have free shuttles to the port:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46477988&postcount=5

When we lived in the Pacific Northwest, RCCL always made the arrangements for flight and transportation to/from MCO and Port Canaveral. When we sailed out of Miami, again, RCCL made all the arrangements. The prices were always reasonable.

Does anyone know if RCCL no longer does this? How about other cruise lines?

When we lived in the Pacific Northwest, RCCL always made the arrangements for flight and transportation to/from MCO and Port Canaveral. When we sailed out of Miami, again, RCCL made all the arrangements. The prices were always reasonable.

You can get transfers from Royal. In the case of Port Canaveral to/from Orlando, the cost is $37.50 per person, each way.

Oh, they do it alright. The price they quoted me for flight (didn't even include the ground transfers, which I could add at an additional cost) was over $500 and involved a return flight through O'Hare that had me back in Cleveland about midnight.

Agreed, Port Canaveral is relatively easy compared to Galveston.

I got a good price on a flight through Southwest, and booked a one-way car rental through Budget for $40. Got a hotel on Cocoa Beach for $90. Not too bad. Maybe it depends on time of year, but this is in January.

The cruiseline should also have transfers available.

PC is one of our favorite ports to sail from.

For us getting their from either Cleveland or Pittsburgh we are able to get a non stop flight.

We watch closely for lower air fares and book when the price is right.

FLL nice, but we pay more and at this time not able to get a non stop flight unless we drive a distance.

Safe travels.

Have flown from Virginia to Orlando at a reasonable air flight price.

CC posters recommended going to port canaveral dot com for transportation and hotel.

Did that.

Got driven to a Cocoa Beach hotel right on the beach (Palms International ?) picked up the next day and taken to the cruise ship, then picked up and taken back to the airport after the cruise was over.

Total cost for transportation AND room = $ 139.00

For comparison it costs me $ 150.00 for a round trip taxi ride from my home to the airport in N. Va. - total distance one way = 25 miles.

If you don't want a hotel Travelynx and Cocoa Beach shuttle are both reliable if you don't want to rent a car.

We get direct SW flights from Columbus to Orlando, stay one night at Disney using our DVC points, car rental through National/Alamo...drive to Port Canaveral day of the cruise . Drop off rental car at the National/Alamo location near the Port and take their shuttle to the ship. We use the RCI transportation back to Orlando airport and fly home. For us, very convenient and reasonable cost. But we still like Ft Lauderdale!!

I'm trying to do this for a long weekend (preferably MLK or Pres Day weekend to minimizing days off from school) so that's part of the problem. The ground transportation has me struggling though. Frankly booking a car isn't one of the first things I think of, but $50 for a one-way rental sounds pretty reasonable. Where did you secure that rate? also, what flight time can you reasonably expect to make on the return home? Since I know there's at least an hour of road time between the port and Orlando, I'm concerned about what is a safe expectation to avoid missing the flight.

We used a one-way rental car for our cruise. Worked really great. I'm pretty sure it was Budget. Picked up car in Orlando and drove to Canaveral. Kept the car overnight so we had a way to shop for wine and drive to a place to have dinner. Dropped the car at Budget and they took us to the pier for no charge. (tip the driver.) We were picked up at the pier and took us to their facility. Rented car and drove to airport. (I think it was Hertz that drove us back. The driver said the agencies all help each other out and he had room.) Very easy and probably a bit cheaper if you're taking a family. I think it was around $50 one way. BTW, had a Lincoln Town Car for the rid back to the airport. They also had a fuel special. I think it was about $15 refuel charge if you drove less than 75 miles. (That's a deal.) That was plenty of mileage to drive to the motel, out to dinner, and back to the rental place.

I did cruise out of Galveston once (LOVED the aquarium at Moody Gardens) and I agree that the RT ground transportation was pretty pricey even then.

SheehanDJ, I did check Melbourne at your suggestion, but from Cleveland that doesn't seem to be an economical option.

Try flying out of the Akron Canton airport (CAK). I know it's an hour drive from Cleveland, but sometimes prices are much more reasonable. CAK was nearly $1000 cheaper to fly out of for Alaska than Hopkins international.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with the cruiseline transport on the way in and with Cortrans on the way out of the airport. Total:$57.50+tips.

My airfare is through SW and it cost $118.00 round trip (caught an almost unadvertised sale with this). Also, check for airline deals through the cruiseline. Depending on your departure city, they have been fairly reasonable lately.

I would not do a short cruise that requires a flight...just not cost effective![/QUOTE]

That's a fairly broad and generalized comment......it depends totally on what your vacation encompasses. We are doing a short (4 day) cruise next week, and are flying in from midwest to MCO....but the cruise is only ONE PART of our vacation. We are staying on in Orlando and going to the theme parks after the short cruise. So a flight is VERY cost effective for us. Many folks do "short cruises" and then add in land vacations....so that is a very short sighted comment stated the way you put it!! :rolleyes: