HAL Captain Johannes 'Hans' Mateboer retires

Copper10-8

Yesterday, Sunday 20 AUG 2017, saw the retirement, after 42 years at sea, of HAL Captain Johannes 'Hans' Materboer in the Rotterdam Cruise Terminal, the Netherlands. During recent years, Captain Mateboer, with HAL since 1980, was in command of co-flagship Rotterdam. He was also captain for Disney Cruise Line and is the author of several "cruise ship-related" books for adults and children. Captain Eric van der Wal (seen in the 2nd pic on the right side) took over command of ms Rotterdam from Capt. Mateboer

From his HAL Daily Program bio:

Captain Mateboer was born in thesmall town of Genemuiden in the eastern part ofthe Netherlands.Living on a river and seeing an occasional seagoing ship pass by, he decided atan early age not to join the family business, but to become a sea captain.After leaving the Merchant Marine Academyin 1975, he spent his first 5 years at sea on virtually every type of cargoship, sailing to every corner of the world under the Dutch, Danish, and Britishflags.

In 1980, he joined Holland America Line and shortly thereafter was appointed Safety Officer during the construction of the last incarnation of the Noordam and subsequently has been involved in four new builds. He became Captain in 1993 on the then brand new MS Statendam, where he also met his future wife during a cruise in the Baltic. Captain Mateboer joined Disney Cruise Line in 1998 and was first master of the Disney Magic before returning to HAL in 2003.

20915625_1827362380611402_1548513467340555528_n.jpg?oh=cad12f7d15a9144f59e8d29d4a877fa2&oe=5A17F7E9

20914202_1827362373944736_6921988639306185865_n.jpg?oh=66a0da5155ec9726054f8dcc2ba70cd9&oe=5A2723F3

We were on his next-to-last cruise on the Rotterdam last month (Viking Passages from Rotterdam to Boston). Enjoyed his daily updates, especially when SE Greenland was iced in and they had to figure out where to go and how to get there in SW Greenland. Enjoyed the "Meet the Captain" program one morning in the theater but even better was meeting and talking with him during the Behind the Scenes tour. Great sense of humor!

With Captain Mateboer at the helm, I have had the pleasure of being a guest aboard the M.S. Noordam when she sailed from New York for the Caribbean. He joined M.S. Rotterdam last Summer in Rotterdam for the final segment of the 2016 VOV as this ship's Master.

An accomplished and successful Captain, a guest friendly and approachable ship's Master, and an author of tales from his experiences that are most interesting, I want to wish Captain Mateboer a most healthful and enjoyable retirement.

God Bless!

With Captain Mateboer at the helm, I have had the pleasure of being a guest aboard the M.S. Noordam when she sailed from New York for the Caribbean. He joined M.S. Rotterdam last Summer in Rotterdam for the final segment of the 2016 VOV as this ship's Master.

An accomplished and successful Captain, a guest friendly and approachable ship's Master, and an author of tales from his experiences that are most interesting, I want to wish Captain Mateboer a most healthful and enjoyable retirement.

God Bless!

We fortunate to be on a cruise with him and get a signed copy of his one book "The Captain's Log" -- I think that was the name of the book. It is downstairs and I get can't get down to check the title.

kk,

Yes, you are correct in your memory. For some time, he wrote articles for a quarterly publication Cruise Industry News. Don't know for sure, but some of those pieces became part of his books.

His children's books are significant. Those of my family who are of a tender age have received these and the books have been loved by them (as I have been told by their parents).

A funny story from the Viking Passage this year. The cruise director announced the wrong captain for the welcome aboard toast. Captain Matebore never let him forget it. When it came time for the CD to introduce the captain at the Mariner's reception, Captain Matebore held up his name on a Que card so the CD wouldn't fumble the introduction again.

Thanks John for posting that Captain Hans Mateboer had retired. You did a much better job of giving his history than I could have. He will definitely be missed. As I mentioned yesterday on my Facebook Page, our cruise "Around Africa" with him is definitely one of the best cruises we have done.

We had the excitement of Iranian gunboats following us. But with the confident Captain Hans at the helm, we had no worries. He reassured us that we were the first ship of the season and they were just checking us out.

When we had to deviate due to an approaching cyclone. He reassured us that the Rotterdam can handle the storm. Reason he was deviating was that he was concerned that we couldn't. He took us to Point Zero Zero, a place where few ships go. Intersection of Equator and Prime Meridian.

So although we have only sailed with him once, it was definitely a memorable cruise. Alan and I wish him the best in his retirement!

Books written by Capt. Mateboer for adults:

lc.gif&client=bipsite&type=nocover&imagelinking=1

Does all this extra time, mean we might be seeing more books. I love his stories.

I never got to sail with him but his sense of humor is all through the books.

I hope he has a carefree retirement.

Thanks for posting Copper! Coincidentally, I had just bought the first two of his books and have kept them to read on an upcoming cruise. I didn't realize there was a third!

Be advised Miss G, that the "Captain's Quest" contains eight stories, one each from The Captain's Log and The Captain's Journal, and six new ones ;)

Happy retirement, Captain Mateboer! I'm disappointed, though, we will be on Rotterdam in October. Copper, do you know who our Captain will be?

Not at the moment Ann; Capt. Marco Carsjens was Rotterdam's "other" captain

I never had the pleasure of sailing with Capt. Mateboer on our one Rotterdam cruise. But with one of our favorites, Capt. van der Wal, as his replacement we have even more incentive to sail on Rotterdam again.

Just be advised Shrimpie; as of right now, it's only a temp assignment for Capt. Eric. His "normal" ship is Veendam after his very 1st captain's contract on Statendam to French Polynesia and back in 2013