Harmony Single...Am I doing something wrong?

Hi, was looking to book Harmony from FL in April 2018. I'm a solo cruiser and was shocked to see a price of $2800, when two travelers cost $1800. Did I do something wrong or is this how it goes?

:confused:

Hi, was looking to book Harmony from FL in April 2018. I'm a solo cruiser and was shocked to see a price of $2800, when two travelers cost $1800. Did I do something wrong or is this how it goes?

Single cruisers usually pay the same as two cruisers less port fees and taxes. Cabin prices are normally based on double occupancy.

Pricing for a solo can be double what 2 people pay. I sail solo all the time and lately pricing has been double. I did get a deal on Australia next year on the Radiance for one of those 1 person tiny cabins, but this is the exception rather than the rule, unfortunately.

Hi,

Are you referring to the prices for one of the single occupancy studio staterooms? There seems to a problem with the pricing for these staterooms. I have booked a cruise as a solo on the Harmony of Seas for December 2017 and noticed the same thing. It is less expensive to book a double occupancy stateroom and pay the single supplement (this is what I did).

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9

Cabins are priced PER PERSON, based on DOUBLE occupancy. If one person is 1800....then the cost of the cabin is DOUBLE that! That's what the CABIN will cost, whether there are one or two of you in it.

Edited by cb at sea

Please post the stateroom category and sailing date you are considering.

Yes, it is for the solo cruise cabins....you know the closets...LOL

I thought Royal was doing what Norweigen did with there solo cabins. I have a BIG problem booking a solo cabin, 98 sq ft, for almost $3000. It is actually paying for 3. If I recall the rate is 890/person, which I know would be around 1800. Something cant be right. :eek:

seacruise9......Is there really a problem in the pricing online?...I can just wait to book.

clarea....April 14, 2018....SI...Studio interior

Edited by junior8

Hi,

Are you referring to the prices for one of the single occupancy studio staterooms? There seems to a problem with the pricing for these staterooms. I have booked a cruise as a solo on the Harmony of Seas for December 2017 and noticed the same thing. It is less expensive to book a double occupancy stateroom and pay the single supplement (this is what I did).

Chuck

I thought the same thing. I'm booked on the 22 April 2017 cruise in a solo OV and was thinking of adding the 29 April cruise. When I checked the price I almost fell over it was over $5000 CAD - in fact a Junior Suite with the single supplement was roughly $200 CAD more than what they wanted for the solo OV.

I sent a message to Royal on their Face Book page asking about the pricing as it looked like a mistake and was told: "Hi Brenda, we have looked into this and the pricing is correct, due to the demand of rooms". I'm thinking who is going to pay almost double for a smaller cabin when they can book the regular OV with the single supplement for almost half the price?

I thought Royal was doing what Norweigen did with there solo cabins. I have a BIG problem booking a solo cabin, 98 sq ft, for almost $3000. It is actually paying for 3. If I recall the rate is 890/person, which I know would be around 1800. Something cant be right. :eek:

seacruise9......Is there really a problem in the pricing online?...I can just wait to book.

Brenda, I just checked that for you. Just book the "regular" interior and you will pay the $1800 you were expecting.

More space, better cabin, lower fare. win-win-win!

Oh, and you will get double C&A points! :D

Edited by Merion_Mom

Because there are so few solo rooms for the size of the ship (for example only 24 on a Quantum class ship) the release prices are fairly good but then supply and demand starts to come into play and the solo cabins start to become poor value.

For example on the Ovation at the time of release the solo balcony for 1 person was cheaper than any non-solo rooms for 1 person by over $1000. Once they started to sell the numbers started to change.

We considered booking one of those new solo cabins on our family cruise for HOTS in March 2017 for my adult son...but the price difference (we got a great deal when the booking first opened) was only a bit more to put him in a Boardwalk Balcony right next to (we have the last 4 aft's) the rest of the family...and booked him and a TBD guest.

Because there are so few solo rooms for the size of the ship (for example only 24 on a Quantum class ship) the release prices are fairly good but then supply and demand starts to come into play and the solo cabins start to become poor value.

For example on the Ovation at the time of release the solo balcony for 1 person was cheaper than any non-solo rooms for 1 person by over $1000. Once they started to sell the numbers started to change.

In the case of the Harmony solo cabins, these crazy prices were from the day the new itineraries were released a couple of weeks ago. My feeling is the prices will have to be reduced as I can't imagine anyone paying for a smaller solo cabin when they can get a balcony (with the single supplement) for less.

I don't get the pricing for the solo cabins at all. I booked a NZ and Australia cruise for 2017 and got regular pricing (not doubled), now when I check those cabins are almost double. I don't understand how they can price a single cabin for a solo as a double.

I don't get the pricing for the solo cabins at all. I booked a NZ and Australia cruise for 2017 and got regular pricing (not doubled), now when I check those cabins are almost double. I don't understand how they can price a single cabin for a solo as a double.

I've seen that same pricing situation on the Radiance class studio staterooms. Many times the price is the same or higher for the solo stateroom as it is for the single guest in a double occupancy stateroom.

Very true and I don't get it. Because I book longer cruises, I would now stay away from the smaller single solo, doesn't make sense.

I lucked out with the pricing on Radiance for Australia, maybe it has to do with a special or something. I booked in Aug. 2015 and by a Fall cruise on the Vision (Oct.), the single solo cabin had doubled when I wanted to add on another segment. Crazy! Needless to say, I did not add the Transpacific portion to my cruise!

Edited by susancruzs

Those solo studios are a scam. With that money I can invite a friend to a regular stateroom, or sell the 2nd passenger complement with a 50% off and add an ultimate beverage package, gratuities, Voom Internet, specialty dining package, and shore excursions to my account.

Edited by Pipo

Very true and I don't get it. Because I book longer cruises, I would now stay away from the smaller single solo, doesn't make sense.

I lucked out with the pricing on Radiance for Australia, maybe it has to do with a special or something. I booked in Aug. 2015 and by a Fall cruise on the Vision (Oct.), the single solo cabin had doubled when I wanted to add on another segment. Crazy! Needless to say, I did not add the Transpacific portion to my cruise!

Plus, you lose out on the double C&A points on the solo staterooms.

Hi,

A couple of months ago, I considered a February 2017 cruise on the Harmony of the Seas. At that time, the studios were fairly priced (less expensive than paying double occupancy for a standard outside stateroom). When I saw the prices for the studio staterooms for late 2017, I thought there must be a mistake (they are much more expensive). Apparently, this is not a mistake. I don't know why anyone would book a studio stateroom under the current pricing. I have a feeling that the prices on these rooms will come down.

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9

• 1 month later...
Hi,

A couple of months ago, I considered a February 2017 cruise on the Harmony of the Seas. At that time, the studios were fairly priced (less expensive than paying double occupancy for a standard outside stateroom). When I saw the prices for the studio staterooms for late 2017, I thought there must be a mistake (they are much more expensive). Apparently, this is not a mistake. I don't know why anyone would book a studio stateroom under the current pricing. I have a feeling that the prices on these rooms will come down.

Chuck

I guess I should consider myself lucky. I booked a studio outside cabin on the HOS Transatlantic in October and paid $1272.00. Yes I know the room will be small. I have checked prices on the Royal site and an outside now is showing $5234.00 CDN for solo occupancy. Soo I will be happy in my "closet" and I won't have to share with anyone at a price I can afford.

Yes you did.

• 11 months later...
I guess I should consider myself lucky. I booked a studio outside cabin on the HOS Transatlantic in October and paid $1272.00. Yes I know the room will be small. I have checked prices on the Royal site and an outside now is showing $5234.00 CDN for solo occupancy. Soo I will be happy in my "closet" and I won't have to share with anyone at a price I can afford.

Can you tell me how you booked the studio cabin?

I've been trying to see if there are any left for our December sailing (a friend wants to come, but have his own room) but I can't figure out how to check. I called Royal directly, and the rep told me they don't HAVE any studio rooms (like on the ship, they don't exist) which I know is wrong! I'm trying to find out if there are any left/what the price would be.

Yes you did.

Often the website has "guarantee rates" when you search for 2 passengers, but when you change it to 1 they are gone. A call to royal, and a hold for revenue dept. they will special fare you at a guarantee price, but for 1 passenger. I've done this many of times over the years.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I booked a single studio on Adventure of the Seas (with help of a travel agent) for what I thought was a good price at just over $1300 CAD. Regular inside cabin would have been $1900. I booked it over a year prior to the cruise date. There are only 6 single cabins on the ship and they book really fast. So it is possible to get single studios at a reasonable fare, it's just not easy.