Am I the only one who misses formal ?

Morisnfan

I don't consider myself old, I'm 47, but maybe old fashioned. When I started cruising 15 or so years ago, and had to buy my first formal dress, I'll admit, I hated it. I'd never been to a real real event and just felt creeped out, until that first night, after seeing myself all dressed up with my guy in a tux. We've worn formal every cruise since! I've read so many posts/threads where people fight it and just won't dress, trying to get away with as casual as possible. I don't mind seeing others in casual dress at all, but I just wonder if lines will stop having fancy formal nights since it seems majority don't like it.

I am not advocating going back to wearing a hat and gloves when going downtown (which I remember from my early childhood) but I love getting dressed up for dinner on cruises. All men look fantastic in a tux regardless of height, build, or age! A formal dress on a lady gives her elegance.

I have been told that for my next cruise (on RCI) that I will see very few people dressed formally. I am still going to dress up.

You should try a crossing on a Cunard ship, Morisnfan. You would love the formal nights.

I enjoy dressing up (and my husband owns a tux) but these days we pack light and do longer trips, and usually don't go to the Caribbean. So I prefer a line not to have a formal night. The last time my husband packed his tuxedo was 2008 (Panama Canal, holy cow has it been that long??) The last ocean cruise we did was Black Sea and husband didn't bring his tuxedo - we were gone 2 weeks and still packed small bags - just did some laundry. That was on Pacific Princess and we like set dining and did attend the formal nights, but he wore a sports coat (I can't remember what I wore:o) Last cruise was a river cruise (no dressing up) and next cruise is Asia on Azamara - no formal nights.

I think you'll ALWAYS be able to dress up more than the dress code. And, as mentioned, there are still lines that have formal nights and expect people to dress appropriately.

I don't like it anymore. Our next cruise we'll have formal nights and we will comply but I'd rather not.

Once I'm dressed and out and about I do enjoy looking at everyone, but by the second formal night it's like "I wish I didn't have to do this."

I can't say we dress Prom Night formal.

But I always wear a suit (mostly) or Tux and DW wears something she might wear to a wedding (not a park or beech) or even when she is supervising a Prom.

Edited by GUT2407

We dress formally. My DH really enjoys it and is interested in looking really sharp. We really shopped around to find tux shirts that fit his neck and then had the body tailored. He is comfortable. He is 78 and somewhat portly. He wears a waistcoat instead of a cummerbund and loves it. I wear long gowns with dressy sandals (no pantyhose). So we are both comfortable.

I surely hope formal wear never goes away.

Margee

DH and I enjoy formal nights. We opt for MDR. On casual nights, DH normally wears a dress shirt & slack. I love the opportunities to "dress up" and DH looks so nice in a tux!

There are so many dining options and venues. Dress-up....dress-down .....

It's your vacation. Dress the way you want to.

It really doesn't bother me that DH now takes his navy sports coat rather than his tuxedo. I sort of like wearing my black silk pants with a lace or silk top.

We enjoyed formal nights when they were truly formal. They no longer are so we are willing to go with the flow. :)

We enjoyed formal nights when they were truly formal. They no longer are so we are willing to go with the flow. :)

That's sort of how I feel. I've been cruising since I was a child (1970s), when cruising was REALLY different. For a while I used to enjoy the whole formal thing, especially in the 1980s -- the decade of Dynasty, Dallas and Big Hair, lol.

Now, I cruise mostly for the ports, not for the opportunity to dress up onboard ship. I feel I have evolved to have a style that is sophisticated and dressy, but would not quality as truly formal -- and that is fine both for me and for most cruise lines, with possible exception of Cunard.

That's sort of how I feel. I've been cruising since I was a child (1970s), when cruising was REALLY different. For a while I used to enjoy the whole formal thing, especially in the 1980s -- the decade of Dynasty, Dallas and Big Hair, lol.

Now, I cruise mostly for the ports, not for the opportunity to dress up onboard ship. I feel I have evolved to have a style that is sophisticated and dressy, but would not quality as truly formal -- and that is fine both for me and for most cruise lines, with possible exception of Cunard.

Hear you on that!

In the 70's/80's DH took his tux, a black suit, and his navy sports coat.

Now, he down to the navy sports coat. :D

LuLu

Yeah, I feel like the 'formal outfits' are very late 80's / early 90's. I almost find really formal a little tacky...

Well, really formal is hard to do when you pack a single suitcase or (for some) just a carry on. They aren't the kind of clothes (and shoes/underclothes/jewelry/handbags) that lend themselves to being worn at other times, so it would be giving up about half your packing space for one 6 hour period.

I miss the idea of formal nights on most cruise lines. One of the main reasons that my wife and I choose Cunard is the elegance of formal wear. We are going on Crystal on our next cruise and I will still take a tux for black tie optional night -- even on a seven night cruise. I know that comfort and casual attire is now what the majority of people seem to strive for, but I believe that there is still a place for formality in style. I just know that if more people could see how spectacular my wife looks in her formals, they would appreciate formal nights much more. I certainly do. I always tell people to just imagine a tall, slender, beautiful, graceful, elegant, platinum blonde in her formal. It just doesn't get much better than that. To top it all off, she is also an amazing dancer. It's certainly worth it to me to carry 5 extra pounds of luggage for the privilege of spending an evening with such an extraordinary woman wearing her finest.

Jerry of Jerry and Lady Kathryn

Well, really formal is hard to do when you pack a single suitcase or (for some) just a carry on. They aren't the kind of clothes (and shoes/underclothes/jewelry/handbags) that lend themselves to being worn at other times, so it would be giving up about half your packing space for one 6 hour period.

Most all of the upscale cruise lines no longer have formal nights or at least they are optionally formal. Totally not interested in what others wear so long as it's neat and clean and certainly are we not out to impress others either.

There are very no occasions at home when we would ever need formal happily.

Jerry, what a sweet thing to say about your wife!

Thanks for the replies/opinions everyone! We really like Princess, so will probably not go any more upscale than that. Pretty casual in regular life, so I'll just keep wearing what I like for formal nights. It's a fun change of pace for us. I hadn't thought about all the extra luggage, time etc it takes for some, so I can see why it's not for everyone.

Why the rude response?

I thought the same thing. Lol

Rarely do I post on the fashion thread because there seems to be people that feel the need to post this type of comment. Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Back to your post. I remember "ball gowns" on cruises and those times are gone. Dressing up on formal night for me includes black slacks, silk or evening top and bling jewelry. DH wears his tux

Alaska cruises are less formal. DH has worn dress shirt and tie.

Why the rude response?

OP Morisnfan, that is so funny because I had typed out a reply to her last night, but then re-read it, deleted it, and walked away from my computer. I'm afraid this member is known for her abrasiveness, and in fact I'm not sure why she posted what she did - certainly your "panties were not in a wad" (and that is one of the crudest phrases I have ever heard, by the way - sorry for re-posting it again!). I felt you were asking a sincere question, and longing for yesteryear when more passengers enjoyed Formal Night by dressing up. :o

She will not come back here and apologize or clarify. She posts and leaves. It's incredibly frustrating especially for nice people like yourself who are just here to contribute and share.

Hubby and I usually alternate formal wear on cruises - that is, we bring along our formal clothes one cruise and then the next one we don't. I guess it depends on how far we are flying, and the airline's bag fees. :p

Thank you! I figured it's just a big difference in personality, but felt it rude. I was glad so many people posted with differing opinions, as it kind of opened my eyes to differing scenarios. I feel lucky to be in California and many times able to drive to ship with no limits on packing!

Eh, to each his/her own. I don't have to pay baggage fees and I still fly carry-on or maybe check a 22" bag (either because I have liquids I want to bring or because I don't feel like hauling it through an airport during a layover). Baggage fees is not my personal reason for not really doing formal nights on cruises these days. Nor is it my husband - he actually has a very casual job and enjoys dressing up and looking dapper on vacation, but he hates bringing an item (like dress shoes!) that have limited applicability. If he could wear his tuxedo and dress shoes EVERY night, he'd be thrilled to pack it. But for 1 or 2 nights? Nope, that's "wasting space" :p