Trying O from Crystal

Crownimperial

You will be pleased. I've done 17 Crystal cruises and I'm on my first O cruise right now, and I'm beyond pleased. The food and service rivals Crystal, especially in their specialty restaurants such as Jacques and Red Ginger. I think Waves is just as good as Tastes and O's buffet is better than the Lido. We like Riviera so much that we booked another cruise for this coming March.

Edited by kitty9

While we went from a different luxury line (Regent) to Oceania's Riviera, I do have some comments. Firstly, while I agree that the specialty restaurants on the Riviera are wonderful, I cannot say the same for the Terrace Café (their buffet restaurant) or their main dining room. The Terrace Café has an enormous array of foods but we did not find the quality up to a luxury cruise line standard. After one less than enjoyable meal in their main dining room, we did not return.

We booked one of the top suites on the Riviera (much less $$$ than Regent or Silversea) and this enabled us to dine in the specialty restaurants every night. Interestingly, we did enjoy Waves very much (on the pool deck). Their surf and turf burger with truffle fries was amazing (we had it with double surf - no turf and no bread:-)

The ship itself is stunning and the upper suites are large and well laid out.

We purchased Oceania's alcohol package but still found the whole alcohol beverage situation much more tedious than on luxury cruise lines.

Hope this helps.

For us Oceania is ahead in dress code, resort casual at all times. Open dinning with many choices for dinner. Great cabins at all price points on Rivera. Crystal leads in shows, two per night, activities during the day. The all inclusive deal. The fact they have the moving roof over the lido deck so it can be used in bad weather. Both have excellent ships and good food although I rate the terrace cafe on Oceania better.

My wife and I will be trying out the Riviera this spring. We have been long time Crystal customers. Have any of you made similar choices?

From what we see online we expect to be very pleased.

We switched about 12 years ago and have not looked back. The only thing that Crystal has on Oceania is the show. Everything else on O is as good or better.

Probably a few differences not mentioned

O is not all inclusive

You may not see jackets/ties in the evening like on Crystal (it bothers some people)

No special orders for meals ..you get what is on the menus

If none of these bother you then Oceania might work for you

Thank you all for the very good input!

On the alcohol issue. We do not drink, used to but not any more, so when Crystal added all-inclusive alcohol and took away "as you wish" credits that was a net negative for us. Paying for drinks we cannot drink.

That makes O even more attractive to us.

We will be on the 4/11 crossing to Barcelona. If any of you will be with us we would love to meet you in person.

Edited by Crownimperial

Probably a few differences not mentioned

O is not all inclusive

You may not see jackets/ties in the evening like on Crystal (it bothers some people)

No special orders for meals ..you get what is on the menus

If none of these bother you then Oceania might work for you

Last time I checked most people these days do not want to dress like that anymore. Probably didn't years ago but had no choice. Now we do. With at least 4 different places to eat you can get pretty much anything you want for meals. We loved Crystal but we just love Oceania more. Different strokes, that's all.

While we went from a different luxury line (Regent) to Oceania's Riviera, I do have some comments. Firstly, while I agree that the specialty restaurants on the Riviera are wonderful, I cannot say the same for the Terrace Café (their buffet restaurant) or their main dining room. The Terrace Café has an enormous array of foods but we did not find the quality up to a luxury cruise line standard. After one less than enjoyable meal in their main dining room, we did not return.

We booked one of the top suites on the Riviera (much less $$$ than Regent or Silversea) and this enabled us to dine in the specialty restaurants every night. Interestingly, we did enjoy Waves very much (on the pool deck). Their surf and turf burger with truffle fries was amazing (we had it with double surf - no turf and no bread:-)

The ship itself is stunning and the upper suites are large and well laid out.

We purchased Oceania's alcohol package but still found the whole alcohol beverage situation much more tedious than on luxury cruise lines.

Hope this helps.

Does the Oceania suites allow you to dine in the speciality restaurants every night or just the four nights on an 11 or 12 not cruise?

Last time I checked most people these days do not want to dress like that anymore. Probably didn't years ago but had no choice. Now we do. With at least 4 different places to eat you can get pretty much anything you want for meals. We loved Crystal but we just love Oceania more. Different strokes, that's all.

I see Crystal has changed it's dress code but still requires a Jacket on some nights ....none required on O any night

This matters to some people ...I could care less as long as they do not wear their hat at the table

http://www.crystalcruises.com/guidebook/sailing-on-the-ship--18?JL=317&JLT=dress|code#jl

Black Tie Optional

A Black Tie Optional evening offers our guests a celebratory opportunity to dress more formally. Guests dining in the restaurants, with the exception of Tastes, are asked to adhere to the Black Tie Optional dress code. We ask that at least a jacket be worn by men for dinner. On Black Tie Optional evenings, if you choose to change your attire following the evening dinner festivities, please maintain a minimum style of dress in keeping with the dress code described above in Crystal Casual.

We will be on the 4/11 crossing to Barcelona. If any of you will be with us we would love to meet you in person.

I would join the Roll call for your cruise this is where you can meet your fellow shipmates ahead of time

Enjoy

Does the Oceania suites allow you to dine in the speciality restaurants every night or just the four nights on an 11 or 12 not cruise?

You start with 4 and then when on board can request additional nights. Usually you can get more if you are willing to take what is open that night. We have requested and had extra dining reservations.

You start with 4 and then when on board can request additional nights. Usually you can get more if you are willing to take what is open that night. We have requested and had extra dining reservations.

Not everyone starts with four reservations. They are allocated on a sliding scale based upon Cabin Category. We know many people who book Suites on Oceania just because they want those extra Reservations, and one very frequent cruiser who "lives the Suite life" for the closets AND the reservations.

Different strokes, I suppose..

Zoey1: Copied this from the Oceania website:

Marina and Riviera

Owner’s Suite, Vista Suite and Oceania Suite

Cruises 7 days or less: 1 reservation at each restaurant

Cruises 8-17 days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

Cruises 18 days or more: 3 reservations at each restaurant

Insignia, Nautica, Regatta and Sirena

Concierge Level Veranda and above

So, for a 11 or 12 night cruise, you are looking at 8 total reservations (2 in each dining venue). However, we had no difficulty getting more!

Edited by Travelcat2

If you are in a Suite and unable to get a reservation at one of the Specialty restaurants on any particular night, you may always ask your Butler to serve you en suite.

They will serve course by course.

We did that, and it was fine; we got exactly the food we wanted - yum!

But our Butler was also able to arrange a few extra nights in the Specialties.

Zoey1: Copied this from the Oceania website:

Marina and Riviera

Owner’s Suite, Vista Suite and Oceania Suite

Insignia, Nautica, Regatta and Sirena

Concierge Level Veranda and above

So, for a 11 or 12 night cruise, you are looking at 8 total reservations (2 in each dining venue). However, we had no difficulty getting more!

Same with us.

Bear in mind that your ability to get extra reservations also can depend on just who is on the ship with you. By that I mean that if a majority of passengers want extra reservations, that can curtail your ability to get extras for yourself. A suite passenger has a better chance for more reservations than someone below the concierge level will. (And the butler can be a great help in that connection as well.)

If you're on a cruise with lots of passengers (like us!) who aren't that enamored of the specialty restaurants, then your chances are better as well.

As to people who condemn the GDR after one dinner, I just don't get it. We happen to prefer the GDR in general. NOT because the food is better than the specialties -- I wouldn't go that far. But we like the additional choices as opposed to the fixed menus that never seem to change. And while we've had a few inopportune choices in the GDR, we've had them in the specialties as well.

TravelCat was very disappointed with the buffet ... as is her right, of course. We've had very good luck there, and if I ask for a dish I don't like I can always go back and get something else!

To each his own ...

Mura

Bear in mind that your ability to get extra reservations also can depend on just who is on the ship with you. By that I mean that if a majority of passengers want extra reservations, that can curtail your ability to get extras for yourself. A suite passenger has a better chance for more reservations than someone below the concierge level will. (And the butler can be a great help in that connection as well.)

If you're on a cruise with lots of passengers (like us!) who aren't that enamored of the specialty restaurants, then your chances are better as well.

As to people who condemn the GDR after one dinner, I just don't get it. We happen to prefer the GDR in general. NOT because the food is better than the specialties -- I wouldn't go that far. But we like the additional choices as opposed to the fixed menus that never seem to change. And while we've had a few inopportune choices in the GDR, we've had them in the specialties as well.

A

TravelCat was very disappointed with the buffet ... as is her right, of course. We've had very good luck there, and if I ask for a dish I don't like I can always go back and get something else!

To each his own ...

Mura

I agree with all of your points. Food is probably the most subjective aspect of a cruise. With Oceania, the choices are virtually endless. This is the area they are best known for and rightfully so. The specialties are wonderful for the first or second time. After that, the limited menu can lack appeal. The GDR has more choices and you can select whatever and how much you wish. If you want even a wider selection and would prefer a speedier dinner, the buffet is extraordinary. My only complaint with the GDR was the very lengthy breakfasts and lunches. Longer dinners are fine with me but nearly 2 hour breakfasts and lunches are not for us.

Judy,

Thanks for the general agreement! I will say that we've been having breakfasts and lunches in the GDR for the most part (on non-tour days) and we haven't encountered the long time frames you mentioned. Our recent cruises have been on MARINA although we're due to be on NAUTICA in June and SIRENA in October. So we'll see if that's a problem on the smaller ships.

(I'm sure you are aware that sometimes just telling the waiter you need to be out in a certain amount of time can speed up service.)

I have to admit that when we're having breakfast or lunch in the GDR, time is usually not a big consideration. OTOH, I can't remember a 2 hour meal -- at dinner, yes, that has happened. But we wouldn't be happy with a 2 hour breakfast either.

Mura

I agree with all of your points. Food is probably the most subjective aspect of a cruise. With Oceania, the choices are virtually endless. This is the area they are best known for and rightfully so. The specialties are wonderful for the first or second time. After that, the limited menu can lack appeal.

That is all true but it also depends on how often you cruise on O.

If you cruise every month then the same menu would be less appealing.

OTOH, if you cruise once or twice a year, it wouldn't matter as much.

I could have Jacques' foie gras or lobster Thermidor every week - never mind twice a year.

Ditto for many other of my favorites - 2 or 3 times a year is not too repetitive for me.

As always - YMMV :)

That is all true but it also depends on how often you cruise on O.

If you cruise every month then the same menu would be less appealing.

OTOH, if you cruise once or twice a year, it wouldn't matter as much.

I could have Jacques' foie gras or lobster Thermidor every week - never mind twice a year.

Ditto for many other of my favorites - 2 or 3 times a year is not too repetitive for me.

As always - YMMV :)

Agree - I could have Jacques' lobster Thermidor every week and never get tired of it.:D

Good points. We don't cruise that often these days -- so right now we have booked cruises with O in June, October and next April. But more recently we were doing one cruise a year. Sometimes it changes.

But having done a dozen cruises so far on O and 3 before that on Ren, we are very familiar with the specialty restaurant menus. Over the years there have been some changes (where is the smoked salmon appetizer that we used to get in Polo?) but pretty much the menus are still the same.

That doesn't mean that even with three cruises scheduled in a little less than a year that we would avoid the specialty restaurants. But 1 or 2 times per cruise is usually our max.

We've met people on cruises who refuse to use the GDR and if they can't get into a specialty, they'll go to Terrace. That works for them but doesn't for us ... we are happy with GDR and Terrace, so on those nights we check menus and see if we prefer one over the other.

Now if the "R" ships had Jacques rather than RG or Polo/Toscana, we'd probably try for more ...

Fortunately for all you RG lovers, we aren't!

Mura

then I changed to Oceania because of the dress code on Crystal and assigned seating. Then someone on CC encouraged me to try Crystal again with the dine by reservation. I was hesitant as I am one who will not eat in the GDR on Oceania. We did love the dining on Crystal and the service and they do make special requests which we enjoyed once. I particularly am a little dismayed at the changing of ports on O and the reduced port time. However, that being said we will be back on O in a few weeks.

All in all, I feel that it is a wash. Some things are better on Oceania and some are better on Crystal.

You will enjoy yourself and if you are in a suite, your butler will probably get you more specialty reservations. Just remember, there is no one cruise line that fits all.

Take the ride and enjoy it.

Good points. We don't cruise that often these days -- so right now we have booked cruises with O in June, October and next April. But more recently we were doing one cruise a year. Sometimes it changes.

But having done a dozen cruises so far on O and 3 before that on Ren, we are very familiar with the specialty restaurant menus. Over the years there have been some changes (where is the smoked salmon appetizer that we used to get in Polo?) but pretty much the menus are still the same.

That doesn't mean that even with three cruises scheduled in a little less than a year that we would avoid the specialty restaurants. But 1 or 2 times per cruise is usually our max.

We've met people on cruises who refuse to use the GDR and if they can't get into a specialty, they'll go to Terrace. That works for them but doesn't for us ... we are happy with GDR and Terrace, so on those nights we check menus and see if we prefer one over the other.

Now if the "R" ships had Jacques rather than RG or Polo/Toscana, we'd probably try for more ...

Fortunately for all you RG lovers, we aren't!

Mura

Sirena will have "Jaques' Bistro" in the MDR for lunch and Toscana will be merged with Polo as "Tuscan Steak." Red Ginger will be Red Ginger. If this works out, the other R ships may follow suit.

BTW, we just got off Marina and have changed our minds from the lackluster experience with that restaurant on Riviera this past summer. Our recent Red Ginger meals were spectacular.