Alcohol

grossguy

New cruiser here, just booked a cruise for June for the GF and I. Looking forward to it. Spending money on drinks all week seems a bit much so we will be trying rumrunners and shampbooze. Just a few questions. Are the rumrunners best to be packed in our checked luggage or carry on bags? How is it that they are not detected in the X-Ray? If the alcohol is found, what's the worst that could happen to us? Do they just confiscate it and let us go? Has anyone experienced anything other than just having the alcohol taken away?

If it's found, and it's in the original container, it will be held until the cruise is over. If it's in some other container, it will be thrown away.

They do reserve the right to not allow you to cruise, but I've NEVER heard of that happening. You will simply be called to the "naughty" room, where the stuff will be taken from you.

New cruiser here, just booked a cruise for June for the GF and I. Looking forward to it. Spending money on drinks all week seems a bit much so we will be trying rumrunners and shampbooze. Just a few questions. Are the rumrunners best to be packed in our checked luggage or carry on bags? How is it that they are not detected in the X-Ray? If the alcohol is found, what's the worst that could happen to us? Do they just confiscate it and let us go? Has anyone experienced anything other than just having the alcohol taken away?

Did you know this is probably the number one most frequently asked question on this board? Look for the search function in the upper right corner. Type in "rum runners" and you will pull up a gazillion threads with more redundant information then you could possibly need.

We always put the rumrunners in our checked luggage, with other liquids. Never had a problem. The X-ray machines cannot tell whether liquids are alcohol or shampoo, etc. However, they can tell the shape of a wine bottle.

The airport security X-ray will very likely pick up your booty in your carryons and confiscate it. At the very least you will be able to pour it out and keep the empty container. I wouldn't carry it on. I usually carry a plastic flask or two in my checked luggage. Never had a problem yet.

Spending money on drinks all week seems a bit much so we will be trying rumrunners and shampbooze.

First of all, welcome to cruising. I'm sure you will love it. :) Yes, there are literally thousands of threads on this subject. Please feel free to use the Search function - it works great.

Secondly, if your shampbooze does make it through, then I say with all seriousness that you deserve how it will taste. That's disgusting and I'm shocked that people even consider transporting alcohol in containers like that.

Could you not just budget for the drinks? Save money in another area and pay for your drinks? There is something to be said for honesty and dignity. :) Obviously, JMHO.

Best to you.

New cruiser here, just booked a cruise for June for the GF and I. Looking forward to it. Spending money on drinks all week seems a bit much so we will be trying rumrunners and shampbooze.

There are cruise lines that include all the booze you can drink in the price of the cruise. Of course these are the more expensive lines, but if you drink a lot they can turn out cheaper.

Before you commit to smuggling liquor on board, consider that for many people, perhaps not you, part of the fun of a cruise is meeting folks in the lounge at night over a cocktail; sitting on the lido deck before dinner with the people you went on an excursion with earlier that day and exchanging photos, over a few drinks.

Do you really want to be drinking your lukewarm beer out of a sippy cup?

Most cruise lines allow you to purchase drink cards, often at a discount so you pay up front, and don't have to think of the cost of the drinks at the time. Then you can join in socializing without looking like ... well without looking out of place.

Of course if you do your drinking alone in your cabin, this doesn't apply.

Before you commit to smuggling liquor on board, consider that for many people, perhaps not you, part of the fun of a cruise is meeting folks in the lounge at night over a cocktail; sitting on the lido deck before dinner with the people you went on an excursion with earlier that day and exchanging photos

Just because you bring some with you does not mean you cannot do that. I still socialize in the bars at night although I have my own supply for drinks before dinner in the cabin and afternoon cocktails.

• 7 months later...

Secondly, if your shampbooze does make it through, then I say with all seriousness that you deserve how it will taste. That's disgusting and I'm shocked that people even consider transporting alcohol in containers like that.

Shampbooze is a brand (like Rum Runners) of EMPTY shampoo bottles with legit looking labels that you buy to put your alcohol in. They re made of food grade plastic which means they leave no taste or smell when cleaned.

If they catch you, they will taunt you.

It's kind of childish of them but it does break up a humdrum job for them.

Booze in other than original unsealed containers will not be returned, nor will the containers.

Drinking on the ship isn't particularly more expensive than at a bar or restaurant on shore.

Trying to find where I read that Disney allows passengers to bring "quantities" of booze on.

There was a STACK of shampooze confiscated on our last ship, and a hot topic at the comedy show

Two times now I have bought specialty liquor for gifts in ports, showed it to security, the lines to check it in were long, so I just tossed it into my beach bag and walked on to the elevators and suite.....

You mean people actually sneak alcohol into cleaned out shampoo bottles? I come on here from time to time for quite a while now, and I think this is the first time I've connected the dots. Thought that was code for sneaking bottles along side other liquid bottles, not INSIDE other liquid bottles.

But I have to say that those booze bills can ad up quickly. I can see the motivation of some peeps.

I'm not above taking my own alcohol onboard although we were on Holland this summer and we're able to order a bottle of vodka that was waiting in our cabin when we arrived for about 25 bucks, through Holland. Really not worth the hassle of trying to sneak it on for that price.

I was called to the naughty room on both Celebrity and RCI because they found my extension cord for my mobility scooter ---- those lines don't allow extension cords. Anyway, I could not believe the number of rum runners, booze bottles and those shampooze containers all sitting on tables. Believe me, security people know all the tricks for smuggling booze on board and they know exactly what to look for.

OP, if you're going to smuggle, don't put it in your carry on. If you're flying, airport TSA agents will take it and if you're not flying to the port, the security agents at the cruise terminal will take it---you have a security check and an airport-like scanner in the cruise terminal. Remember, every piece of luggage is Xray'd before it's put on the ship.

So, can someone tell me how some of the methods smuggling booze would work? I mean, I understand that you can buy smuggle bottles to get the alcohol on board, but then what do you use for mixers? Do you drink straight shots? If you are at a bar and you are carrying your flask, do you buy the mixer (Coke, etc) and then sneak a shot in it to spike the drink, or go all the way back to your cabin to mix a drink? You're still paying for the glass of the mixer at the bar. Seems too much effort.

Luckily, I have never been in a position that paying for what I drink has ever been a problem, but I do agree that drinks can be one of the most expensive items on a cruise, if drinking is your thing (it is mine on vacation!).

Good luck with your venture. I hope you do not get caught and your have a great cruise.

Grossguy -- your profile indicates that you are from NY, but doesn't say what part. Drinking on ship can be way cheaper than drinking in NYC. ;)

You can often bring wine on board & pay a corkage fee depending on the rules of your cruiseline.

Depending on which line you are sailing on, you may be able to buy a punch card, a beverage package, or a bottle for the room. It will cost more than BYOB, but much easier!

My last cruise, every one of our bags was searched by security before being delivered. We know, because they left us notes. They even checked the seals on some of our bottles! We had brand new tubes and bottles of some personal items, and they still had the foil seals. We knew they checked the seals because of the condition of the boxes.

Point being, I wouldn't bother, easier to just pay to play.

If you can afford the costs of the cruise, you can afford the drinks.

And don't forget about the gratituties! Your agent explained that one, right? The service charge each day?

Grossguy -- your profile indicates that you are from NY, but doesn't say what part. Drinking on ship can be way cheaper than drinking in NYC. ;)

You can often bring wine on board & pay a corkage fee depending on the rules of your cruiseline.

very good point, since traveling to NYC and crusing are our 2 main vacation, some lines such as HAL allow unlimited wine, brought over a case on several cruises ( also will sneak in a bottle of cognac or 2 and have never been caught)

Archived