Fans Necessary?

Hi All! Relatively new to cruising, but reading all these "what to pack" posts that suggest bringing a small fan. Is that really a necessity? I definitely do not like to be hot in my room, so will bring one if I really can't control temp. Any other "can't live without" items I should know about?

Hi All! Relatively new to cruising, but reading all these "what to pack" posts that suggest bringing a small fan. Is that really a necessity? I definitely do not like to be hot in my room, so will bring one if I really can't control temp. Any other "can't live without" items I should know about?

Fans are not needed and may be confiscated.

There's nothing that you absolutely must bring that you wouldn't bring on any other vacation. I bring a fan because I sleep with a fan on. It has nothing to do with controlling the temperature. If you don't always sleep with a fan, then don't worry about it. And, seriously, the packing lists usually contain a ton of stuff you would probably never use.

We were on the Independence of the seas with royal Caribbean and I normally sleep with a fan but found the air conditioning really good I wasn't uncomfortable even in the middle of July. If you need the sound there are apps you can get for your phone coz my daughter had an app to help the baby sleep and that had a fan sound on it. It was called WHITE NOISE BABY. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Independence of the seas with royal Caribbean and I normally sleep with a fan but found the air conditioning really good I wasn't uncomfortable even in the middle of July. If you need the sound there are apps you can get for your phone coz my daughter had an app to help the baby sleep and that had a fan sound on it. It was called WHITE NOISE BABY. Hope this helps

People often suggest that, and I've tried it, but it just doesn't work for me. I have to have a fan. I'm sure it's psychological, but it is what it is. :)

I not only don't take a fan, but I don't take most of the "must have" things on those lists.

I have never felt the need for an over the door shoe holder (that people seem to use for everything BUT shoes). Nor do I take a pop up hamper. I bring a big Ziplock bag and keep it in one of the suitcases under the bed.

I've never needed extra hangers, or my own pillow. We don't drink soda so I don't bring that. I DO bring my bottle of wine [emoji16]

I do bring Boca clips for my towel. They are so cute and it's windy on deck.

I do bring magnetic clips so I can organize all the paperwork that appears every day.

I do bring a separate camera from my phone and I bring a thin (Ultrabook) laptop so I can copy all my pics over and have a backup.

I always have a small flashlight no matter where I'm going and I do bring my own body wash, shampoo and cream rinse because I have allergies.

Hope that helps you with those packing lists. Enjoy your cruise!

i too never take all the "junk" people seem to think necessary. but we are organized people by nature, so we never find our cabin messy.

i do bring a small travel alarm clock. while we utilize wake up calls, it drives me absolutely batty to wake up in the middle of the night and not know what time it is. i also do like a yankee candle car jar or fragrance sphere for the bathroom.

we bring a laundry bag that stows easily enough at the bottom of the closet or next to the bed.

i too never take all the "junk" people seem to think necessary. but we are organized people by nature, so we never find our cabin messy.

i do bring a small travel alarm clock. while we utilize wake up calls, it drives me absolutely batty to wake up in the middle of the night and not know what time it is. i also do like a yankee candle car jar or fragrance sphere for the bathroom.

we bring a laundry bag that stows easily enough at the bottom of the closet or next to the bed.

Would agree that some overthing this stuff.

Our suitcases all have those plastic hotel laundry bags in them for dirty clothes. Never seen a need for over the door organizers. Our iphones serve as alarm clocks-middle of the night clocks. Candle/fragrance is good - assuming folks do not LIGHT them.

Last two cruises, with extended stays were one carryon each.

If you need a fan, bring a small one that generates sufficient noise for you. If I have room in my luggage I will bring the fan, otherwise I just use a fan app on my phone. Not as good, but when space and/or checked baggage (if flying) is a consideration, the app works ok.

When the heat or air quits running in the cabin at night, I can't sleep for the silence. Before we get in bed on the ship, I change the fan setting on the thermostat to "fan on",that way the fan stays on and there's always some noise and movement of air. Don't tell anyone.

Take those lists with a grain of salt. I mean, do you REALLY need a clothes hamper on vacation?

Hubby and I have been cruising for years - yes, we do need a hamper to put our dirty clothes in. We line the hamper with a tall kitchen bag. Once the hamper is full, we tie up the bag and put it in our suitcase. Then we line the hamper with another tall kitchen bag. Easy.

You won't need a fan for temperature control....but I have hot flashes, and I NEED the intense air flow at night, so I bring a small 5 in. desk fan. If you don't have this issue, then you won't need a fan.

Once the hamper is full, we tie up the bag and put it in our suitcase. Then we line the hamper with another tall kitchen bag.

This is what I don't understand... why not skip the hamper and just put the dirty clothes in the bag? That is easy.

This isn't really for the cabin, per se, but I ALWAYS bring a little personal fan with me when I travel. The ones that take two 'A' batteries. That little gem has been a godsend on numerous occasions. Like when your plane is stuck on the tarmac with no electricity, or the cruise check-in line is 1000+ people deep, or the muster drill is overly crammed and delayed, or the tour bus has no AC. Share one of these peeps around you and you'll be friends for life. ;p

Unless you are driving to the port in your own custom travel trailer - skip taking the kitchen sink with you and

incurring outrageous airline excess over weight piece count baggage charges !

Do some reading here on how CC members get by with the backpack bare essentials to living at sea for a few days.

Think along the mode of Robinson Crusoe making do with what is available !

If you get hit by the airlines with excess overweight baggage - think that those charges could have done a boat load of laundry.

There is an exercise room and spa on the ship - why resort to using those muscles in lugging a set of weights on board and OFF too !

You don't need a change of clothing for each lap you do on the promenade deck !

Since NCL is FreeStyle Cruising you can skip the tux cumberbums ballroom dresses and cocktail etc. etc. etc. !

Hubby and I have been cruising for years - yes, we do need a hamper to put our dirty clothes in. We line the hamper with a tall kitchen bag. Once the hamper is full, we tie up the bag and put it in our suitcase. Then we line the hamper with another tall kitchen bag. Easy.

This is what I don't understand... why not skip the hamper and just put the dirty clothes in the bag? That is easy.

Exactly. The above post is an example of why you DON'T need a hamper. Put the clothes right in the bag. How hard is that?