A Few Dining Comment...

djhsolara

Question for those Mariners not going to the luncheon - Do you still get a tile?

You are entitled to a tile, but you will probably have to initiate getting it.

If the tiles are given out at the luncheon (usually they are), you can go by the dining room when people start to leave, and ask for yours. Or, you can stop at the Front Desk and ask for one. If they don't have them to hand out at the time, they will see that one is sent to your cabin.

What is dine around? Is it a set price to go to multiple specialty restaurants?

It was part of a promotion they offered last year. "Anniversary promotion" I believe they called it. We will receive dinner at the 3 specialty restaurants during our cruise. The positive- no additional cost to us. The negative- they will choose the date & time.

It was part of a promotion they offered last year. "Anniversary promotion" I believe they called it. We will receive dinner at the 3 specialty restaurants during our cruise. The positive- no additional cost to us. The negative- they will choose the date & time.

However, you can change your date and time just by going to the reservations stand.

However, you can change your date and time just by going to the reservations stand.

The problem is, there are so many people with promotions that include specialty restaurants, often the vast majority of reservations are already assigned before embarkation.

Recently, on the Prinsendam, my traveling companion and I were entitled to 3 Pinnacle Grills dinners. My fault, we waited to long after starting the cruise to attempt to make the 3 reservations. When it appeared that the third dinner could not be used, I asked the Manager if it would be possible to change that dinner to a PG lunch. At the time I asked, the remainder of the lunch reservation slots were taken. But, he said he would let me know if there was an opening. There was! And, our lunch was as good, if not better, than our previous 2 dinners.

The problem is, there are so many people with promotions that include specialty restaurants, often the vast majority of reservations are already assigned before embarkation.

In our advantage, we're early diners so the 5:30 slots were open whenever we wanted them at whatever location.

• 5 months later...
The stations are still there for you to use when desired.

I bring my own coffee mug and was able to fix it myself as I headed in to breakfast.

Good to know that the stations are still there, but your comment about the coffee mug has me a bit confused. Do they not have mugs/glasses available at the stations any longer?

Good to know that the stations are still there, but your comment about the coffee mug has me a bit confused. Do they not have mugs/glasses available at the stations any longer?

HAL furnishes coffee mugs for the hot drinks, and glassware for cold drinks.

I pack a large thermal coffee mug and bring it with me when I cruise. though. It holds two cups of coffee, so I don't have to return for the second cup. I can hold it without spilling as I ride along on my scooter. The coffee stays hot while I get my breakfast. And it doesn't take up any room in the suitcase, since I can pack breakables in it for safekeeping.

HAL furnishes coffee mugs for the hot drinks, and glassware for cold drinks.

I pack a large thermal coffee mug and bring it with me when I cruise. though. It holds two cups of coffee, so I don't have to return for the second cup. I can hold it without spilling as I ride along on my scooter. The coffee stays hot while I get my breakfast. And it doesn't take up any room in the suitcase, since I can pack breakables in it for safekeeping.

Great idea, Ruth! Thanks for the info.

Just back from 14 days on the Koningsdam. Although we were on traditional main seating (8p.m.) we were seated in Anytime Dining. One of the reasons we choose traditional is because it is not chaotic, as noisy and service seems to be better. We were disappointed in the quality of service (clearing plates before everyone had finished eating, not having all entrees served at once (happened twice), table not completely cleared before dessert is served, server not checking to see if anything was needed/food o.k. I believe this is partly due to less emphasis by table captains on maintaining excellent level of service that was the norm several years ago, less staffing, and being mixed in with Anytime Dining. Right after disembarking the K we then traveled home on the QM2. The level of service in their dining room was impeccable and superb which further contrasted our experience on the K.

• 4 months later...

We just returned yesterday from a 7 night Caribbean cruise on Eurodam. We cruise frequently, but infrequently on HAL. Overall, I enjoy larger ships with more activities, but we chose this cruise primarily for the itinerary, which was excellent for our needs. I thought the food was fine with the exception of the MDR for dinner. Service was slow and the food was average at best with a couple of really bad entrees.

I had the toughest lamb I have ever eaten and another night the beef short ribs were just plain terrible. On the other hand, we had lobster and filet that was surprisingly good and prime rib on the last night that was also tasty. I would go to the speciality restaurants if they didn't serve so much food, but we are light eaters and neither of us can eat that much, so it seems to be a waste to go. Unlike upscale restaurants at home where we can split an entree or take left overs home, the speciality restaurants simply serve too much food for us.

I like the option that RCI offers where the better quality steak or lobster can be purchased in the MDR without all of the extras.

We just returned from a week on the NA.

We thought overall that the food on this cruise was about the best after many years of cruising on many lines.

We ate at Pinnacle twice..Tamarind twice and Canaletto 3 times all for dinner. We avoid any ship's MDR whenever possible.

Surprisingly, although on virtually any previous ship we always avoid buffets, the Lido Market was one of the more acceptable ones we have ever encountered...all lunches. They had a good variety of Asian foods that differed daily. Service was quite good and most important, the venue was very civilized, unlike the larger ships with younger passengers.

For us, BB King was the absolute highlight.This group is filled with top musicians who have more energy that can be believed. Their performances were outstanding and we went to at least 2 sets every night.

Not to be missed was the Adagio duo. The Piano and Violin players are from the Ukraine and have advanced degrees from the Russian music colleges. Again, we attended 2 sets every night. Some wonderful music came forth.

Shows...first nite a pretty funny comic...another night tried the comedy juggler...not for us.. Standard house singers and dancers...also not for us on any ship.

We did book a Retreat Cabana and this worked out very well. The two young attendants couldn't do enough for us. Ran all over the ship's dining areas to get whatever we wanted. They had to go this route as the Cabana area had no food prep or storage facilities.

We had a Signature Suite and ours was one of the better cabins we experienced on most every other ship. Good layout and enough storage space for far longer than a one week cruise. Our cabin attendants were right out of the service handbook. Met them once and maybe passed them in the hall, but never saw or needed them again...everything was personalized from day one and we always got the finished product. Doesn't happen too often. Also noticed for the first time ever, that we never saw a housekeeping cart standing in any of the corridors. Don't know how they managed to do what they do while keeping all the supplies out of sight.

The front desk staff was very nice. I don't know who designed their billing format..certainly not anyone with time and motion smarts, as we and many others stood in line a number of times in order to try to solve the billing mystery. Then they have another ATM like machine that when swiping your card, prints out your current running bill...however it is different that what the front desk prints out and they say even they don't understand why.

Embarkation and disembarkation was smooth both ways. Only the typical understaffed customs lines in the terminal....but because there was really only a perfunctory passport check, it went rather well.

HAL did a good job for us.

Eight members of my family cruised R/T Alaska on the Volendam, June 2016.

Exactly one of MDR's dinner choices was inedible, a beef dish that while tasty was too tough for false teeth. We all ate at the Canaletto (our first time in 5 HAL cruises) and LOVED it. One thing was, with eight of us we ordered one of almost every entree!

Previously, I could never see why you would pay for upcharge dining when you have the choice of buffet or served dinner. Now, Canaletto is something we must do on every HAL cruise!

I don't go by authentic Italian but whether a dish is flavorful and enjoyed.

The Prinsendam still had the panini press and the made to order sandwich station. Interestingly, the sandwich man was not as busy on this ship as on others on which I have sailed.

I do agree that the pre-made packaged sandwiches were very good, all that I tried. I believe there were at least 4 varieties each day.

On the Zuiderdam this month -

** Prepared sandwiches had good variety but the bottom bread can get soggy or can be dried out. (we had one most days so we have "experience" with them) :D

** Next to the ready-mades was a station where the lady made sandwiches to order with a limited assortment of "stuff". She'll also make you a sandwich from the "carved meat of the day"

** No panini press but if you ask they'll put your made to order sandwich on the grill.

I can respond - since I was just off the zuiderdam.

They have several celebrity chefs who have created special items on the menu. Each night, a different chef is featured. One or two appetizers, one or two entrees and one or two deserts were "created" by the celebrity chef. Other items are also offered.

On our last night, they kind of had an "all-star" menu where the menu included one item from each of the celebrity chefs. . (in additional, they always have the standard steak or chicken or salmon each night)

I did not find this menu any more "disjointed" than any other night. On no night is there a theme to the menu, just a variety.

Here is the menu from the final night on the Zuiderdam Feb 4:

Pappardelle with Veal Ragout

Black Sesame Jumbo Shrimp Salad

Rainbow trout

Prime Rib

Lamb Shank

Quail with Pumpkin Tofu

Vegetable curry with rice

Same exact items offered on last evening in the lido buffet on the Eurodam in Nov and Dec.

Rainbow Trout was small, but very good.