What are the best walking shoes and sandals to wear?

ken_nyc

I need the help from all of you experienced western european cruises.

Been having this debate with my DW that she should not be wearing regular sandals walking around the uneven cobblestone streets in Spain and Italy because you can badly sprain or break an ankle.

What are the suggestions from all of you for men and women foot wear?

Thank you in advance!

I LIVE in flip flops (or golf shoes lol!) but knew that that wasn't going to work in Europe. I have two different pairs of shoes that I wear. A sneaker for those days that are go-go-go and lots of stairs will be climbed (Skechers-black and soooo comfy!) and a pair of Taos sandals for the easier walking days. The sandals also work for dinner and don't look too ugly or orthopedic.

I need the help from all of you experienced western european cruises.

Been having this debate with my DW that she should not be wearing regular sandals walking around the uneven cobblestone streets in Spain and Italy because you can badly sprain or break an ankle.

What are the suggestions from all of you for men and women foot wear?

Thank you in advance!

My wife has walked Rome, Naples, Pompeii and many other Mediterranean stops in 'Fit Flops', the ones with a toe post only. We saw many older walkers in Ephesus in all sorts of footwear, from flip flops to hiking shoes, just need support and be careful where you step. I wear mens 'Fit Flops', full sandals but a revelation to me.

We have no connection to 'Fit Flops'!

The best shoes are the ones that are comfortable and supportive for your particular feet -- that's why it's difficult to name a brand.

Having said that, I travel to Europe probably 3 times a year and do a LOT of walking when I'm there -- both in the cities and around ruins/archaeological sites.

The "best" shoes for most people have a firm sole -- one that isn't too soft and doesn't bend too much. That keeps you from getting "footsore" walking on either the cobblestone-type streets and sidewalks in the cities or when you're walking along paths that may be rocky and uneven at sites. I have tried the Skechers Go Walk shoes, and they really do not have a stiff enough sole to stop that from happening.

Also, I would only recommend sandals that are really supportive and that cover a fair amount of the foot. Twice I have stubbed my toe hard enough to lose a toenail walking in European cities. And aside from that, the streets are generally none too clean.... There is a website I found once with an amusing description from an American girl studying in Rome. She said the Romans had a name for all the tourists who came to the city wearing sandals or flip flops -- it was the Italian equivalent of "black feet". :eek:

I have three times worn Bernie Mev shoes to greece. They have somewhat stretchy woven uppers so my bunions did not hurt. The bottoms of the ones I wear have thick rubbery soles which were great walking around the stones etc. on the acropolis. They also (I think) look terrific.

I agree with cruisemom42, "The best shoes are the ones that are comfortable and supportive for your particular feet -- that's why it's difficult to name a brand."

A firm sole is very important.

I can tell you that I like to shop at The Walking Company. They have lots to choose from (sandals, clogs, athletic, etc.) and one of the best features in their store is the simulated cobblestone floor. You can try on shoes and walk on the cobblestone surface to get an idea of how it feels. Maybe there is a location near you.

I have tried many name brands; Mephisto, Clark, Ecco, Cobb Hill, Pikolinos, Merrell, etc.

I am a huge fan of Fit Flops, too. My feet get really hot walking around Rome, Pompeii, Ephesus, etc. (I can easily manage walking on uneven surfaces with my Fit Flops, but not everyone can.) You have to wear what is most comfortable and supportive for you.

Another helpful tip: I typically change shoes in the middle of the day (when I can, if the hotel is convenient) and that really helps with tired feet.

Have fun and enjoy walking around Italy and Spain!

I highly recommend the Ken Rose sandal - comfortable, great support, lets foot breath with coverage though and can be washed in washing machine and air dry. I had a spinal fusion five years ago so have to be careful with footwear. Each trip to Europe these have been my go to walking shoes. Great on the cobblestone and especially in warm weather. I buy through Amazon - here is a link to see the style:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008J4S9S4/ref=twister_B008JE8WUY

Hope that helps. Make sure to give yourselves plenty of time to break in whatever shoes/sandals you will be taking. Last thing you want is blisters!

Edited by 2specialkidsforme

I'll put in my $.02 for Jambu sandals. Enough cute styles and rugged styles to find something. I'm using my 5-year old Jambu sandals right now on my vacation in Puerto Rico. They are my go to shoe when I go to Europe, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have walked all over Europe (and US) in Bernie Mevs and Birkenstocks. I also have a very light pair of walking shoes/sneakers from Easy Spirit that I bring to work out in or if we are on particularly rocky terrain. I dont love how they look as much as the Mevs, but they are sturdier for more of a hike than a stroll

I have three times worn Bernie Mev shoes to greece. They have somewhat stretchy woven uppers so my bunions did not hurt. The bottoms of the ones I wear have thick rubbery soles which were great walking around the stones etc. on the acropolis. They also (I think) look terrific.

Bernie Mev are THE best, LOVE them! I have a few pairs.

Looking forward to our first visit to Italy, spending 3 days in Venice before 10-day cruise. I cannot tell you how relieved I was to read that FitFlops are a viable choice, from those of you who have worn them over the cobblestones!

I wear them all the time and really didn't want to think about touring in anything else.

I'm currently dealing with a severely torn post-tib tendon so I need to wear a brace and orthotics. I've been clunking around in New Balance sneakers, but after reading this thread, I just ordered two pairs of Bernie Mevs (Catwalk and Victoria) - hoping I have success with them!

I think they'll look better than sneakers in the office - just hope they're comfortable and supportive. :)