Northeast Blizzard

navybankerteacher

Have had the same thought. If I still lived there, I'd drive to Raleigh, NC to get a plane as They're not getting much, if any, snow!

Just got off the Sunshine and saw, at our 1st port, 1st day, Nassau, 50+ people with suitcases getting on the ship. For some reason their flight(s) prevented them from getting on the ship before we left. They had to fly into Orlando. The ship didn't wait but arranged for all to take the flight to Nassau to get on the ship. They got on and we waited for them to do this, didn't leave on time.

Anyone effected by this snow, let us know what you did.

Logan, BOS, will close to incoming flights as of 7:PM tonight. Obviously, no flights will be heading out either. Operations will resume [slowly] on Wednesday as runways are cleared and planes can fly in to the airport.

Not looking forward to this weather event.

Darcy

I hope that people from the Northeast embarking Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday are already en route or at their ports.

Just watched the weather -- yikes! :eek: Hopefully the storm (and the clean-up) will just be a bad memory by this weekend -- when lots of folks travel to their cruise-ports.

I'm dealing with getting back to the Northeast -.finishing our stay on St. Maarten tomorrow -- it looks like we'll get to Miami OK, but leg to JFK has been cancelled. Booked one of the last rooms at Miami airport motel for Tuesday night --- will have to see what develops.

Too bad you can't stay in St Maarten for a couple of extra days. Sounds like it will be an adventure to make it back. Safe travels!

Edited by sparks1093

It is just starting to fall in the Hudson Valley.

One year, the cruise before us was delayed coming up the coast to Bayonne (they followed the storm). We were not notified and sat in Bayonne waiting. We finally left NJ at midnight.

Aside from port changes on a couple of occasions, never had a weather problem.

Anyone ever had a bad experience?

I'm dealing with getting back to the Northeast -.finishing our stay on St. Maarten tomorrow -- it looks like we'll get to Miami OK, but leg to JFK has been cancelled. Booked one of the last rooms at Miami airport motel for Tuesday night --- will have to see what develops.

Happy you were able to secure a hotel room and hope you get a flight reasonably soon. I just heard on the news that over 5,000 flights to northeast have been canceled for today and tomorrow.

Travel safely.

Happy you were able to secure a hotel room and hope you get a flight reasonably soon. I just heard on the news that over 5,000 flights to northeast have been canceled for today and tomorrow.

Travel safely.

Thanks - Miami airport is likely to be a horror show. AA reservations can say nothing at this time about resuming flights. I'd have preferred to extend stay on St. Maarten, but can make lemonade anywhere that snow does not fall.

I wish the best for everyone in the northeast, including my own son (Boston). Be safe, everyone! An additional thought is that I'm not sure 1 day prior to a cruise is enough for me anymore. If we were planning to leave tomorrow to sail Wednesday we would be out of luck. Thankfully, we aren't sailing until March 6th, but certainly it could happen any time during the winter months.

Guest maddycat
I wish the best for everyone in the northeast, including my own son (Boston). Be safe, everyone! An additional thought is that I'm not sure 1 day prior to a cruise is enough for me anymore. If we were planning to leave tomorrow to sail Wednesday we would be out of luck. Thankfully, we aren't sailing until March 6th, but certainly it could happen any time during the winter months.

Another good reason to buy travel insurance.

They have already announced no flights in or out of Logan until mid to late day Wednesday. NY airports likely will be about the same. It will be days until they sort it all out.

Some International flights are scheduled to leave still tonight

This blizzard is pretty mean. The wind has really picked up and now the snow is blowing sideways. 30" on top of the 6" we got Friday night is not going to be fun.

My office is closed tmrw thankfully.

State of emergency in ny, nj and ct.

5,800 flights cancelled.

No ships at Manhattan Cruise Terminal until Breakaway on the 30th. I hope the pax onboard the 12 nighter that parked at the pier have shovels in the trunks of their cars!

Stay safe everyone. 50+ mph winds for tmrw. Snow will be coming down at a rate of 2-4" an hour :(

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Here's the takeaway....if a weather event is coming, see if you can get ahead of the event and leave before it happens. Airlines are very happy to get you out early because it won't then have to deal with you later.

The other takeaway....don't be fussy. If you have to split up a couple, better to split and be on your way than sitting together waiting for two seats. It is ALWAYS easier to get one seat than two. Or four. Or whatever. Flexibility is the key.

Finally, don't wait for the airline. Be proactive, research your options and utilize their website/mobile app to get alternatives booked.

Here's the takeaway....if a weather event is coming, see if you can get ahead of the event and leave before it happens. Airlines are very happy to get you out early because it won't then have to deal with you later.

The other takeaway....don't be fussy. If you have to split up a couple, better to split and be on your way than sitting together waiting for two seats. It is ALWAYS easier to get one seat than two. Or four. Or whatever. Flexibility is the key.

Finally, don't wait for the airline. Be proactive, research your options and utilize their website/mobile app to get alternatives booked.

Very good advice,,,,,, all of it.

Well your ideas didn't work for us last year when we missed a cruise.

Our cruise was scheduled to start on a Sunday. We were scheduled to fly to Tampa on Thursday via Atlanta -- no direct flights from Pittsburgh. The massive snow storm started on Monday evening and the airports closed down on Tuesday. Then the storm stalled and the airports didn't open until late Friday afternoon. The soonest Delta could get us out would have been late Monday night or Tuesday.

Thankfully we had insurance and refundable airline tickets.