OK to book with internet travel agency?

tbmrt

I am ready to book a cruise with an internet cruise company (not one of the larger ones!). Prices was better than others and reviews, although not that many, were good.

In the past I've done this and it worked out fine. However, going with someone new is always worrisome to me.

Should I be concerned? Ways to check these agencies out?

Thanks

We have been on 15 cruises, booked with a TA on the first one, but all others have been booked throught an internet agency or a large warehouse type club that also has a travel agency. We have been very satisfied with the internet agencies and the warehouse club travel agency. We do extensive review on the cc website about the ship, cabins and so forth and review information on these message boards about the ship before calling the agency to make the actual booking. We usually know what cabin we want but we can ask questions about the location, any issues they see, and benefit from their advice.

I am ready to book a cruise with an internet cruise company (not one of the larger ones!). Prices was better than others and reviews, although not that many, were good.

In the past I've done this and it worked out fine. However, going with someone new is always worrisome to me.

Thanks

Read/know the fine print especially as far as price drops & cancellations.

Check out Conde Nast Traveler's "best of" travel lists. Some address TAs including rating them based on type of travel or geography. We found one of the two we use that way. They have a website but also two "brick and mortar" locations (Seattle and northern CA).

In addition to checking any TA's "small print," find out if they are a top producer for the line(s) you're looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Certain internet travel agents (even small ones) do bulk business with certain cruise lines and pass that on to customers. We used one this summer and I would use her again for Princess. I never met her, but have spoken with her on the phone a couple of times. My only advice would be to use one who's been recommended by others.

I did a booking with one. They tried to sneak an extra $300 through on the invoice, which- surprise!- was exactly what my regular agent had quoted. Then the replacement agent on my file was never at her desk during her published hours.

Gave them another try- first quote "no availability" when I tried to book. ?????? Next quote "Um, I think that includes taxes". You THINK it's a valid quote? And if I add taxes - surprise!- it's just about what my regular agent quoted.

I won't be dealing with them again. Sometimes my regular agent is a bit higher, but sometimes, he also finds me group space, on average it works out, and I don't have to watch like a hawk.

I was told by one couple recently, the Internet agent they were dealing with instead of saying "I don't know, if it's important to you I'll find out before I take the booking", had given them completely wrong information, anything they wanted to hear to to get their credit card number. They had no idea what jurisdiction the agent was located in and what consumer protection they had..

Edited by Dancer Bob

We have booked with the same on line TA for about eight years.

Great service, great OBC's. My business travel TA was bricks and mortar about six miles from my office. Never did see her office. Did it all by phone and email so. B&M agency only means restricted access hours to me. We can call our internet agency at unsocial hours, across time zones an the knowledge that someone will answer.

We do have to monitor our own price drops. Always pay with a credit card, with the fare billed by the cruise line. Deal with a TA that does not charge for repricing ( when the fare drops), cabin changes, or cancellations (other than cruise line fees) and you should be fine.

The only advice we can offer the OP is go with your gut :). We have probably booked around 100 cruises and all but 2 were booked with various online cruise agencies. We simply shop around (among our own little group of favored agencies) for the best deal. A few years ago we discovered that certain agencies seem to have special relations with specific cruise lines that allow them to offer some great deals. Since we have never found a single agency that has the best deals for all cruise lines (and we have cruised on 14 lines) we use several agencies (our list can change over time). We often learn of decent agencies when we are on cruises and chat with other folks.

The savings from shopping around can be pretty amazing on longer cruises. We have actually saved over $3000 on a single booking by just a few additional clicks of the mouse.

Hank

I would also make sure the whole TA fits with what you want and your schedule. The TA I booked with in the past changed their hours at some point between my last cruise and the one I just booked. Now they are open a lot more limited hours where I can call if I need something or have a question. It might not be to some, but a service agency I can only call between 10am - 6pm just isn't for me.

I got a great quote for our upcoming cruise was lower than any others. Offered with tax, a 2 category higher room for cheaper than an obstructed balcony anywhere else. Turned out, it was a group booking that didn't qualify for any current offers, and you didn't get the group booking "perks" for it either. Also with cases like these you need to make sure what rate it really is so that you know what your can do with the booking with price drops and changes.

I actually prefer the bigger companies myself. But only if they are the ones that help each other out! I found out I was already "assigned" to a TA at the new TA I used yesterday. It was because 8 years ago, my mother paid for a cruise for everyone and used them. He was busy, so one of the other women there did all the booking for me, but he got credit. Needed to call in again and he was on the phone. The girl who answered that time happily answered the few questions I had.

Thanks

If the reviews are not good. Then avoid. I always book with the Cruise line directly and never had an issue. As I know that if something happens and the ship leaves without me. The company will get me to the next port of call.

I found my primary TA through a website that lets different cruise agencies quote for a particular cruise. I liked his service, so I've used him several times since and referred him to friends.

One or two bad reviews can be overlooked. If there are tons of them, then I'd pick another agency.