Is Royal comfortable with the buy one get one 50%

I was wondering if royal Caribbean feels comfortable with this sale even after it was extended. I know that some people booked 2015- 2016 with the sale and are super happy because it's a deal ( not for others ). But what will happen if royal starts getting massive cancelations before final payment ?

I made 5 reservations for 2015 on which I'm only planning to sail in 1 of those 5. I'm just watching the prices and will pick the date before final payment. As a result, royal will have to fill those reservation before sailing.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I fully expect to read on here in the future that people are cancelling once this sale ends. You can't combine it with residence rates, senior, military, etc which I think is a huge red flag.

My guess is there will be lots of cancellations. It was never a sale for us. We had booked our cruise (Allure 8/31) back in January. When the sail started, our JS jumped up from 1677 pp to around 2200 pp. I look for the prices to go back down once this ends. We did not book any future cruises because of it and we were not looking to book at prime time either.

Time will tell...

:p

Edited by Esmerelda

I fully expect to read on here in the future that people are cancelling once this sale ends. You can't combine it with residence rates, senior, military, etc which I think is a huge red flag.

My guess is there will be lots of cancellations. It was never a sale for us. We had booked our cruise (Allure 8/31) back in January. When the sail started, our JS jumped up from 1677 pp to around 2200 pp. I look for the prices to go back down once this ends. We did not book any future cruises because of it and we were not looking to book at prime time either.

Time will tell...

:p

Of course you can. If a Sr, resident, or other rate comes available (before final) that is less than the BOGHO rate, you can certainly get the new rate. You should comparing bottom line, nothing else

We will not be cancelling unless for an emergency because we saved much more than we ever could any other way. We are saving $900 on our JS on Vision next Nov. It will be the lowest price we have ever paid for a JS. I also don't understand why people are complaining. Every cruise we looked at we'd save more than we could any other way and DH is over 55 and eligible for military rates, yet these BOGOHO rates are lower for us.

I think a lot of people will find that they can't beat the deal and we booked before the sale and got the sale applied so I know for a fact how much we saved.

The ability to not combine some rates is nothing new. And, obviously if you find a better rate, you can rebook at that rate before final payment. So, what actually is the OP's issue?

Edited by BND

I think Bob is correct that RCCL is happy to get the quick fix of cash from the deposits.

Also, this sale is pulling in a lot of new cruisers [or new to Royal Caribbean]. The average cruiser does not book 5 cruises knowing they will only go on 1. The ships in 2015-2016 are getting full. I noted for some there are no suites at all for individual sailings in 2015. :eek: Most people will book a cruise and take it. :D

And,to answer OP's "question" with a question, why would they offer it if they weren't "comfortable" with it? Whatever that means lol.

Edited by BND

I don't understand your reasoning......why book 5 cruises when you only plan on taking one? Doesn't make sense to me. Or is this a joke?

Gwen :)

Doesn't make sense to me either. Now I can see taking advantage of the sale to book a cruise that you aren't yet sure about but booking 4 cruises you already know you won't be taking is odd. What's the point of booking if you don't plan to take it?

Doesn't make sense to me either. Now I can see taking advantage of the sale to book a cruise that you aren't yet sure about but booking 4 cruises you already know you won't be taking is odd. What's the point of booking if you don't plan to take it?

I know of at least one frequent cruiser who posts here who booked something like 8 cruises during the sale and will be taking all of them.

I was wondering if royal Caribbean feels comfortable with this sale even after it was extended. I know that some people booked 2015- 2016 with the sale and are super happy because it's a deal ( not for others ). But what will happen if royal starts getting massive cancelations before final payment ?

I made 5 reservations for 2015 on which I'm only planning to sail in 1 of those 5. I'm just watching the prices and will pick the date before final payment. As a result, royal will have to fill those reservation before sailing.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

WOW! That is a lot of money tied up in deposits for nothing! I don't get it!

One of sales people at C&A told me to book a specific cruise onboard as far out as possible to get the better OBC, then change it before final payment date. She said they'd let us keep the OBC even though the fine print says they reserve the right to change the OBC to the open booking model. But, I still wonder what the bean counters will do when 2016 hits.

Maybe that's why that poster booked 5 cruises.

One of sales people at C&A told me to book a specific cruise onboard as far out as possible to get the better OBC, then change it before final payment date. She said they'd let us keep the OBC even though the fine print says they reserve the right to change the OBC to the open booking model. But, I still wonder what the bean counters will do when 2016 hits.

Maybe that's why that poster booked 5 cruises.

Interesting statement from C&A, considering that Royal now takes away $25 of the balcony discount if you certain changes to the booking within 6 months of the sail date.

If they weren't comfortable with the sale, they wouldn't have extended it, and if it wasn't providing them the revenue pop they were looking for, they wouldn't have replicated it for fall 2014 cruises.;)

Count me in as another one that does not understand what the problem is with RCL not allowing you to combine the BOGOHO with residency, senior etc. I guess folks want RCL to honor that rate and then give the 2nd person 1/2 off?

Not gonna happen.

Bottom line like others said if after the sale is over the rates drop be it regular senior, residency, military you just take the BOGOHO off and go with whatever rate is better.

I think Bob is correct that RCCL is happy to get the quick fix of cash from the deposits.

Also, this sale is pulling in a lot of new cruisers [or new to Royal Caribbean]. The average cruiser does not book 5 cruises knowing they will only go on 1. The ships in 2015-2016 are getting full. I noted for some there are no suites at all for individual sailings in 2015. :eek: Most people will book a cruise and take it. :D

Getting the additional deposits from people for cruises so far out is just an added bonus for RCI. The real bonus is that they have actual bookings for a lot of cruises that are a few years out. All those people that have now booked have somewhat committed to cruising on RCI. Some may cancel but most won't. This means that they won't be shopping and comparing prices on the other lines.

With having higher booking numbers this far in advance it has me wondering if RCI will not have to do as many price drops in order to fill the ships as more cabins have been sold up front.

I think that this promotion was a smart move by RCI. Yes some people got some very good price reductions when the sale first came out (myself included) but the money that they gave back to us pales in comparison to the new bookings generated and most likely the new cruisers (we all know how much RCI likes the new cruisers) that they have enticed to book.

Of course you can. If a Sr, resident, or other rate comes available (before final) that is less than the BOGHO rate, you can certainly get the new rate. You should comparing bottom line, nothing else

This is the way I look at it. We had residency discounts and then the BOGOHO sale came and it was cheaper, so we switched and saved money. If the residency discounts come back even cheaper later, we'll switch again. RCI is not the first or last or only company to not permit certain discounts to be combined. Bottom line if the total price is right, buy it, if it's not right, pass on it.

We have 19 cruises booked through 2016... I booked 15 of them at the BYGOHO sale. Just before the sale hit I priced many of them... and the BYGOHO sale saved so much. Almost all of them are balcony staterooms... still huge savings. With the C&A D+ discount it was about the same (within $100) to go book the balcony over an inside! I keep track of each sailing with the total for both persons and taxes. That way when I check prices (and I do check often), if this total goes down I have no problem calling for an adjustment. I booked 8 of them on board and have OBC.

We figured we aren't really losing anything on the deposits since the banks aren't paying any interest! I am very happy with the prices and do not expect a reduction, unless the entire price drops.

As far as cancelling... nope not gonna happen. Unless there is a horrible tragedy... we're taking each and every cruise. :D We booked several B2Bs... price was just too good.

Finally, you have to remember that these boards represent a very small percentage of the cruising public. Most people do not have 19 cruises on the books. Honestly this is the first time I've carefully planned out cruises through 2016. I usually watch and pick up last minute cruises at great prices, during off season. That may still happen... and we'll add them to our list! We are taking first time cruisers with us on a few of these trips... good prices will get them hooked. Most likely the general public booked one cruise... maybe two at these prices. They won't continue to check prices... and they are happy and excited watching that countdown clock. I have to say, I'm sort of envious... I so remember my first cruise... ticking off the days on the calendar (no personal computers back then), waiting, reading books about ports and cruising, planning.

I'm sure Royal is very happy with the sale. They would have never extended the dates if it wasn't working. They would have gone on to another plan. I just wish they'd open up more dates in 2016... I need a cruise!!

Does anyone actually believe that there are such a large number of people like the OP who will book multiple cruises with this sale, planning to take only one of them and cancelling the rest that RCI needs to be concerned? Seems to be more than a stretch to think that this will be the norm rather than the rare exception.

We have 19 cruises booked through 2016... I booked 15 of them at the BYGOHO sale. Just before the sale hit I priced many of them... and the BYGOHO sale saved so much. Almost all of them are balcony staterooms... still huge savings. With the C&A D+ discount it was about the same (within $100) to go book the balcony over an inside! I keep track of each sailing with the total for both persons and taxes. That way when I check prices (and I do check often), if this total goes down I have no problem calling for an adjustment. I booked 8 of them on board and have OBC.

We figured we aren't really losing anything on the deposits since the banks aren't paying any interest! I am very happy with the prices and do not expect a reduction, unless the entire price drops.

As far as cancelling... nope not gonna happen. Unless there is a horrible tragedy... we're taking each and every cruise. :D We booked several B2Bs... price was just too good.

Finally, you have to remember that these boards represent a very small percentage of the cruising public. Most people do not have 19 cruises on the books. Honestly this is the first time I've carefully planned out cruises through 2016. I usually watch and pick up last minute cruises at great prices, during off season. That may still happen... and we'll add them to our list! We are taking first time cruisers with us on a few of these trips... good prices will get them hooked. Most likely the general public booked one cruise... maybe two at these prices. They won't continue to check prices... and they are happy and excited watching that countdown clock. I have to say, I'm sort of envious... I so remember my first cruise... ticking off the days on the calendar (no personal computers back then), waiting, reading books about ports and cruising, planning.

I'm sure Royal is very happy with the sale. They would have never extended the dates if it wasn't working. They would have gone on to another plan. I just wish they'd open up more dates in 2016... I need a cruise!!

19 Booked at once.....WOW!

I think a huge majority of people need to factor in airfare and also at least one night pre-cruise stay so this could pretty much double (or triple) the cruise fare. I could be wrong but I'm guessing that a lot of the people who booked so many cruises during this sale likely live near a port or in Florida somewhere, therefore, they're not shelling out for airfare.

Believe me, if I lived nearer a port, I definitely would have booked more than the one cruise I did during the BOGOHO sale! ;)