Bringing wine on board in port

cricketgal

I've read that you can bring beer back from port too. Does anyone know if this is really true??

I've never experienced any problems with bringing wine onboard at embarkation or in ports and have never had it limited to only one bottle. Occasionally I will also bring a local brand of beer onboard that is not available on the ship to enjoy in my cabin.

If you bring 1 bottle each on board with you at embarkation, can you bring another bottle on board from a port?

You can bring on all the wine you want in FLL. I believe that's where you'll be boarding the Emerald?

Princess is very liberal with those bringing wine on board, just don't overdo it.:)

john

How much is overdoing it? I see reports on these boards of people buying a case of wine and slapping on a luggage tag. It is quickly deleived to their cabin.

How much is overdoing it? I see reports on these boards of people buying a case of wine and slapping on a luggage tag. It is quickly deleived to their cabin.

Answered this on a different post.

IMO two cases on a seven day cruise would be just too much. Princess could clamp down at any time.

john

I've read that you can bring beer back from port too. Does anyone know if this is really true??

I regularly (read: pretty much ever time we stop) bring beer back on board. I don't bring back a carton each time, but will normally bring back anywhere between 3-6 of the local brews to try on sailaway.

I even brought back a Darwin Stubby (a 2L bottle of beer) back on board the Diamond last year. The security thought it was awesome and spent about 5 minutes asking me where I'd got it, as they planned to go and get one for themselves.

Technically, the rule is you can't bring beer or spirits. That rule is there for two reasons (imho anyway, there might be other reasons) - so that Princess can monitor the amount of alcohol that each passenger has (i.e so people aren't drunk) and so that you aren't depriving Princess of a profit. If you are only bringing back a little bit, and your consumption won't affect either of those rules greatly, they won't have any problems.

Our experience is different from another poster so be warned, your mileage may vary.

We've had hard liquor sequestered at non-embarkation ports (which was OK as it was intended to go home anyway) but never had beer or wine taken.

We always put our "local samples" out of sight in a backpack. Sometimes though you can hear it clink.

We've never had hard liquor sequestered when packed in our luggage at embarkation although I've heard that this does sometimes happen with the infamous visit to the "naughty room".

We've never had hard liquor sequestered when packed in our luggage at embarkation although I've heard that this does sometimes happen with the infamous visit to the "naughty room".

Embarkation port luggage X-ray is not done by Princess personnel, so in general Princess would not know there is liquor in your suitcase.

Embarkation port luggage X-ray is not done by Princess personnel, so in general Princess would not know there is liquor in your suitcase.

Great point. I'll make it a point to refrain from saying things I've only heard and not experienced first-hand!

Two years ago my carry on with wine was searched. but not for the wine. I had a zippered steel box, and inside were two decks of playing cards. The inspecter zeroed straight at that, but was most puzzled.:confused:

Last month they looked at my other bag, it had my electic razer, which was of no inerest, but I had to smile, it was searched twice but each time they missed my 7 inch pair of scissers, [i have a beard]. It wass atthe bottom of my 'toilel bag'.:)

john

The only time I have ever been questioned was by a Mexican security agent when bringing aboard a bottle vodka in Puerto Vallarta.

The Mexican agent took the bottle and tried to put it on a table behind him. I grabbed the bottle back and said, " I am extremely sorry, sir, but I am going to take that bottle to Princes Security, so I am sure that it will be returned at the end of the cruise. If you want to come with me to talk to the Princess staff you are certainly welcome to do so." He let me take the bottle by myself and the ship staff didn't say a word as I boarded with it in hand.

Poor guy lost his bottle. :p

I will frequently take a whole case of Perrier on board for a cruise longer than 7 days. I drink a lot of Perrier. When it is inconvenient to board a whole case, I always buy several bottles in every port.

If you bring 1 bottle each on board with you at embarkation, can you bring another bottle on board from a port?

Yes, you can, but I wouldn't count on finding a good selection of wines at any ports of call on your itinerary. Also, wine you may find will not be discounted as is the case with liquor. I suggest you make your wine purchases prior to embarkation.

By the way, we're cruising together on the Emerald. Join our roll call by following the link below...

Lew

There is a nice liquor store in Skagway. Not sure of the name of the street. It is not the main street, but one of the first side streets, the next one up from the train tracks. In front of the entry to the train station. Just across that street. Yellow building -- if I recall. I have bought wine there a few times.:D

My DH has always brought a 6-pack of local beer onboard from different ports to drink onboard. In fact on an Alaskan cruise he brought a small keg of Heinikens onboard.

:(But last year the security guard at the port of Honolulu confiscated it and gave it to Princess security. I'm afraid I raised such a stink about it that the poor guy gave it back to us, but we saw several other 6-packs sitting on a table that he had confiscated. He stated "how was Princess to make money if we brought our own onboard". I told him that they would have to make their money from other passengers then cause we would not be sailing with Princess again if he didn't let us bring it onboard.

I certainly try to observe rules, but none of the rules I've seen mention beer and we have never had it even questioned in all of our 10 cruises. :DIn fact most of the crew ask us which cabin the party is going to be in when they see the beer!!!

Is there any problem taking wine on board in Vancouver since you must go through US Customs before boarding the ship?

I thought I had answered this but don't see the post. US Customs could care less if you take wine on board although I have seen some drug dogs at the security stations.

BarbaraP writes:

I told him that they would have to make their money from other passengers then cause we would not be sailing with Princess again if he didn't let us bring it onboard.

Precisely! I just won't go on a cruise line that treats me like an errant teenager. We took one NCL cruise and when they made us pay a corkage fee for wine we were going to drink on our balcony, that was that. We will never again sail NCL. I hear it is the same on Carnival but I never have had the slightest urge to sail Carnival, so I don't really care.

Archived