It's Official: Royal III's sister is the Regal

chamima

It's official! Our next ship will be named Regal Princess! Today marked a construction milestone with the keel laying ceremony at the Fincantieri shipyard in Italy. Regal Princess will debut in Spring 2014!

Although the name selection was not unexpected, I am glad they decided on the Regal. I like the way Princess recycles names. It honors the history and tradition of the line.

I agree. I'm sure few were surprised by the announcement, but I like the continuation of these traditions. :)

Although the name selection was not unexpected, I am glad they decided on the Regal. I like the way Princess recycles names. It honors the history and tradition of the line.
The US Navy has long honored history and tradition. There have been eight ships of the fleet to carry the name USS Enterprise. Now that the current USS Enterprise will soon be going out of commission after over 50 years of service, I am sure there will be a ninth. Here is a bio of the 8 USS Enterprises:

http://www.enterprise.navy.mil/

Agree re the good name choice. I think Princess has some of the best ship names afloat* and so I'm glad they're into reuse/recycle, so to speak. They skated pretty close to the line of tacky with some of the gem names (Ruby still causes me to wince a little), so I'm relieved they've gone back to their roots. I'd still like to see an Atlantic Princess someday, though . . .

*interesting insta-poll -- your favourite Princess ship names (disassociated from the actual shipboard experience)?

Mine are Ocean, Pacific, and Royal. They sound classic and timeless, and two of them reflect the medium in which they operate, which is always a plus (still bemused over the Sky Princess, which sounds more like something American Airlines would have named one of their 757s).

*interesting insta-poll -- your favourite Princess ship names (disassociated from the actual shipboard experience)?

Mine are Ocean, Pacific, and Royal. They sound classic and timeless, and two of them reflect the medium in which they operate, which is always a plus (still bemused over the Sky Princess, which sounds more like something American Airlines would have named one of their 757s).

Nice idea. I have to say that, as much as I like how Princess continues with the traditional names, I think their choice to institute the "jewel" names was really inspired. I love all those names: Emerald, Ruby, Diamond and Sapphire; and, I don't know why, but Sapphire is my favorite of those names, even though I've never sailed on her (though I have have sailed on the Diamond, as well as the Ruby.)

Agree re the good name choice. I think Princess has some of the best ship names afloat* and so I'm glad they're into reuse/recycle, so to speak. They skated pretty close to the line of tacky with some of the gem names (Ruby still causes me to wince a little), so I'm relieved they've gone back to their roots. I'd still like to see an Atlantic Princess someday, though . . .

I too am glad that Princess chooses to honor past ships by reusing their names. Opal Princess would have been atrocious... :rolleyes: I thought Ruby was pushing it too...

I also think that most Princess ship names are good and not made up like Breakaway or Oasis of the Seas (did anyone at RCI look up the definition of oasis??), but what was up with Fair Princess?? :p Not a Good Princess, not a Great Princess... just Fair. (Yes, I know it was a mashup of Sitmar and Princess ship names... but still bewildering).

Waiting for the the thread "badly Solsticized Regal Princess".
I've never been on a Solstice ship so I could care less whether it is or it isn't. One Celebrity cruise was enough to convince me that it'll be a very long time, if ever, before I book another one. :)

Hi,

This is not a surprise but I am pleased with it. I think Royal Princess and Regal Princess fit together nicely and sound like sister ships. I cruised aboard the original Regal Princess back in 1995 and really liked the ship (with its sleek dolphin-inspired upper decks). I am booked on the maiden voyage of the new Royal Princess and looking forward to it.

Chuck

I'm disappointed that they are making it a twin to the Royal. Although that design sardines people in for more money, it appears that there is very little outdoor space except your balcony. I am curious about the entertainment spaces too--the Royal's design is too food focused for me. So many food venues, and too few other spaces.

Definitely waiting to hear how crowded it is before booking. Caribbean is about as crowded as I can stand, and Royal has less space per passenger.

I think Regal is a great choice and using Royal more than once, a great idea. The original Royal one of my all time favorite ships. I sailed on the latest little Royal in the Med, 2007, I think.

Interesting about Celebrity, I thought it was just me not crazy about Celebrity. People raved how much better they are than Princess I had high expectations but was not impressed. Silly me tried a 2nd time, didn't like it anymore than the 1st and there won't be a "3rd times the charm" try, not doing it.

I'm disappointed that they are making it a twin to the Royal. Although that design sardines people in for more money, it appears that there is very little outdoor space except your balcony. I am curious about the entertainment spaces too--the Royal's design is too food focused for me. So many food venues, and too few other spaces.

Definitely waiting to hear how crowded it is before booking. Caribbean is about as crowded as I can stand, and Royal has less space per passenger.

I'm not so sure about that... the Royal has 520 more passengers and is 28,000 GRT bigger...

From what I have read the Caribbean (like the Emerald, Ruby, and Crown) have about a 36 space ratio, but the Royal is going to have about a 38-39 space ratio. So the space ratio will be better on the Royal than the Caribbean. The best space ratio is on the Coral/Island with about a 45. I think 40 and up space ratio is considered excellent.

That Princess does not listen to their customers.

Many of us preferred the outside wrap around on the promenade deck.The lovely morning walk/jog so healthy in the lovely sea breeze...I am presuming the upper deck one is glass enclosed.?

Hi All

The big shock would have been if they had not named the ship, Regal,

wonder if they will change anything once the Royal has been in service,

the third ship in this class is going to P&O and will not have the sky walk, bar etc

wonder why not.

yours Shogun

We were on the old Regal in the last yr of her service. Will be quite the contrast when we end up sailing on the new Regal. Didn't see anything in the press release to indicate any significant feature differences with Royal, but will be interesting to see if anything gets tweaked during construction based on what's shaping up with Royal.

We are thrilled with the choice of Regal as the next ship in the fleet. Our first Princess voyage was on the Regal and now we are very happy that the memory will be continued as a Regal will sail again.

Archived