Bringing alcohol on board

DAZA

1 bottle of wine per adult cam be brought on when boarding...no beer or liquor. Any alcohol brought on from a port will be confiscated and returned the night before you disembark. These are the technical rules but how close they are followed depends cruise to cruise.

Melody

A quick search of this forum would give you this information. I'll give you a short answer.

You can buy it but you can't have it on the ship. The policy is they'll store it for you during the cruise and return it the last evening for you to take home.

You may bring on 2 bottles (750 ml or smaller) with no charge. Any additional bottles will have a $15 corkage fee.

That's only at embarkation. OP was asking about the "ports" though I suppose embarkation is a port as well.

We are sailing on Dawn Princess in a month's time, departing from the White Bay Cruise Terminal in Sydney, Australia.

Checking in on the White Bay Cruise Terminal website (http://www.sydney.com/destinations/sydney/transport/white-bay-cruise-terminal), I noticed the following quote:

"What NOT to bring

"You are NOT permitted to bring any alcohol on board for personal consumption. Duty-free, tax-free and personal alcohol purchased onshore must be surrendered by passengers at embarkation or prior to boarding at any port."

I understood that Princess allows you to bring wine on board as long as you observe their (i.e. Princess's) rules.

Does anyone know which rule applies here -- Princess's or the cruise terminal's?

Michael

A quick search of this forum would give you this information. I'll give you a short answer.

You can buy it but you can't have it on the ship. The policy is they'll store it for you during the cruise and return it the last evening for you to take home.

Even that option has been controversial on this forum - Some posters have stated that they destroy it before your very eyes.

Even that option has been controversial on this forum - Some posters have stated that they destroy it before your very eyes.

:D Above ... but who knows if you're trying to sneak it on ....

We've found on Princess that when returning from a port there is a table set up for those who purchased alcohol in the port. You give it to the person who's there and give your name and cabin number. They will hold it for you until the end of the cruise.

Do get it packed in a sturdy box. ;)

DH sometimes buys Sheridan's because we can't get it at home. Never a problem ... but he's not trying to sneak it on the ship.

LuLu

~~~~

We all pretty much know what Princess's official policy is on bringing alcohol on board - 1 bottle of wine or champagne on embarkation. Any hard liquor or beer can and has been confiscated and poured out.

However, the problem appears to still be very inconsistent enforcement on different voyages. On our 14 day B2B to Alaska in June, DW and I brought on 2 bottles of wine at embarkation, as per policy- no problem. Our carry on was checked at Vancouver, and our cabin # was noted. At one of the ports on our voyage, I brought on 1 more bottle of wine. There was a check in table and again, our cabin # was noted. There was no corkage fee charged and we consumed the bottle in our cabin. At another port on the same voyage, the check in table was not there, and we brought on 2 more bottles of wine. My backpack was scanned and we were allowed to bring the 2 bottles of wine without corkage fee. The guy behind us wasn't so lucky. He tried to bring on a bottle of liquor in his backpack, which ended up being searched, and the liquor was confiscated. I don't know if it ended up being poured out or held until the last night of the cruise.

All this just to say that the policy is obviously not strictly enforced on all Princess ships, but you are playing a kind of Russian Roulette. I guess if you don't mind taking your chances with bringing wine back on at ports, the worst that will happen is you might get charged corkage fees. Different story with hard liquor!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We are sailing on Dawn Princess in a month's time, departing from the White Bay Cruise Terminal in Sydney, Australia.

Checking in on the White Bay Cruise Terminal website (http://www.sydney.com/destinations/sydney/transport/white-bay-cruise-terminal), I noticed the following quote:

"What NOT to bring

"You are NOT permitted to bring any alcohol on board for personal consumption. Duty-free, tax-free and personal alcohol purchased onshore must be surrendered by passengers at embarkation or prior to boarding at any port."

I understood that Princess allows you to bring wine on board as long as you observe their (i.e. Princess's) rules.

Does anyone know which rule applies here -- Princess's or the cruise terminal's?

Michael

we were on the cruise around australia last april and only 1 bottle of wine per person was allowed at embarkation and no more at any ports, if you tried to bring any on it was taken off you and given back at the end of the cuise.....i dont know if the policy has been changed

If that ever happens to you, you should most definitely request reimbursement. Princess has clearly stated that they will confiscate it and return it at the end of the voyage.

On the Coral Alaska Northbound Aug 28 we asked when leaving in Juneau if we were permitted to bring a bottle of wine on board from the port. We were told yes - the personae behind asked about liquor and they stated no liquor, only wine. My husband boarded about 10 minutes before me, they confiscated his bottle of wine. When I returned I was unaware of this. I had wine in a Tetra Pak and no comment was made about it and it was not taken away.

The confiscated bottle was given back on the last night on the ship. We gave it to our steward.

I am fine with the policy but was very upset because we were told we could bring it back from port. I thought that I had read that it was ok to bring a bottle from each port. Obviously I was wrong.

The worst part is that the good bottle of wine was taken away, the one I brought was awful!

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

If that ever happens to you, you should most definitely request reimbursement. Princess has clearly stated that they will confiscate it and return it at the end of the voyage.

Princess does state alcohol outside of the policy will be destroyed, it does happen, it happened to me. My wife had a bottle of chapagne removed and destroyed that was inside her luggage.

Princess wine policy on wine bought on in a foreign port is one point but I think the real question is what have people experienced when they were in port and brought wine back. Their was a 49 day cruise to San Francisco earlier this year and I read posts where people bought wine back on board while in port and nobody said anything so the policy may or may not be enforced.

Tom:)

Princess wine policy on wine bought on in a foreign port is one point but I think the real question is what have people experienced when they were in port and brought wine back. Their was a 49 day cruise to San Francisco earlier this year and I read posts where people bought wine back on board while in port and nobody said anything so the policy may or may not be enforced.

Tom:)

On the 49-night South American cruise from 26th January to March, we were allowed to bring wine on board at ports of call. From what I have read, the enforcement of the one-bottle-per-person-at-embarkation rule started around March this year. It was not enforced on the Sth American cruise, but that doesn't mean it isn't enforced on the same ship now. :)

just back from Greek cruise yesterday. I asked the "front desk" what the policy was for the 2 bottles allowed as we had not brought any the first day. They said you could bring it at any time from any port and it was taken off your "allocation". However ... (drum roll) .. maybe it was just our particular cruise but since every port except Naples had an actual Duty Free shop at the bottom of the gangway .. people bought stuff all the time - now in saying that .. small quantities. We first bought 2 bottles of rose asti at just under 9 euros .. and it was lovely .. so every port we replenished - and never once was it even glanced at or noted. People were also bringing in small quantities of beer .. (also at duty free) and water usually a huge bottle for a euro. I did not see anyone with liquor purchases and I was watching for them. All in all though the prices of wines at the table were not bad and cheaper than most Ontario restaurants charge. It is the same price as what is on the list for "gifts" except on board they add a gratuity so in fact it was cheaper by abit to buy ahead.

Archived