Steiner gets the boot!

InTheWASide

The only reason for this divorce is that Steiner was not generating enough profit for celebrity.. and celebrity wants more $'s for that large space. I would expect higher prices, perhaps some new priced options and more pressure behind sales pitches. It's all about the $s.

Edited by ghstudio

Wow! I hope they pick someone great. I'd love Canyon Ranch, but I wouldn't put a bet down on it happening. I think it will be a positive and hopefully whoever it is will not have the hard sell tactics that Steiner had.

Canyon Ranch would get my vote, too! I went to their spa in the Venetian (Las Vegas), the year they opened -- fabulous! :cool:

Although the spa products can be pricey, you just don't encounter that "hard sales / snake oil pitch" (that Steiner is infamous for) anywhere in Vegas. I think any spa that tried it probably wouldn't be in business for long!

Canyon Ranch would get my vote, too! I went to their spa in the Venetian (Las Vegas), the year they opened -- fabulous! :cool:

Although the spa products can be pricey, you just don't encounter that "hard sales / snake oil pitch" (that Steiner is infamous for) anywhere in Vegas. I think any spa that tried it probably wouldn't be in business for long!

I go to Canyon Ranch in Tucson and it is fantastic. I think they have spas on a few cruise ships. I've had them suggest products, but never a hard sell them.

I wish I could remember the spa name at the Hyatt Regency Kauai (Lotus Spa?), now that was heaven, even in the bottles I brought home and re-ordered by 800# printed on the products.

It wasn't Canyon Ranch like the Venetian, LVgs, or at Gaylords in Orlando, CR has high prices, cafes, well, an environment that goes with the name.

At Steiner, I'd resist the hard-sell and go for the 20-20-20 packages.

They'll probably make a comeback like the art auctions as they have a cruise ship network.

-Marisa

Edited by USVI-4-me

I will not miss them at all. I love to do Yoga. To be a certified Yoga teacher requires hours of study. These gym rats from Steiner know nothing of Yoga and I've seen them putting people into dangerous positions.

Just calling it "elements of Yoga" is not, IMHO, sufficient to get away with teaching something they know little about. They teach a dangerous and error-filled course and then have the chutzpa to charge for it. Same for Pilates, but I think they get to read a book on it.

Most of the spa people are good at their jobs (and better at trying to sell you stuff :D), but the gym rats would never be hired by any gym I'd belong to.

On one cruise, a gym rat was watching me go through my personal Yoga routine. After I was done he came over and asked me questions on some of the positions. He seemed to be interested by the flow of one position to another which, he said, was something he never considered. He told me that Steiner gave him a pamphlet about Yoga when they hired him and that was his training.

I have asked Celebrity to put certified Yoga and Pilates instructors on the ships. They've done it with Zumba.

Off my soap box. Thanks for the opportunity to spout a little. Merry Christmas and happy new year to all.:D

Is the the same as the Bunny Ranch?

🎅🎄

The only reason for this divorce is that Steiner was not generating enough profit for celebrity.. and celebrity wants more $'s for that large space. I would expect higher prices, perhaps some new priced options and more pressure behind sales pitches. It's all about the $s.

I'm surprised they say it's only worth 24c/share of earnings. It's not like they were earning a lot of money out of it. Too many discounts?

As far as this being good or bad will depend on the company replacing Steiners.

So that raises the question...

Besides Steiner and Canyon Ranch... are there other spa brands with a larger "at sea" presence?

And even between those two, Canyon Ranch has a MUCH smaller footprint...

I will not miss them at all. I love to do Yoga. To be a certified Yoga teacher requires hours of study. These gym rats from Steiner know nothing of Yoga and I've seen them putting people into dangerous positions.

Just calling it "elements of Yoga" is not, IMHO, sufficient to get away with teaching something they know little about. They teach a dangerous and error-filled course and then have the chutzpa to charge for it. Same for Pilates, but I think they get to read a book on it.

Most of the spa people are good at their jobs (and better at trying to sell you stuff :D), but the gym rats would never be hired by any gym I'd belong to.

On one cruise, a gym rat was watching me go through my personal Yoga routine. After I was done he came over and asked me questions on some of the positions. He seemed to be interested by the flow of one position to another which, he said, was something he never considered. He told me that Steiner gave him a pamphlet about Yoga when they hired him and that was his training.

I have asked Celebrity to put certified Yoga and Pilates instructors on the ships. They've done it with Zumba.

Off my soap box. Thanks for the opportunity to spout a little. Merry Christmas and happy new year to all.:D

I feel the same way about the Cycle classes on board...

I've been doing Pilates for years and was watching a 20 something gym rat on the ship rip off crunches and suggested a much slower approach, as he was only engaging the fast twitch muscles, and a form change for his oblique work. A couple days later he told me how sore his abs were from those slight changes.

The article says the contract won't be renewed after the end of 2013. That's next week. Does anyone know how long the current contract is good through? It can't just end next week, can it, unless something else is already lined up? I'm just wondering if how/if this impacts January's cruises.

Edited by SnowshoeCat

I wonder too since boarding Jan 11th. :confused: As mentioned it makes sense to go with a company that already manages other cruise ship spas, knows the drill with staff contracts, etc. That would be Canyon Ranch, already on Queen Mary 2, Oceania Cruises, and Regent Seven Seas Cruises, and would be good news indeed.