Pinnacle Class Rendering

eroller

A couple renderings of HAL's new Pinnacle Class. As you can see, it's essentially an evolution and enlargement of the Signature Class (EURODAM / NIEUW AMSTERDAM), with of course the Signature Class being an evolution and enlargement of the Vista Class (ZUIDERDAM / OOSTERDAM / WESTERDAM / NOORDAM). I have heard the interiors will be somewhat of a departure from what we may have come to expect from Holland America. The same was said of ZUIDERDAM when she was introduced, and to a certain extent it was true (not in a good way unfortunately).

Ernie

12242302743_3620b4a40d_o.jpg

12242124505_f08c30e9ab_o.jpg

In case you were wondering, these images were captured from the HAL video celebrating 140 years.

My biggest concern, and it's quite difficult to tell in these renderings, is the lifeboat arrangement. The trend today with many new ship designs is to have the lifeboats sit directly on the deck. What this means is that there is no traditional promenade deck under the boats. Instead, just a small walkway behind the boats with absolutely no view and no room for chairs. It appears this may be the case on the Pinnacle Class but I can't be sure until better renderings are released. If this is the case, it's likely the only sections of the Promenade Deck with a view and room for seating will be the small areas aft of the boats and a small section midship between the boats. Just speculation at this point and I'm sure we will find out soon enough.

Another thing missing is the glass enclosed deck house midship which on the Signature Class houses the Silk Den bar and lounge, and Tamarind Speciality restaurant. In a way this omission would revert back to the Vista class which also does not include this midship deck house.

Ernie

My biggest concern, and it's quite difficult to tell in these renderings, is the lifeboat arrangement. The trend today with many new ship designs is to have the lifeboats sit directly on the deck. What this means is that there is no traditional promenade deck under the boats. Instead, just a small walkway behind the boats with absolutely no view and no room for chairs. It appears this may be the case on the Pinnacle Class but I can't be sure until better renderings are released. If this is the case, it's likely the only sections of the Promenade Deck with a view and room for seating will be the small areas aft of the boats and a small section midship between the boats. Just speculation at this point and I'm sure we will find out soon enough.

Another thing missing is the glass enclosed deck house midship which on the Signature Class houses the Silk Den bar and lounge, and Tamarind Speciality restaurant. In a way this omission would revert back to the Vista class which also does not include this midship deck house.

Ernie

Last two cruises on Signature Class ships we were told the Tamarind would be located above the Lido on the new Pinnacle Class.

The real question is:

Does this ship really get built? Will HAL delay the build further than the already announced date?

If it ever gets built, it could be sent to another Carnival Corp. division.

I'm pretty sure this is a done deal. HAL has been very busy designing the interiors and perhaps a few renderings might find their way public before too long.

The delivery date was pushed back from late 2015 to early 2016 (Feb 15, 2016), so of course anything is possible between now and then

Ernie

Edited by eroller

Another thing missing ...

... are the mid-ship glass elevarors

No promenade deck.
No promenade deck makes me sad.:(
I'll bet that it will be just like the Vista and Signature ships because that's a HAL "trademark". These renderings aren't clear enough to conclude anything different.

If you took a picture of the N.A. or E'dam and lowered the contrast enough you could probably make the promenade "disappear" too.

Edited by jtl513

... are the mid-ship glass elevarors

I'll bet that it will be just like the Vista and Signature ships because that's a HAL "trademark". These renderings aren't clear enough to conclude anything different.

Trademarks change, and these days accountants rule. Placing the lifeboats directly on the deck creates an entirely new deck of revenue producing balcony cabins. I'm guessing the accountants feel the passengers can live without a traditional promenade deck especially since most will have their own balcony. When the extra revenue is thrown into the equation especially over the life of the ship, I'm guessing senior management is easily convinced this is the way to go. We have already seen versions of this lifeboat arrangement with new builds for Princess, MSC Cruises, NCL, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity.

Ernie

Big mistake, this is one of the reasons I cruise HAL and Princess.
I don't see from this rendering how anyone can decide whether there will be a promenade or not. It looks to me like the lifeboats are right below the deck 5 railings, just like the six ships preceding her.

Looks like an enlarged Queen Victoria to me

Actually my understanding is that COSTA LUMINOSA was used as a starting point, and the design went from there such as adding two decks of cabins above the bridge and a new lifeboat arrangement (nestled directly onto the deck).

Ernie

We have already seen versions of this lifeboat arrangement with new builds for Princess, MSC Cruises, NCL, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity.

I exclude NCL from this "Hall of Shame". A big Plus to them for making new ships better than the older one - a very rare thing nowadays.

Royal Princess, MSC Fantasia class, RCI Quantum OTS and Celebrity S-class of course are respected residents of the "Hall". :)

Actually my understanding is that COSTA LUMINOSA was used as a starting point, and the design went from there such as adding two decks of cabins above the bridge and a new lifeboat arrangement (nestled directly onto the deck).

Very true about the Luminosa - they are now adding Costa's "signature detail": the magrodome is two decks high (it's one deck high on HAL ships).

The Lido pool will have less open feel, but IMO overall it's an improvement.

The only visible improvement so far! I would also mention more shade on the aft pool deck.

The loss of the promenade deck is a catastrophe. It momentarily changes the the whole character of the ship and the quality of the product.

Not only a single most distinctive feature of a cruise ship and a fantastic experience is lost, but also precious open deck space.

How spacious is promenade deck on the Signature class?

It's as little as to accommodate all the passengers for muster station drill!

It's also a great place passengers enjoy during the day.

Note larger capacity of the Pinnacle class....

Where shall they go now?

Upper decks!

Welcome to MSC and Celebrity!

Currently HAL Signature class ships are oases of the seas (literally).

Reduce open deck space, add more passengers and get .....:confused:

Lost opportunity: forward observation deck. The Spirit class has a proper observation deck that is located where it should be.

The Signature class observation deck is a kind of a compromise.

Now there is a good opportunity to take care of the place that hurts...

Lost!

Switching places of Tamarind&Sun deck and Sports Court.

Probably more convenient for the galley&stuff.

The sun deck is now closer to the pool, but loses it's exceptional spaciousness and private feel.

The new project as it's seen now suffers painful losses that will automatically cost it one star out of five.

However, unlike the Royal Princess it's not a tutorial "How to Kill Princess".

The ship still has its merits and also some internal innovations are expected.

Let's hope.

But!

Those who are working on the new project (if they want to build a classy resort ship despite all the "trends") have to remember that what is allowed for bulls is not allowed for Jupiter. :)