Is Belize safe?

caulder60

I was on a cruise that stopped in Belize last month and at no time did I have concern for my safety. There is a good sized, touristy shopping area when you first get off the tender that seemed to have a lot of security and you have to be a cruise passenger to shop there. But if you plan to leave the shopping area I would go on an excursion either through the cruise line or a reputable company. I went cave tubing (about an hour outside of town) and had a wonderful experience.

We did not care for Belize. The immediate port area was fine but there is a very tall fence around it for a reason. The town beyond this fence is not a place I would wander around.

Many people might disagree, but my hubby is a big strapping police officer and he did not like the area at all. We were warned by the cruiseline not to go beyond the fence.

That being said.....this is one port I would book a ship excursion...

I agree about shopping inside the fenced-in area and a scheduled tour. I took an excursion that involved a drive around the area (the driver would NOT drive us through their "downtown" area), the only photo stop was at a church along the coast which was built using the ballast bricks from sailing ships, and a nice stop at the countries only brewery, about an hour or so outside Belieze City.

Having been there once, should an itinerary include Belieze, I wouldn't get off the ship.

My family is thinking of taking a cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Belize and somewhere else. I have been told we should pick another cruise. Any suggestions? Is it that unsafe? :confused:

Belize City is not a place you would want to wander around in. There are some wonderful and beautiful areas outside the city in Belize. Book a ship's tour and you will enjoy it.

We have been to Belize twice. I agree with everyone that you have to have an excursion booked here. It does not have to be a ships excursion. Definitely do your homework and read lots of reviews beforehand! And do not go outside the gates on your own. Everyone wants to make money while the ships are in port and they will hound you!

This past February we went to Goff's Caye and had an incredible day! I would definitely do it again! It was like having your own private island in the middle of the Caribbean Sea!

A few years ago we went with Coral Breeze/ Hammerhead Sports and did not get the excursion we paid for. Worst excursion we ever did but I never felt unsafe.

Hope that helps,

Lauri

I spent two years working in Belize and it is perfectly safe if you take the normal precautions that apply in any city in USA or UK. Stay away from the seedy areas during the hours of darkness and don't carry wads of money.

Like and agree with this...ANYWHERE can be dangerous in the world we live in today...even in your hometowns.

I spent two years working in Belize and it is perfectly safe if you take the normal precautions that apply in any city in USA or UK. Stay away from the seedy areas during the hours of darkness and don't carry wads of money.

This!

The cruise lines have done a masterful job of convincing passengers that you must only shop at their "approved" stores in the port area inside the fence and only book their excursions, for "safety" reasons.

We have been to Belize a few times and while Belize City is not particularly scenic, its perfectly fine to walk around. The people there are, for the most part, the working poor, but we found them to be a warm, lovely people.

The people there are, for the most part, the working poor, but we found them to be a warm, lovely people.

And that is exactly why we do not book ships excursions! We love to experience and immerse ourselves in new cultures! Meeting the locals and tour guides really helps us do that! We have met so many wonderful folks!

Lauri

Add me as another that agrees with this post. It seems people often let appearances scare them when there is really little to fear. We have found the locals to be quite friendly, just poor. This is often the case on many of the islands as well.

I second the poster who recommended a tour to the Mayan ruins Lamanai. The approach is worthwhile: a bus ride out of town, the further away you get, the less garbage at the side of the road, a boat ride on a river with some wildlife sightings and you arrive in the ruins hidden in the jungle inhabited by howler monkeys. You are allowed to climb the highest pyramid. We loved tis tour.

I have been outside the enclosed port area a few times and have booked tours with some of the outside vendors. I did not feel threatened nor unsafe.

The vendors and tour guides outside the enclosed area are poor people trying to make a living. I saw several security officers there and the tour guides are mostly licensed and part of an organization headed by Major Tom. He is a true gentleman and the members of his organization I have dealt with are honest nice people.

The scare tactics the cruise lines use to contain business to their shops disturb me !!

I prefer to get ship excursions in Belize simply because they tend to be full day excursions that don't leave you a ton of buffer time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This!

We enjoy snorkeling, and the ship's excursions are the most convenient even if they are a bit more expensive. The distance to the ruins means that we feel more comfortable with a ship's excursion. I discovered that Belize City is not the best place for sightseeing, just not that attractive. But I felt safe in my wanderings . . . There were a lot of police and security guards.

I definitely agree that a ships tour is the only way to do the ruins. There is basically no buffer time with those excursions. This is one of the few times I would break my rule of no ships excursions! We have yet to make it to the ruins! DH had a broken foot on our last stop in Belize. Maybe next time.

Lauri

Actually, Belize is as safe as anywhere. All of the Caribbean Islands (with the exception of Grand Caymen) are VERY poor, so folks will attempt to get you to give them money.... It's not that they're dangerous, just annoying.

WOW! I'm sure the folks in St. Barts and Nevis, to name two, are very surprised to learn that they are "VERY poor". I wish I was that poor.