8 months after booking through RCCL told our B2B violates Jones Act Help needed

London Bridge

:( my husband and I booked a B2b to celebrate our 40 th anniversary .

We booked in February onboard the radiance in Australia .

The two cruses are on celebrity solstice Hawaii to Vancouver and a Vancouver to Seattle. We have purchased non refundable air through travelocity including a precruise stop in kaui. When booking we specifically asked about whether this itinerary violated the Jones Act and were ensured that it did not. Now 8 months later Celebrity called and said the trip violates the jones act . They offered to cancel one leg of the trip and provide 200 each to cover the cost of air change fees. The problem is to fly home from Vancouver now costs 2000 more.

They also offered to have us disembark at the last stop Victoria and pay for us to transport ourselves to Seattle and they would refund 200 each to pay for a hotel and transportation to Seattle from Victoria and we would only miss one night of the second cruise. Again changing the air which we would need to do costs over 1500 because we could not make our flight. We are not keen on ending our vacation with this hassle.

Does anyone have experience resolving this problem satisfactorily and having the cruise line compensate them the full amount they are out since it was their error and they waited 8 months to inform us.

We are very disappointed in RCCL. Who washed their hands of it claiming it was a celebrity issue despite the fact that it was their agent who booked, we even tried calling crown and anchor since we are diamond members...

The two cruses are on celebrity solstice Hawaii to Vancouver and a Vancouver to Seattle. We have purchased non refundable air through travelocity including a precruise stop in kaui. When booking we specifically asked about whether this itinerary violated the Jones Act and were ensured that it did not. Now 8 months later Celebrity called and said the trip violates the jones act . They offered to cancel one leg of the trip and provide 200 each to cover the cost of air change fees. The problem is to fly home from Vancouver now costs 2000 more.

They also offered to have us disembark at the last stop Victoria and pay for us to transport ourselves to Seattle and they would refund 200 each to pay for a hotel and transportation to Seattle from Victoria and we would only miss one night of the second cruise. Again changing the air which we would need to do costs over 1500 because we could not make our flight. We are not keen on ending our vacation with this hassle.

Does anyone have experience resolving this problem satisfactorily and having the cruise line compensate them the full amount they are out since it was their error and they waited 8 months to inform us.

We are very disappointed in RCCL. Who washed their hands of it claiming it was a celebrity issue despite the fact that it was their agent who booked, we even tried calling crown and anchor since we are diamond members...

The only two ways I know of to avoid violating the PVSA are take a different ship for the second leg from Vancouver to Seattle, or cancel the second leg and take a shuttle or Amtrak to Seattle.

The PVSA doesn't allow a foreign registered ship to board passengers at one USA port and disembark them at another USA port without calling on a DISTANT foreign port..

Edited by swedish weave

Okay, before someone else comes in and says it, it's not the Jones Act but the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA). Jones Act is for cargo, but folks like me and many just say Jones Act, but we have those here who get a bit particular about it, so I just thought I would mention it first! (Edit, I see PVSA has already been mention above!)

That being said: Did you book this on a credit card?

If so, cancel and dispute the charges due to the reasons you gave as to excessive extra cost, and be sure to let Celebrity / RCI know what your are doing and why.

Okay, you lose a cruise, but another one can always be booked.

Edited by loubetti

The only two ways I know of to avoid violating the PVSA are take a different ship for the second leg from Vancouver to Seattle, or cancel the second leg and take a shuttle or Amtrak to Seattle.

The PVSA doesn't allow a foreign registered ship to board passengers at one USA port and disembark them at another USA port without calling on a DISTANT foreign port..

We are willing to do either preferably cancel the second leg but the change in non refundable air fare is over 2000 to change the date and or location we had a great deal 1300 for two from ct to HI and Seattle to Ct . Celebrity only offering to cover the 200 air change fee.... This seems highly unfair since it was RCCL ERROR in booking this....

Thanks

I think, unless you have something actually in writing, showing who told you it would be OK, you're going to have a difficult time.

I agree that whoever told you that should be held accountable, but, unfortunately, when dealing with personnel who handle reservations for cruises, many of them just tell you what they think you want to hear. Mostly because they don't know and won't say so.

As I see it, you can only cancel the second cruise and get yourself to Seattle to catch your plane. I think they should be giving you a full refund on the second cruise, as well as covering the hotel charges you might incur in Seattle before your plane. I'm not sure why you would have to change the date/location of the flight if they are willing to pay to get you to Seattle from Victoria.

I would cancel the Vancouver-Seattle portion. Use the money from that portion and take the train from Vancouver to Seattle. It's a beautiful trip! You could take the late afternoon train the same day you debark in Vancouver. Then, just stay in Seattle and take the flights you already have. No need to pay the extra money for a flight addition and change.

I mentioned it on your post on the Celebrity board, but in case you don't see that one, there are many ways to get between the cities. Since the ship offered to assist you in leaving the shop only one day early, in Victoria, BC, I would do that. It means you won't be rushed to leave the ship and can take a little bit longer to clear your room. Chances are, there will be a number of passengers leaving in Victoria, as there were last year.

Please go to http://seattletimes.com/html/travel/2008116402_trthreecities17.html

To see the ways to get between Victoria, Seattle, and Vancouver. It really doesn't need to be a big deal. The amount they are offering will cover the cost of the ferry between Victoria and Seattle, along with the hotel for the night in Seattle.

I think, unless you have something actually in writing, showing who told you it would be OK, you're going to have a difficult time.

I agree that whoever told you that should be held accountable, but, unfortunately, when dealing with personnel who handle reservations for cruises, many of them just tell you what they think you want to hear. Mostly because they don't know and won't say so.

As I see it, you can only cancel the second cruise and get yourself to Seattle to catch your plane. I think they should be giving you a full refund on the second cruise, as well as covering the hotel charges you might incur in Seattle before your plane. I'm not sure why you would have to change the date/location of the flight if they are willing to pay to get you to Seattle from Victoria.

The problem is the Seattle flight is a week later from when we get off the first cruise in Vancouver so there would still be change fees. We don't want to spend an entire week in Seattle since we both work and don't want to use the vacation time. I really hate to cancel the entire trip as it was a special trip for our anniversary but it is becoming a more of a PIA than a pleasure....

Assuming OP has a confirmation from RCI, it IS in writing

Cruise line accepted the deposit and took the booking.

Months later they discovered they should not have. OP should not bear any penalty for RCI's error.

THEY are the 'professionals'.

Edited by sail7seas

Assuming OP has a confirmation from the cruise line, it IS in writing. Cruise line accepted the deposit and took the booking.

It is cruise line's responsibility to make it right.

Unfortunately, cruiselines accept payment for these types of back to back cruises all the time (despite being against the PVSA). One of the issues with reservation clerks (and their lack of knowledge in this area). It isn't until the manifest is submitted to immigration/customs (whoever) that someone says "Hey, you can't do this". By that time it's after penalties for cancellations typically kick in.

Yes, I believe it is the cruiselines responsibility (which one - RCCL who made the original booking, or Celebrity who took the booking?) to recompense any lost funds due to their error.

However, unless they actually have an agent saying (in writing) "Yes, this is not a violation of the PVSA" in spite of it being so, they aren't going to get very far in my opinion.

I'm not sure it is that easy. I think I remember reading there can be a severe penalty to a cruise ship that intentionally and knowingly from the start violates PVSA. The authorities take these violations seriously and my understanding that even in the case of a death while aboard, application must be made for an exception for the violation if the body is removed from the ship at a port along the way. It is not 'automatically' waived.

Someone who is more versed than me, hopefully, will address that question.

If you have a TA ask them to help. If not followup again and speak to someone from the cruise line about this and talk through the penalty and if paying it is an option and see what you can negotiate with respect to the penalty.

Also ask if they can split this into two cruises with two different booking numbers and if this would satisfy the rule.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

If you have a TA ask them to help. If not followup again and speak to someone from the cruise line about this and talk through the penalty and if paying it is an option and see what you can negotiate with respect to the penalty.

Also ask if they can split this into two cruises with two different booking numbers and if this would satisfy the rule.

Keith

Sorry, that won't do it. Computer would catch it. In fact, it may have been done that way in the first place. EM

We are willing to do either preferably cancel the second leg but the change in non refundable air fare is over 2000 to change the date and or location we had a great deal 1300 for two from ct to HI and Seattle to Ct . Celebrity only offering to cover the 200 air change fee.... This seems highly unfair since it was RCCL ERROR in booking this....

Thanks

Unfortunately since the cruise line had nothing to do with arranging the air this is probably the best you'll get. If it were me I would try to find another line to sail with for the second leg.

I don't understand this part:

They also offered to have us disembark at the last stop Victoria and pay for us to transport ourselves to Seattle and they would refund 200 each to pay for a hotel and transportation to Seattle from Victoria and we would only miss one night of the second cruise.

If I read this correctly, this way you get off the second cruise one day early, and they'll get you to Seattle via some other means so you can catch your original flight?

Why does this result in:

Again changing the air which we would need to do costs over 1500 because we could not make our flight. We are not keen on ending our vacation with this hassle.

What time is your flight out of Seattle? You could disembark in Victoria at 6pm, have them get you a hotel there, take a 6am flight (their expense, you say) to Seattle, arriving at 06:40, which is nearly the same time as the ship arrives. Flight is $180. Hotel $150-190.

Am I understanding this correctly. If you take their offer, you will miss one night of your cruise and they will pay to get you to the second port to board your original trip? If this is the case, I would take it. You lose one night, but the trip from Vancouver to Seattle is a pretty trip and you would reboard the ship. Not too big a hassle and you get almost your whole trip. Better than giving up the whole thing?

Am I understanding this correctly. If you take their offer, you will miss one night of your cruise and they will pay to get you to the second port to board your original trip? If this is the case, I would take it. You lose one night, but the trip from Vancouver to Seattle is a pretty trip and you would reboard the ship. Not too big a hassle and you get almost your whole trip. Better than giving up the whole thing?

I read the scenario as, they take the first cruise, Hawaii to Vancouver, then the Vancouver to Seattle, but get off at the last foreign port, Victoria, and then they would pay for a hotel and transportation from Victoria to Seattle to make their return flight to CT. From my research, they miss one night on the ship, and can still make it to Seattle at the same time as the ship, so they can make their original return flight.

The second leg is not a Vancouver to Seattle hop, it is a 10 day Alaskan cruise.

Edited by chengkp75

I read the scenario as, they take the first cruise, Hawaii to Vancouver, then the Vancouver to Seattle, but get off at the last foreign port, Victoria, and then they would pay for a hotel and transportation from Victoria to Seattle to make their return flight to CT. From my research, they miss one night on the ship, and can still make it to Seattle at the same time as the ship, so they can make their original return flight.

The second leg is not a Vancouver to Seattle hop, it is a 10 day Alaskan cruise.

Sounds like win-win to me.

High speed ferry = 3 hours

Flight = 1 hour

Train = 4 hours

Seattle = AMAZING tourist destination with GREAT restaurants and lots to do.

Why on earth wouldn't you want to get off in Victoria, go to Seattle, enjoy a fantastic evening there on the cruise line's $$$ prior to your flight home the next day?