Jewel cancels Puerto Vallarta for Tues 5/12

Live from Jewel....Captain just announced due to violence in Puerto Vallarta we will not be stopping on Tuesday, 5/12/15. He said the US and Canada have issued travel warnings.

Interesting. I wonder if Legend will skip Cabo this week.

Hope it settles down by the time the Jewel returns in the fall. We used to live in Guadalahara and DH sent me a link the other day to what is going on there. I'm betting he sends me the Puerta Vallarta news link next. I'm looking forward to seeing it again and would hate to have to skip the port, but I understand the necessity. We ran into some weird stuff years ago and it's only gotten worse.

Puerto Vallarta was not on the Legend's itinerary for the April 29th cruise through the PC but Cabo was. Guatemala was eliminated.

Edited by cruisenfever

What a bummer. Puerto Vallarta is such a lovely place. We used to spend a week there every February and absolutely loved it. We used to stay at a place called 'Mesa del Mar' right on the beach on the other side of town from the hotels. So sad.

Are they adding another stop on place or it going to be sea day?

Seaday

Puerto Vallarta was not on the Legend's itinerary for the April 29th cruise through the PC but Cabo was. Guatemala was eliminated.

Actually when the Captain came on and said he had some unfortunate news....we thought it would be that we were skipping Guatemala tomorrow. Nope....surprise....skipping a port but not the one we had preducted!

This is SO STUPID!!!! The "violence" was one day....and one day only! It was the cartels firebombing banks that were CLOSED for the day. They even told anyone nearby to leave the area. Not a single one was near the tourist areas and those in the tourist areas had no idea anything was even happening. It was a direct message from the cartels to the government, nothing more.

If RCI is so damned concerned about the "safety of passengers" why don't they cancel Baltimore MD????? I feel safer in PV at 2am on any street than I would ever feel in Baltimore! http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/United_States_Of_America/46-Baltimore_Maryland/May_2015/

RCI looks for a reason to eliminate cruises to any where near or that serves our west coast. A lot more violence in other parts of the world hasn't prevented them from sailing there. :(

This is SO STUPID!!!! The "violence" was one day....and one day only! It was the cartels firebombing banks that were CLOSED for the day. They even told anyone nearby to leave the area. Not a single one was near the tourist areas and those in the tourist areas had no idea anything was even happening. It was a direct message from the cartels to the government, nothing more.

If RCI is so damned concerned about the "safety of passengers" why don't they cancel Baltimore MD????? I feel safer in PV at 2am on any street than I would ever feel in Baltimore! http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/United_States_Of_America/46-Baltimore_Maryland/May_2015/

It doesn't sound stupid canceling the port that day from your description. Royal is supposed to trust that the drug cartel will limit the area of violence? And will only be bombing closed banks? :eek:

Edited by Charles4515

:( http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/alertswarnings/mexico-travel-warning.html

Jalisco: Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta, and Lake Chapala are major cities/travel destinations in Jalisco – Exercise caution throughout the state, particularly in rural areas and when using secondary highways. Violent clashes between criminal organizations and government authorities, and related disturbances including barricades of burning vehicles blocking major roads and highways, are ongoing concerns that typically occur without notice. Defer non-essential travel to areas of the state that border the states of Michoacán and Zacatecas. The security situation along the Michoacán and Zacatecas borders continues to be unstable. U.S. government personnel are authorized to use Federal toll road 15D for travel to Mexico City; however, they may not stop in the town of La Barca for any reason. U.S. government personnel are prohibited from personal travel to areas of Jalisco that border Zacatecas, and are prohibited from intercity travel at night.

If RCI is so damned concerned about the "safety of passengers" why don't they cancel Baltimore MD????? I feel safer in PV at 2am on any street than I would ever feel in Baltimore!

Violence in Baltimore: pretty much limited to property damage (arson, looting). Someone took a single potshot in the general direction of cops and the media flipped out over it. Things quieted down once the Maryland National Guard rolled in.

Violence in Puerto Vallarta: running firefights between government troops and cartel members. They just blew a military helicopter out of the air with a RPG.

Not quite the same.

I can see why a cruise line would not want any problems or any incidents with a passenger.

I wonder what the real reason they stopped going was...can't be a safety issue as each year some RC ships stop in on there way too and from Alaska. (I mean if it's a safety issue just skip Mexico...)

Carnival, Princess, Holland America and Norwegian all still sail there regularly.

Violence in Baltimore: pretty much limited to property damage (arson, looting). Someone took a single potshot in the general direction of cops and the media flipped out over it. Things quieted down once the Maryland National Guard rolled in.

Violence in Puerto Vallarta: running firefights between government troops and cartel members. They just blew a military helicopter out of the air with a RPG.

Not quite the same.

I agree, the two incidents are not the same. Baltimore---high school kids (many had the backpacks on their backs) who were throwing rocks at the police and then looting and destroying their neighborhood because they were not happy with the police compared to a drug cartel bombing a bank.

The warning is just for the state of Jalisco. Cabo is not located in the state of Jalisco. Cabo should be good to go.

• 1 month later...
I trust everything is now resolved and HAL is still docking at PV?

You might check HAL's website or their forums here on Cruise Critic. RCI does not have a regularly scheduled port of call in Puerto Vallarta. The ship that missed the port was doing a repositioning cruise.