HAL excursion plane crashes in Alaska

cr8tiv1

I know this is a Princess forum, but I only look at Princess threads. CNN reports that an excursion plane charted by Holland America has crashed outside of Ketchikan.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/25/us/alaska-plane-crash/index.html

update from another news source.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/20150625_missing_plane_carrying_9_found_on_cliffside_in_alaska.html?id=309959751

My prayers and thoughts to family members.

Edited by cr8tiv1

I have just read of this on the Alaska forum. It is extremely sad and my thoughts and prayers go out to the families who have lost relatives. As a person who has lived on the coast and spent a lot of time on and around small aircraft both on floats and wheels I have been holding my breath for a long time hopping I would never have to read about something like this. I know nothing about ProMech, the company who operated the flight, but know the de Havilland Otter and the smaller Beaver to be very safe aircraft and the backbone of the bush and wilderness flying industry.

I'm pretty sure this was the same type of plane used on our Princess excursion in 2009 (Flight and Float - scenic boat tour and plane picked up middle of lake).

Seemed like a sturdy craft, pilot was not exactly captain cheerful but knew his stuff.

Since all cruise lines use the same companies, its relevant here to remember that this particular flight happens multiple times a day, with this being the first incident I can recall since following cruise news...

This happened Thurs afternoon on a plane out of Ketchikan. All 8 were apparently on a shore excursion through the Westerdam.

I feel sorry for the 8 passengers and the pilot that perished. (along with their families) :(

The part that really hits home, just over 30 days ago, that could have been me ! I didn't fly with Promed, but it could have been the company with who I was with...... or any other company.

Here's one of many links to the story :

http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/plane-with-9-people-on-board-reported-crashed-near-ketchikan/33779404

Promech Air - this is the same company that Princess contracted with for my flight.

How sad that a joyous occasion such as traveling to Alaska can turn tragic in a heart beat. Condolences and prayers to family and friends of those passengers.

Since all cruise lines use the same companies, its relevant here to remember that this particular flight happens multiple times a day, with this being the first incident I can recall since following cruise news...

I remember another accident that happened years ago out of Ketchikan. I don't remember if it was ship sponsored or private. Though, it really doesn't matter. Sad regardless.

Edited to add:

Here is an article from 2007: http://www.katu.com/news/local/9224126.html

Edited by Coral

This happened Thurs afternoon on a plane out of Ketchikan. All 8 were apparently on a shore excursion through the Westerdam.

I feel sorry for the 8 passengers and the pilot that perished. (along with their families) :(

The part that really hits home, just over 30 days ago, that could have been me ! I didn't fly with Promed, but it could have been the company with who I was with...... or any other company.

Here's one of many links to the story :

http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/plane-with-9-people-on-board-reported-crashed-near-ketchikan/33779404

Oh shoot.......I looked twice before I started my thread. I swore I didn't see another thread, but obviously not. (must have been the time of morning)

I noticed in at least one article that the weather looked really bad. I sure it wasn't a case where they shouldn't have been flying, and tried it anyhow. It sounds like it's not going to be able to get to the wreckage.

I'm pretty sure this was the same type of plane used on our Princess excursion in 2009 (Flight and Float - scenic boat tour and plane picked up middle of lake).

Seemed like a sturdy craft, pilot was not exactly captain cheerful but knew his stuff.

There are literally dozens of these planes throughout Alaska.

Promech Air - this is the same company that Princess contracted with for my flight.

How sad that a joyous occasion such as traveling to Alaska can turn tragic in a heart beat. Condolences and prayers to family and friends of those passengers.

Promech also operates Seaplanes of Key West and has a good safety record.

It is sad indeed.

Mike:)

Here's the story about the crash.

A plane carrying nine people, including several from a cruise ship, crashed on the side of a mountain in Alaska Thursday, killing everyone on board, officials said.

Rescuers discovered the wreck of the Promech Air float plane hours after it went missing Thursday afternoon about 300 miles south of Juneau.

Aboard the plane were eight passengers on the MS Westerdam, a sightseeing ship visiting Ketchikan, according to Holland America Lines, which was operating the cruise. There was also a pilot aboard the plane, a DeHavilland DHC-3 Otter, the AP said.

The plane had been on a shoreline excursion when it crashed about 20 miles northeast of Ketchikan, near Ella Lake, the lines said. According to the AP, the plane was discovered on the face of a granite cliff about 800 feet above the lake.

"We are incredibly distressed by this situation, and our thoughts and prayers are with those on board the plane and their families," Holland America officials wrote in a statement. "Holland America Line is extending its full support to traveling companions of the guests involved."

So sad to hear this news especially since everyone here in San Francisco is celebrating the Supreme Court ruling about marriage.

My heart goes out to everyone effected by this accident including the company operating the flight.

Tom😪

Apparently the cruise passengers were from two families traveling together from South Carolina. I cannot imagine the sadness and heartache their families are going through, especially the bodies couldn't be immediately recovered. I can only hope they found joy on their cruise prior to this tragedy. I am so sad for them.

We have booked a helicopter tour in Juneau for August and both DH and I are seriously reconsidering. I'm not usually an alarmist but this really brought home what can happen on some of these excursions. let's all go hug a loved one.

I have a good friend on this cruise , she is traveling with family and part of a large group of 60 or so people who are from different parts of the US. Have been watching the news and checking the boards for any information on the plane crash. We are praying that they are safe. From a previous post saying the people on the flight are from South Carolina, we think that they are ok. But are praying for the family from South Carolina and their loved ones. Thanks for any information posted here, won't be able to reach my friend until Sat. evening .

Cori

I have a good friend on this cruise , she is traveling with family and part of a large group of 60 or so people who are from different parts of the US. Have been watching the news and checking the boards for any information on the plane crash. We are praying that they are safe. From a previous post saying the people on the flight are from South Carolina, we think that they are ok. But are praying for the family from South Carolina and their loved ones. Thanks for any information posted here, won't be able to reach my friend until Sat. evening .

Cori

A plane crash in Alaska a few years back involved people from South Carolina, so this could be a mix-up of the two (haven't seen anywhere that says anything about the victims - but not sure). Someone on Twitter posted that her son's preschool teacher lost her sister in the crash. Thinking of all involved!

Cori

KIRO7 news just tweeted that none of the deceased were WA residents...