Almost Live from the Grand Princess

zydecocruiser

In Galvestion tonight, packing my jeans and checking them twice. Staying at the Holiday Inn On the Beach (the one at 5002 Seawall Blvd). I ended up in a king leisure or some such room I guess, 'cause I'm on an upper floor, with microwave/fridge in the room and something you don't see on most cruise ships - complimentary bottled water.

Dinner tonight was at Landry's next to the resort next door, and the fried shrimp and oyster platter was pretty darned good and just what the doctor ordered for a pre-cruise stomach stretching exercise!

Not all the rooms have the fridge/micro/water, but I'm pretty sure they are all have balconies with a water view. Also free WiFi Internet and a coffee maker to boot!

There is a liquor store a couple of blocks away and all kinds of restaurants in the area as well.

The lower floors will have a better view of the roof of the lobby, but you can still see the beach/water. My room is on the 7th floor and I really like the view.

Free cruise parking and also free shuttle to the ship is included. Sign up for the shuttle when you check in for best choices of shuttle times.

There are lots of places to stay in Galveston. One consideration for a post cruise stay is what is the earliest time they will allow you to check in? The standard policy is sometime in the afternoon, but if your room is ready, many let you check in whenever you show up. Sitting in a lobby for a few hours waiting for check-in time isn't much fun.

Looking out the back of the hotel, you can see the cruise ships:

k1bfFmtN8TZwi6YOWvNmxF2jGzcb39V80300.jpg

QsLXq15dam46wnfRjnn37wcrq43ya8h+0300.jpg

Maybe we'll tow that barge along:

1i453v2edo2Cmf02YmEiuRnqf4+F48cG0300.jpg

Shuttle van and cruise ship parking behind the hotel:

9sRk0AN+F1i6mM65R9VNPtyRYtQDzM9z0300.jpg

Turning into a sunny day...

sB8X59a8Zt5cEufVF5eD6vWvCCorUoXH0300.jpg

Merry Christmas, have a wonderful cruise, as if I had to tell you that! I'm sure you'll have a great time, I've never had a bad cruise. I'd love to see some pics of how they added the MUTS to the Grand, if you don't posting them. It looks like your camera does a good job.

It has been many years since I've been to Galveston. I remember the water being a muddy shade of brown and the beaches quite underwhelming. Is the water really that blue now? Has the Gulf of Mexico been cleaned up? Or are those photos catching things at their very best?

Thanks all. We be cruising !!! The water is Gulf of Mexico water, for sure.

So far, so good. Embarkation was less than 30 minutes to cabin. Skipped the buffet and went to Da Vinci for lunch - wasn't crowded and was very good.

MUTS:

Zc7wdxFAh5R5toQzEGVwylgi+ieBWCNY0300.jpg

Jc4QeOi4KPqfOx-Z1KlNw4Al7lNH8Kq20300.jpg

Lunch (lots of jeans):

OmKZE3Py5ZpLJsgMgZb2tKmWDgLaqaa50300.jpg

0mT4ZfvEEUP-SuADzAEjuTmFOJGfct9Q0300.jpg

Cell phone signal seems to be fading... Maybe the end of free Internet. :mad:

Zydecocruiser -- I happened to click on the webcam this afternoon just as the Grand was pulling away from the pier, so I decided to watch her leave. It looked like the ship pulled away, then went back towards shore and angled towards Fisherman's Wharf before she straightened out and moved back towards the channel. Did you notice anything unusual as you were leaving port? It appeared to be very unusual watching on the internet. I thought it might be the camera, but I've watched ships leave Galveston before, and I've never seen one do what the Grand did today.

Archived