watch in old San Juan for scam

SailingSal

We read about this about a year ago on the boards and thought it was important to bring up, again! This happened to us 3 weeks ago.

My husband, brother, and sister-in-law were walking back to the Sheraton in old San Juan after dinner. It was around 8:00 and a tall Caucasian male with large ears, stopped us and said he and his father were walking a few blocks away and were robbed. His father was in the hospital and they needed money. My brother, a retired cop, said immediately, we know this story and made us all walk faster. He had remembered reading this scam on the boards - and apparently it is still happening. Please remember not to stop and keep walking!

So, from reading the links, this scam has been going on since 2009 and no one has stopped this guy yet? By the description that was posted, it is the same man. We did report this to the hotel when we returned. Though he seems harmless - he should have been stopped by now:confused:

So, from reading the links, this scam has been going on since 2009 and no one has stopped this guy yet? By the description that was posted, it is the same man. We did report this to the hotel when we returned. Though he seems harmless - he should have been stopped by now:confused:

He's just a beggar with a focused story. Should everyone be stopped for lying? This is not a scam. He's not selling bogus merchandise or fake watches. Now that's a scam!

While in old San juan last night we had a pleasant conversation with our batender. He mentioned that the man described in this "scam" while drunk, walked in front of a cab last weekend and was killed instantly. Just thought you would like to know. By the way his family has set up shop near the fort collecting money for his funeral!

While in old San juan last night we had a pleasant conversation with our batender. He mentioned that the man described in this "scam" while drunk, walked in front of a cab last weekend and was killed instantly. Just thought you would like to know. By the way his family has set up shop near the fort collecting money for his funeral!
\

Quite creative that bartender! This type of accident would've made the news here and I have seen nothing of the sorts. Besides, did you see how traffic moves in Old San Juan? Unless the cab stopped on top of the dude, there's no way a cab can go fast enough in OSJ to kill a person it hits.

Unless you're just being sarcastic and I totally fell for it...hahah

• 2 weeks later...

He is alive and well 4/8--my smartest husband:confused: was kind enough to give the man from his home state of Wisconsin with the scabs on his face (looking like he was just beat up) the requested $8.00. IDK he is usually smarter then that and usually the more pessimistic one! By the time I got to him and could say hey I read about you on Cruise Critic he was gone and quick -same story though........

• 4 months later...

He came up to us last Saturday morning in front of the Sheraton OSJ. Same story, I said his story is all over the internet. He just said "god bless you" and walked away quickly. My husband looked at me like I was crazy but I told him I had read about this on CC. He must get a lot of people to give him money or he would not be still going strong.

You will find scam artists like this anywhere in the world where you have naive tourists. He must get a lot of people to fall for his scam - he wouldn't be doing it if he wasn't making money.

Edited by slidergirl

You will find scam artists like this anywhere in the world where you have naive tourists. He must get a lot of people to fall for his scam - he wouldn't be doing it if he wasn't making money.

It has been years since he apperoadched us while we were sitting on a bench in OSJ. If he is still at this sctivity, he has to b e makinng some cash

It has been years since he apperoadched us while we were sitting on a bench in OSJ. If he is still at this sctivity, he has to b e makinng some cash

Appreciate this interesting thread and the wide range of comments, insights and reactions. BUT, not only is this guy making . . . lots and lots of CASH! But, it is all TAX-FREE!! Nobody is following up by sending him a proper IRS 1099 form.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 42,147 views for these postings.

I knew a guy in poker who went broke and resorted to a very similar scam at airports.

He hit various airports, eventually getting arrested at each one.

This isn't "creative panhandling". It's actually a crime.

They must not be interested in enforcing this in San Juan, if this guy has been going strong with it for 7 years or more.

• 1 month later...
Wake up, it is a scam!

It's only a scam if you're stupid enough to believe him. He's not harming anyone, not forcing anyone to give him money. He's trying to make scraps, let him be. Only stupid people would give him money because they believe him, and only a good person would give him money because of his effort of trying to make a buck.

It's only a scam if you're stupid enough to believe him. He's not harming anyone, not forcing anyone to give him money. He's trying to make scraps, let him be. Only stupid people would give him money because they believe him, and only a good person would give him money because of his effort of trying to make a buck.

Its still a scam

Not sure if its the same guy, but this has been going on in SJU for at least the last 7-8 years

Funny, we had this happen to us in Savannah GA. There was 4 of setting on the board walk and a guy came up to us saying he lost his and started on with "his" story. My husband just "No, we are not giving you money" and he looked at us and moved on to the next person. There was tons of people down there as they were having an Festival at the time.

I think panhandlers are getting more creative to try to get money from people.