Bit of a moan - NCL Escape

stevencairns88

I've just received an email from NCL and wanted some honest advice.

We're traveling on the 28th October sailing on NCL Escape from New York. We've already booked flights to get us to NYC, and a little mini break to Boston afterwards. All non-refundable.

The cruise was supposed call at Orlando, Great Stirrup Cay and Nassau Bahamas. Now the itinerary has changed to a single port. New york to Bermuda, stay there for 3 days then back again. Essentially the new itinerary has 1 port....

We've chosen to spend the most we have ever done before on this trip, booking the haven and treating ourselves on the flights and accommodation. I feel so trapped!

NCL are offering to move to another date (the week either side still has the same itinerary strangely), stay on the new itinerary or move to another cruise. As a sorry - they're offering $50 no matter what option we choose.

Has anyone been affected by major itinerary changes in the past? Do you think this is a fair way to handle the changes?

Any advice appreciated. I'm absolutely gutted.

IMO you are getting a gift !

3 days in Bermuda in exchange for the Bahamas/FL .

I can only say Wow!

Bermuda is so much nicer , classier and friendly than

the Bahamas . Like no other island in the Atlantic.

Port Canaveral ( Orlando) = not enough time to experience the parks

Nassau = Check reviews ? Many don't leave the ship

Great Stirrup Cay = The only highlight of the previous itinerary.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’m sorry this happened to you. You haven’t said if you’ve been to Bermuda before. Bermuda is a very do-able island on your own and it has some lovely beaches. Quite frankly, between the two itineraries I’d be very much OK with Bermuda! I’ve been to the other itinerary before (more than once) and was underwhelmed. If we do a Nassau, Port Canaveral and private island cruise, it’s because we consider the ship our destination. We just make a quick trip to a store and Dunkin’ Donuts in Nassau.

You may find being in The Haven makes up for where you’re going. We’ve done Bermuda several times and this last time with my DD, DS, DIL & granddaughters were amazed to upbid to a Garden Villa. Except for a trip to the Clocktower Mall and a great Glass Bottom Boat excursion ( the girls not only found Nemo, they found Dory too. They were very excited!), I stayed happily on the ship and in the suite and had a great time.

Whatever decision you make, I hope you have a wonderful vacation.

Thanks for the thoughts so far. I should have mentioned, I have already been on the previous itinerary twice and we loved it - we also got engaged and wanted to do the same cruise again. I am more looking for advice or insight on treatment from NCL in similar situations.

I.e. The T&C do cover the line for making such changes, but considering the change is vastly different to what we booked (and I would not ordinarily choose 1 single destination cruise), I want to know thoughts on how the cruise line would handle such a complaint.

Our flights and accommodation mean we are trapped. There are no other NYC sailings on that day, so we cant change cruise, travel insurance won't cover you for itinerary change (as there has been no cancellation), and NCL are offering a gesture of £35 on a £6k booking to say sorry.

IMO you are getting a gift !

3 days in Bermuda in exchange for the Bahamas/FL .

I can only say Wow!

Bermuda is so much nicer , classier and friendly than

the Bahamas . Like no other island in the Atlantic.

Port Canaveral ( Orlando) = not enough time to experience the parks

Nassau = Check reviews ? Many don't leave the ship

Great Stirrup Cay = The only highlight of the previous itinerary.

Totally agree! Also Bermuda cruises are usually pricier so you are getting a bargain too. There is so much to do in Bermuda and being in port for three days is really nice! Bermuda is beautiful, clean, and easy to get around. We've been on NCL's Boston to Bermuda three times and just booked our fourth!

We're traveling on the 28th October sailing on NCL Escape from New York. We've already booked flights to get us to NYC, and a little mini break to Boston afterwards. All non-refundable.

The cruise was supposed call at Orlando, Great Stirrup Cay and Nassau Bahamas. Now the itinerary has changed to a single port. New york to Bermuda, stay there for 3 days then back again. Essentially the new itinerary has 1 port....

We've chosen to spend the most we have ever done before on this trip, booking the haven and treating ourselves on the flights and accommodation. I feel so trapped!

NCL are offering to move to another date (the week either side still has the same itinerary strangely), stay on the new itinerary or move to another cruise. As a sorry - they're offering $50 no matter what option we choose.

Has anyone been affected by major itinerary changes in the past? Do you think this is a fair way to handle the changes?

If you move to a different week, make sure it include the the same level room....I agree that use of the Haven makes the trip worthwhile, even if you never get off the ship!

Question, will they do anything for you in terms of the change such as on board credit or complimentary excursions?

Keith

No, the offer is £35 OBC on a £6k booking. Despite all the lovely posts for Bermuda, the November weather isn't reassuring me, colder sea and 18 day rainfall.

Thanks so much but Bermuda is going to be cold and wet in November.

Contractually yes, but has anyone has a similar significant itinerary change with NCL they can share experience of, how easy they were to deal with and anything they were able to do?

yes, everyone loves Bermuda, but I dont want to go in November haha. And I don't want a single stop cruise. :)

IMO, you're coming out ahead. Multiple nights in Bermuda would be far nicer than the ports you'll miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Three days in Bermuda as opposed to Nassau and Port Canaveral (has to be, Orlando is located inland and doesn't have a port) would be heaven. Essentially staying in a floating All Inclusive hotel. There are people who would pay good money for that alternative. I'm one of them!

You lucked out! What a DEAL. Nassau SUCKS (according to the posts I've read) and Great Stirrup Cay is an NCL owned island. Nothing there. I didn't even get off the NCL Sky when I was there last May 2017.

Take the change and have a fabulous cruise. With the extra sea days, you will have time to fully utilize and enjoy Haven.