No Excursion Cruising

Just wondering how many people cruise without doing any excursions at all ? We have done some where we only do excursions at some ports, or in places like Bermuda where we have done our own thing, but we normally try and fit in at least one snorkeling excursion per cruise. I ask because we are taking our adult children (19 and 21) and neither of them seem to be all that interested in doing anything "planned" except chilling on the beach.

After 25 cruises to Caribbeans we rarely do any excursions. Just usually taking our masks and heading to the beach were snorkeling is possible, or just for a swim. No problems at all.

Ironically, my fiance and I were having this very conversation last night. He thought more than half of cruisers probably did no-excursion cruises, opting to just shop near the dock or go to a near-by beach. I insisted that was way too high a percentage. Perhaps he was right?

We always do excursions - although very rarely booked through the cruise ship. We booked the "St. John on your own" excursion for St. Thomas on our upcoming cruise after determining it was actually cheaper (as well as safer) than making use of the ferry system. I'm thinking this still qualifies as "an excursion."

We do some sort of tour or excursion at every island - even those we've visited previously. A cruise ship spends only one day at a port of call. People on a land-based vacations often stay a week or longer. Even if I've been to a port multiple times before, there is always something new to do on my next visit. Or maybe I want to do a favorite activity again!

I'm not a shopper. I love the beach, but in small doses. I like doing things I can't do at home - snorkeling, hiking in a rain forest, experiencing a different culture... When on a cruise, I need to "get out there!"

Put me in the all excursions/every cruise camp!

I think it depends on the ports and how many cruises you have been on. I will be on my 15th cruise in July. I have been to all of the ports more than a few times. This is the first cruise that I don't have a single excursion planned. My last cruise was on The Harmony out of Barcelona which was super port intensive. While we absolutely loved the ship, we knew going in that we wouldn't get to experience it to the fullest. We booked The Oasis this summer so we could experience the ship more.

You can always book something once you get on board if your kids change their minds.

We skipped excursions most of the time when we were younger and broke! We'd just take taxis or ask the shore excursion desk for recommendations, or arrange a "rent a wreck" and tool around on our own. Now that cash isn't as much an issue, we also like doing active excursions - like biking, snorkeling, my husband scubas, etc. We find it easier to book these things in advance and have the tour operator supply the equipment. I've also learned I love helicopters and if a helicopter tour is available in an area we've never been before, I want to take it. Something that would have been way beyond our means in our younger days.

I expect that the more traveled the cruiser, the fewer formal excursions they take. Also age will be a factor for some. We haven't booked an excursion in a few years and many cruises. We do go to favorite beaches, walk around town or port area, perhaps have a lunch somewhere. But much of the time, if we are in the Caribbean which we've done many times, we just enjoy the less crowded ship. If we are in a port we have never been, we will take an excursion.

In the 6 cruises we have taken, we have never done a cruise line excursion. We will be doing a dolphin encounter through the line on our upcoming cruise and it will be the first.

Honestly, we usually walk off the ship for an hour or so to go to the shops then go back on-board to enjoy the ship with less people. When we sailed Disney, it was really the best time to enjoy the ship because the public areas are so filled with kids on their ships.

If there is something of particular interest to us, we may book some sort of excursion...but usually, we research our ports, and simply do our own thing 99% of the time! The key is learning SOMETHING about your ports! You don't want to get off the ship "blind" and not know what is around, or what transportation is like....a guidebook from your library is very helpful!

Saves a bundle, too!

I don't think we would go on a cruise outside of the context of visiting ports for the unique and special opportunities that the port affords us. While the cruise ship is interesting and somewhat entertaining, it is limited by the boundaries of the hull in a way a land-based destination would not be. The idea of cruising the Caribbean just to sit on a different beach everyday, or kayak through a different set of mangroves everyday, really doesn't appeal to my spouse and I.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

We just did this on Navigator. Granted, there were only two ports. But our of of our three last cruises with six port stops, we only did one excursion (Stingray City in Grand Cayman).

Sometimes, the experience was only okay (shopping in Cozumel) and other times it has been fun (gardens and zoo in Nassau). It's just that it's not that great of a value for us to book excursions, especially when we just want to hang out.

We do plan on booking an excursion (not with Royal) when we go to Costa Maya to visit Chacchoben.

Sent from Tapatalk

The great thing about cruising is that you can do as much or as little as you like. Normally we just wake up each morning and then decide what to do or not do that day, which usually means deciding between the beach or the pool.

We have done maybe 3 or 4 cruise line excursions in our many cruises. Sometimes we arrange for a private tour. Other times we just get off the ship and walk around the port area or take a taxi to the beach. At this point in time, we would only book a cruise line excursion if there was something we really wanted to do or I really felt uncomfortable venturing on our own (Belize and perhaps Jamaica). We always do Caribbean though. However if we were doing a one in a life time type of cruise with exotic ports or Europe or Alaska, I might feel differently.

Our last cruise (Mediterranean), we did excursions at each port - all privately arranged except for a 1/2 day tour of Aix En Provence. The cruise before that (on the Adriatic side) we didn't book anything. We just got off and wandered around the towns, took a bus to a beach, or whatever, but in each case, the ports of call were all close to beaches and other sightseeing. Whereas the Med cruise, we had to travel to get from Naples to the Amalfi Coast, as an example. That said, it was quite exhausting doing full day excursions each day. Our next cruise, I think we'll pick one thing we really want to see, and for everything else, we'll just wing it. It is nice having the ship "to yourself".

for us it depends. if we been to the same places we don't. This time we are going to the ABC islands for the first time and we are doing a excursion for each of them islands. two through royal and one direct with a company on the island

This thread is truly eye-opening. While I totally agree that one can enjoy doing as much or as little as he or she chooses on a cruise ship, I'm really surprised to learn how many people prefer not do do tours or activities in port - or even choose to simply stay on the ship.

Don't flame me...I'm not being judgemental. I'm sincerely just surprised. For me, one of the big benefits to a cruise vacation over a land-based one is getting to visit multiple destinations on the same vacation. I can hike in a rain forest on Monday, snorkel on Tuesday, see a volcano on Wednesday, explore as set of caves on Thursday and visit historic ruins on Friday. I can see black sand beaches and monkeys wearing diapers. I can rejuvenate in natural hot springs and try interesting local cuisine. I can listen to steel drum music and hand-feed iguanas. I'm getting excited just THINKING about it!

I've been on a dozen cruises - far fewer than many who frequent this site, but I wouldn't consider myself a newbie. I can honestly say the excitement has never wavered.

... I ask because we are taking our adult children (19 and 21) and neither of them seem to be all that interested in doing anything "planned" except chilling on the beach.

Nothing at all wrong with just chilling on the beach! :)

I like to explore new places, but when at Nassau for instance "been there done that" so many times I really enjoy staying on the ship. It's much less crowded.

My 19 year old is not tired of Cozumel however, because he can legally drink at Senior Frogs. :halo:

All comes down to personal preference.

On our one cruise together we planned excursions for two of the three ports. We didn't feel Labadee necessitated an excursion, and wanted a beach day. For Falmouth we really weren't sure what we wanted to do, we ended up booking a bike/hike trip, but weren't feeling well day of (Chef's table the night before), so we bailed and ended up wandering around the port shops before going back aboard and relaxing by the near empty pools.

In the future, when we cruise again, we'll probably base it entirely around the ports. If we go back to Falmouth, definitely book the same excursion and actually get on it. Labadee, probably not. And Cozumel, who knows, probably do a snorkeling or diving trip.

I ask because we are taking our adult children (19 and 21) and neither of them seem to be all that interested in doing anything "planned" except chilling on the beach.

For a 19 and a 21 year old I wouldn't expect them to want to do many excursions. I'm barely out of that age group and I can say that relaxing by the beach is one of the best things you can do, especially if there's beverage service and other young folks to ogle. Though it could also be that they just don't want to be stuck on some excursion with their parents. And remember, they're adult you don't have to limit yourself, just because they want to limit themselves.

For a 19 and a 21 year old I wouldn't expect them to want to do many excursions. I'm barely out of that age group and I can say that relaxing by the beach is one of the best things you can do, especially if there's beverage service and other young folks to ogle. Though it could also be that they just don't want to be stuck on some excursion with their parents. And remember, they're adult you don't have to limit yourself, just because they want to limit themselves.

This is true. I know for them this cruise is much more about the ship. My husband and I are the type that we like to do things and get to know our port. We don't do as many land based Caribbean vacations anymore because we get bored by day 3 and end up renting a car to go exploring. Since we both love the water we generally enjoy snorkeling. Maybe I need to find a compromise and pick a beach with good snorkeling opportunities.

We do not excursion to most of the places we have been to many times , which is most of the Caribbean ( done approx. 50 Caribbean cruises) , next cruise has 3 stops we most likely will stay on the ship for 2 of them, and in Cozumel we will just have a few drinks , lunch and my wife will shop. Last cruise was Europe which we did excursions in all but 1 port.

Our July Cruise with friends, we will get off in the 3 ports, walk around and relax, no excursions. Next April we will be joined by our daughter and husbands Sister so will plan something. One port includes San Juan so will definitely have something planned there.

Interesting thread. We cruise for the cruise; what comes included in the price of the cruise. We don't drink, don't swim, but love to eat, relax, meet new friends. 7 cruises in for us, only excursion we have done was me playing golf in Mazatlan thru Princess excursions. All other ports we have either taxied somewhere, or wandered close to the ship, then head back to have lunch on the ship. We did book Bernards in St Martin last time there on our own, and had a blast, but that was a treat since we were cruising with another couple who loved doing all the things we don't! :)

In fact, 6 of our 7 cruises we have received a check on the last day since we don't spend our onboard credit. I have purchased two photos so far from the cruise line.

I always do excursions when I go on a cruise for every port. The only exception are places like Turks and Caicos where they have a pool and beach right in the port. As well as places like the very small island of Santorini, Greece where it is just a cool very small place you can easily walk around and it is right by the ship.