The Celebrity Revolution

upwarduk

I really like the looks of the posted pics.

We are elite plus and sail with NO drink package...Only drink at the elite party. Either get OBC/prepaid tips as benefit, or get the "no perks" pricing (which we prefer).

We are not the targeted demographic anyway...we usually have a $0.00 bill at the end of the cruise.

There are SO MANY options for cruise lines and an ever expanding number of ships to chose from. I've always thought of Celebrity as at or near the top of mass market lines...now I would say they are very similar to many of them...I think they want to try to get back to the top of the class...wish them the best. I'm betting they will price themselves out of the market for us...time will tell.

Time will tell. Celebrity may become too IKEA for us at the price point.

( sorry IKEA)

We have 2 cruises booked on EDGE but are working to book a great itin on Oceania...O life, Concierge Class...great ports. Tons of perks... Good prices.!

Maybe they can also get one of the Royal C bev machines that everyone seems to dislike...really retro!

i don't know if anyone watches the good place on netflix with kristen bell - but the idea the place looks good - heaven esque-but its just a bit off like only hawaian pizza - only frozen yogurt......small things just enough to niggle at you.....

sometimes when i see company's improvements it reminds me of that show.....

...the waiter comes over to top up our wine and we said 'they seem happy' - and as as he is pouring red wine on top of my white wine and onto another red wine in my husband's glass...he says ' ah yes - but you wouldn't get service on there like you do there':'):'):')

he was like basil fawlty's cousin.........

Now that is funny! I just watched a bunch of those episodes on Netflix.

On our recent Silhouette Cruise, my husband and I attended a video promoting ‘Edge.’

The presenter mentioned that every ship in the fleet would have Le Petit Chef on board and also that the ships would have features added that will be found on the Edge.

What he didn’t say was that every ship would be Revolutionised.

This from an email sent this afternoon:

Timeline of The Celebrity Revolution

Ship Completion Date

Celebrity Millennium® - 09/02/2019

Celebrity Summit® - 23/03/2019

Celebrity Equinox℠ - 25/05/2019

Celebrity Silhouette® - 24/01/2020

Celebrity Eclipse® - 01/04/2020

Celebrity Constellation® - 01/05/2020

Celebrity Infinity® - 14/11/2020

Celebrity Solstice® - 01/10/2021

Celebrity Reflection® - 02/02/2023

We'll be sailing Silhouette in April 2020, so after the "upgrade." Since this will be our first Celebrity cruise, can someone tell me what it means for a ship to be "Revolutionized?"

Edit to add: Guess I just need to go back and read the previous posts. Sounds like a big overhaul.

The only place they could reasonably put a pool would be where the basketball court is. On S class at the front of the ship. On M class at the rear of the ship which would make sense since it is next to the large sundeck that will obviously become The Retreat. The question then becomes where do they put the Retreat Lounge on M Class to keep it close to The Retreat sundeck? Maybe in the restaurant space up top? Of course then Tuscan would have to move somewhere. Michael’s Club space will be open but that has no kitchen. Or maybe that whole sundeck and basketball court area will be converted into both sundeck and lounge? Then maybe move Luminae up to where Tuscan is? Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting, on a Revolution presentation, they said that the M Class Retreat Sundeck would be top deck, way forward. It doesn't seem big enough, as they said it would seat 140-150 and there would be seats for 36 for dining up there, if guests wanted to dine there. I've never been up there so maybe it is bigger than it looks on the deck plan.

It also sounded like the Retreat Lounge would be Michael's remodeled, but that wasn't entirely clear. The footprint of MC on M Class does look similar to one of the pictures of the M Class Retreat Lounge. The windows look like the frosted windows overlooking the hallway leading to the theater? It does look very different because it is open and so much lighter.

enhance

Wonderman3, your presumption that the Retreat Lounge will be near the Retreat Deck and Pool is not correct. The current michael’s clubs are to be remodeled and renamed Retreat Lounges. They are not moving.

No one is correct or incorrect at the moment. We are all speculating here right now unless you have documentation from Celebrity that definitively disputes anything we say here.

Interesting, on a Revolution presentation, they said that the M Class Retreat Sundeck would be top deck, way forward. It doesn't seem big enough, as they said it would seat 140-150 and there would be seats for 36 for dining up there, if guests wanted to dine there. I've never been up there so maybe it is bigger than it looks on the deck plan.

It also sounded like the Retreat Lounge would be Michael's remodeled, but that wasn't entirely clear. The footprint of MC on M Class does look similar to one of the pictures of the M Class Retreat Lounge. The windows look like the frosted windows overlooking the hallway leading to the theater? It does look very different because it is open and so much lighter.

enhance

Yeah, that front deck does seem pretty small to accommodate everything especially a pool. So if they do put it up front somehow then a Retreat Lounge could go one deck below that in place of the Kids area. It could of course just wind up being an updated Michael’s Club. Kind of defeats the purpose of a whole Suites area concept though if you have the Retreat Lounge, Retreat Sundeck and Luminae all spread to different areas across the ship. Time will tell how it turns out...

Celebrity Concierge (shoreside) told me yesterday the Michael’s Club is just being remodeled and renamed. You can call and ask for yourself. On the M and S Class ships, the suites-only venues will remain far from each other. Only on Edge are they I close proximity, and even there, they are on different decks-.

Celebrity Concierge (shoreside) told me yesterday the Michael’s Club is just being remodeled and renamed. You can call and ask for yourself. On the M and S Class ships, the suites-only venues will remain far from each other. Only on Edge are they I close proximity, and even there, they are on different decks-.

This is what we were told too...at least going from one venue to another will give us some exercise!

Could be or could not be. It’s all heresay at this point until Celebrity releases definitive information. Staff members I have asked questions to on the phone or on board about Edge either said they are not privy to information like that from corporate or shared their own speculations which were possible (some of which have proven both true and false as Celebrity has released information over time) but about as definitive as any of ours.

We booked the first sailing of the Summit after dry dock and the upgrades in March. At the time of booking, I was not aware of the refurbishment and now I am hoping that it will all go as scheduled. We are in an Aqua aft balcony cabin.

I think the renderings look wonderful and with 2 perks included, the cost of our trip does not seem unreasonable. They are certainly competitive with Norwegian and I feel the customer service is much better. So I am confused by the comments about Celebrity pricing themselves out of the market. This will be our second cruise on Celebrity so we are not considered frequent cruisers. We will probably never book a suite but we do enjoy Aqua Class and Blu.

We have our fingers crossed as we look forward to our March trip.

enhance

This is def a depiction of a redecorated M class Michaels Club...with the frosted windows to the hallway...The shelves next to them used to be beautiful wood humidors.

We have been in that lounge over many yrs...as a cigar bar, puano bar, Elitw breakfast and pm gathering and after it was suites only, we were there 2x for life boat presentation...

Original decor was a bit heavy but much more Modetn Luxury than this grey decor.

On S Class they used to have Chilluly (spell ) chandelier .Breathtaking! Then they turned into a beer bar...then for suites...

This is def a depiction of a redecorated M class Michaels Club...with the frosted windows to the hallway...The shelves next to them used to be beautiful wood humidors.

We have been in that lounge over many yrs...as a cigar bar, puano bar, Elitw breakfast and pm gathering and after it was suites only, we were there 2x for life boat presentation...

Original decor was a bit heavy but much more Modetn Luxury than this grey decor.

On S Class they used to have Chilluly (spell ) chandelier .Breathtaking! Then they turned into a beer bar...then for suites...

My DH loved the Reflection MC before it became the suites lounge - he’s into craft beer and enjoyed the tastings of Jameson (especially a nice 25 yr that we could never find later). We both enjoyed it as a suite lounge. It will be interesting what they will do with it this time around.

We have been in the M Class MC, but were not part of its history - thanks for the background. They are certainly going down another path with their redecoration.

It looks all new, neat and clean but boring...very cookie cutter like a hotel lobby, airline lounge or the waiting room of a doctor's office. I think this color scheme was popular for office decor sometime in the 80's...

It's all academic for me because we won't be in a suite anytime soon and probably not on M class unless they upgrade the AC and sewage systems in the refurb! M Class had a very nice layout but was always lacking gathering areas...esp when Michaels was no longer an option...

Think some of the renderings look more elegant than current ship decor. A little less of all the gaudy purple hues, overly dark and far too often used drab burgundy (every-flipping-where) and excessive gold trimmed everything would be a welcome change in our book.

Lots of (negative) speculation here - there's a lot that no one save the top brass at Celebrity knows for sure. Maybe it's a good idea to take a deep breath and wait for something tangible to be angry about?

That said, reading some of these posts I wonder, if some aren't happy w/ Celebrity, why not just go to another line? Why dwell on something that seems to bring so much (vacation) unhappiness?

If Celebrity doesn't update their fleet there would be rampant complaining posts on CC that the ships were getting old and tired. OH WAIT - there ARE many posts that mention this exact complaint... Yet - if they do update - Celebrity is being disrespectful to the glorious days of yester-year (and the obligatory cruise ship color deep-purple-burgundy.)

If prices stayed the same - posters would complain even more than they do now that food and service are not what they used to be. Yet when Celebrity raises prices it's completely unacceptable. Not sure though how it's possible to maintain let alone improve food quality and service w/ out the appropriately increasing cost associated with those services? Many cruisers are in business themselves - costs increase do we really expect Celebrity to remain relevant and maintain a standard of quality and lower fares?

For us, the ability to take an all inclusive vacation (lodging, meals, tips, beverages) in a veranda cabin for less than $200/day still presents a fantastic value. When that changes we'll look for a new option though still hold on to our very fond memories of our Celebrity cruises. Until then - we're still very happy otherwise why waste our hard earned $?

It's a tough but real fact that Celebrity's current demographic will age out of cruising (that's me, my parents, my siblings, my cousins and probably some posters here) and it's simply smart, responsible business for Celebrity to try and appeal to a new customer base (my daughters, my nephews and nieces.)

What kind of business doesn't try to modernize - a dying business actually...

Change is hard for lots of people, especially when those changes rock our own personal comfort level but folks, resistance is futile...

Besides having affected the pricing sky high for any ships being revolutionized, I can not only afford the cruises I used to have (and never would afford a suite for the privilege of the bow sitelines) but I would have to buy a whole new wardrobe to fit into this decor! That sterile white and gray makes me feel old and frumpy in comparison. It doesn't look relaxing but makes me feel like I need to be in business suits that are freshly pressed!

Think some of the renderings look more elegant than current ship decor. A little less of all the gaudy purple hues, overly dark and far too often used drab burgundy (every-flipping-where) and excessive gold trimmed everything would be a welcome change in our book.

Lots of (negative) speculation here - there's a lot that no one save the top brass at Celebrity knows for sure. Maybe it's a good idea to take a deep breath and wait for something tangible to be angry about?

That said, reading some of these posts I wonder, if some aren't happy w/ Celebrity, why not just go to another line? Why dwell on something that seems to bring so much (vacation) unhappiness?

If Celebrity doesn't update their fleet there would be rampant complaining posts on CC that the ships were getting old and tired. OH WAIT - there ARE many posts that mention this exact complaint... Yet - if they do update - Celebrity is being disrespectful to the glorious days of yester-year (and the obligatory cruise ship color deep-purple-burgundy.)

If prices stayed the same - posters would complain even more than they do now that food and service are not what they used to be. Yet when Celebrity raises prices it's completely unacceptable. Not sure though how it's possible to maintain let alone improve food quality and service w/ out the appropriately increasing cost associated with those services? Many cruisers are in business themselves - costs increase do we really expect Celebrity to remain relevant and maintain a standard of quality and lower fares?

For us, the ability to take an all inclusive vacation (lodging, meals, tips, beverages) in a veranda cabin for less than $200/day still presents a fantastic value. When that changes we'll look for a new option though still hold on to our very fond memories of our Celebrity cruises. Until then - we're still very happy otherwise why waste our hard earned $?

It's a tough but real fact that Celebrity's current demographic will age out of cruising (that's me, my parents, my siblings, my cousins and probably some posters here) and it's simply smart, responsible business for Celebrity to try and appeal to a new customer base (my daughters, my nephews and nieces.)

What kind of business doesn't try to modernize - a dying business actually...

Change is hard for lots of people, especially when those changes rock our own personal comfort level but folks, resistance is futile...

People are just expressing their opinions, to which they're entitled. Your comment does not acknowledge that SOME people are complaining about those various facets. Not everyone agrees with any particular opinion.

My issue with Celebrity pricing is that they're expecting me to pay for the same quality but at much higher prices. My first cruise with X was only three years ago and prices have only gone up and up and up since then but I haven't seen the quality increase along with it (consistent inconsistency). If I can get the same quality at much lower prices elsewhere, I think they're in a bubble. I'm also in the younger demo they're after, and the "modern" decor already looks dated to me. Maybe it will look better in person.

Please direct us where we can get what you tout for $1400 total for 2 people for a 7 day cruise? Or $2000 for a 10 day cruise? Or, our normal, a 14 day cruise for $2800? Can't find anything remotely near that range, even in the Caribbean, where we don't sail..

People are just expressing their opinions

Yup, and this is me just expressing mine... Just offering another perspective and some additional thoughts to counter all the negative.

I did not suggest or actually even address the 'everyone entitled to express themselves' topic so not sure where you're going there but please don't confuse offering a countering perspective with someone trying to stifle another. That's not happening, at least not w/ me.

My comments, I believe, (maybe overly ;)) acknowledge SOME people complaining about various *facets* (though based on your sentence I'm not totally sure which *facets* you're referring to there?) - maybe you didn't read my entire post?

Of course "not everyone agrees with any particular opinion" - this is me, 'not agreeing' with some opinions in this post but, hey, to each her own (YMMV)

Your comment - "If I can get the same quality at much lower prices elsewhere, I think they're in a bubble". Sorry, just did not follow you there at all so I can't comment on that if it was directed at my post?

Our next Celebrity cruise is actually a bit less than our last which was cheaper than our first but I'm sure cruise pricing is dependent on the sailing, time of booking, deal being offered, etc...