15 day RT LA to Hawaii

RocHed11

Hey all, it's been 6 years since our last cruise and this will be for our 30th anniversary. Going in November. Never taken this route and have a few questions, but vaguely remember this being discussed in the past.

1) How are the waves? I remember talk about being a little rough half way there. Unless huge-not a problem.

2) By chance, does anyone remember when the air temperature changes? When we cruised to Mexican Riviera. It was somewhere between the time we went to dinner and finished dinner on the 2nd evening. It was like night and day difference.

3) Do all the ports of call use tenders or are there docking facilities in Honolulu?, Hilo?

4) How is the Star Princess? We've been on the Emerald. Similar?

Any other insights will be appreciated

Thank you in advance

T

Star Princess is a grand class ship and more like the earlier ships. The Emerald was a later design with more decks and a different layout. The Star has Skywalkers hanging over the stern making the ship look like a grocery cart. Emerald, Skywalkers is up near the funnel.

All the ports tie up to a pier except Maui which is a tender port.

Anytime you are in the Pacific it can get rough or can be calm. It all depends on the weather pattern at the time.

Did this run out of San Francisco last April. It was a little rough first day and a half, but not bad. You will stop at Ensenada on your way back. When I was there it was cold and raining. The run going back to SF was very rough for the first 24 hours. The captain had to slow down to 8 knots, as every time we hit a swell it just rocked the whole ship.

But then, you never know what the sea will be like, sometimes you expect it to be bad and it is smooth sailing.

Cruising is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you'll get.

Hey all, it's been 6 years since our last cruise and this will be for our 30th anniversary. Going in November. Never taken this route and have a few questions, but vaguely remember this being discussed in the past.

1) How are the waves? I remember talk about being a little rough half way there. Unless huge-not a problem.

Can be choppy & bumpy or clam you never know. Bring along sea sick meds.

2) By chance, does anyone remember when the air temperature changes? When we cruised to Mexican Riviera. It was somewhere between the time we went to dinner and finished dinner on the 2nd evening. It was like night and day difference.

Usually cool the first few days until you cross the Tropic of Cancer, then tropical. It is normally always humid in the evening at sea. Indoors it is air conditioned and some areas are cool. Bring a sweater.

3) Do all the ports of call use tenders or are there docking facilities in Honolulu?, Hilo?

Tenders only in Maui (Lahaina). All others docked. If Hilo is replaced by Kona then Kona will also be a tender port.

Similar in layout. Has indoor pool with conservatory above it. There is a 2nd show lounge, Vista Lounge. Still has Sabatini's, no SHARE. Wheelhouse Bar is smaller, but no Salty Dog taking up space. Approx. 500 less passengers.

Thank you in advance

T

See above

We did the old American Hawaii Cruiselines around the Hawaian Islands in late Nov many years ago on our 25th Anniversary. We had very rough seas and high winds for part of it. We were told it was their winter season and such things must be expected. This year we are planning on doing a round trip from Vancouver in October and hoping for better weather. Who knows?

Took this cruise last year. Knowing that the Pacific can be rough, I made sure I had ginger tablets with me as they have been pretty good in settling an upset" stomach. Fortunately, I never had to bring them out. Barf bags were never put out by the ship which I have seen them do on other cruises if they anticipate rough seas. Whenever I see the barf bags out, I take a couple of the ginger tablets as preventive. I, also, go up to the Lido and get a green apple and some saltines as they are pretty effective, too.

Thank you in advance

T

Usually very windy the first 2 days going.

I've done this cruise twice and both times it was rough the first night and second day out of port. Some days the seas were like glass but I've come to expect anything while on the Pacific. It seems to me that it really warmed up about the 3rd day out but don't quote me on that since it might be another cruise I'm remembering.

Last time we sailed R/T Hawaii from San Pedro it was on a smaller ship with rudders73000 tons .It was a Celebrity ship called Century (o longer in the Fleet) . It was a October sailing & on the way back we ran into 30 to 35 ft swells & 35 to 40 mph gale winds . This ship was reeling & rocking . The white bags were in al elevators

Then another time we sailed on Celebrity Infiniti (91000 ton class ) & having lunch in the dining room the engines came out of the water & the ship shook & shook

We have been to Hawaii at least 10 times & we are going again Dec 4 ,2019 on Star Princess .I do anticipate some rough waters in December ;but ,we both have very good sea legs

Personally I have never seen the Pacific like glass .It is twice the size of the Atlantic . We did 2 trans Atlantic cruises one in April to Rome & The Nov Rome to Florida & on both those cruises the Atlantic was like glass all the way . The Med was choppy but no white caps

Thanks everyone again. I thought of a couple more questions.

Forgot what number) Since this ship has to stop in Ensenada, (We've been so many times there is no reason to disembark this port), will we still be required to go through customs?

Forgot next number) Is there any word if the ship might pass by close enough to see the Kilauea eruptions if the volcano is still active?

Would it be worth bringing along sweaters, sweatshirts or windbreakers or one of each for the first and last few days? Something to cover ears? thinking of bringing a couple of mini umbrellas. I just don't want to not have them if I need them.

T

Would it be worth bringing along sweaters, sweatshirts or windbreakers or one of each for the first and last few days? Something to cover ears? thinking of bringing a couple of mini umbrellas. I just don't want to not have them if I need them.

T

Think cool, not cold. No ear muffs or similar.

On every cruise we bring our Gore Tex rain jacket shells which can double as a wind breaker if needed. We also bring a cover up, hoodie, sweater or similar, because it can be chilly in some of the on board venues, for example the theater.

If your an umbrella person then bring it. It can and does rain in Hawaii, but it isn't cold. You may require an umbrella if you are walking around in the hot sun.

Everyone has to go through customs when re-entering the US. Whether you actually left the ship in a foreign port or stayed on the ship the entire time is not relevant. You left the country and now have to go through customs/immigration to get back into the country.

On our TAs we have always encountered at least a few days of rough seas. Last one it was so bad that quite a few crewmembers were not able to show up for work. We were having our usual morning in the IC and noticed that the attendant was a supervisor. We asked him where the normal attendants were and he told us they were seasick so he had to fill in for them. We did notice that the IC was not nearly as full as normal and there was hardly a line for coffee.

Thanks everyone again. I thought of a couple more questions.

Forgot what number) Since this ship has to stop in Ensenada, (We've been so many times there is no reason to disembark this port), will we still be required to go through customs?

Forgot next number) Is there any word if the ship might pass by close enough to see the Kilauea eruptions if the volcano is still active?

We found $7 US Major league baseball caps of equal value to US prices of $25 + .On our next Hawaii cruise ,we again will shop those Major League base ball caps & buy 4 or 5 of them with no tax either :p

We always bring 2 travel umbrellas just in case & wind breakers for going on deck the first 2 or 3 days & light sweaters for the on board in door venues being too cool

The ship isn't going near the kiluea side on our Dec 4 ,2019 Hawaii cruise ,at the present itinerary nor does it stop in Kona . We do stop in the Hilo port & if Kiluea is inactive by then we rent a car to go up to volcano National Park using our Senior National Park pass . Been there several times & always go back to see more . Then we spend time seeing the historic house section in Hilo

The ship isn't going near the kiluea side on our Dec 4 ,2019 Hawaii cruise ,at the present itinerary nor does it stop in Kona . We do stop in the Hilo port & if Kiluea is inactive by then we rent a car to go up to volcano National Park using our Senior National Park pass . Been there several times & always go back to see more . Then we spend time seeing the historic house section in Hilo

The current active flow is only 20/25 miles south of Hilo, fairly close to Hilo, but not actually effecting Hilo or the port. The summit area has lots of earthquakes, probably closed. Take a look at this site for daily status: https://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lava2.htm

I guess we'll see what the December brings and what Princess will do.

Thanks everyone for your answers. Weather and seas are anyone's guess, Unless there is an unprecedented El Niño, we can expect cool air temps gradually warming up. Checking weather several days prior to sail date will partially guide my packing of accessories. Thanks again!!:cool::cool: