Did I miss an announcement about UBP and the gratuities ??

ready2cruzagain

Another "modest" upward bump - it's a good thing, perhaps, this is not affecting all NCL cruisers, just a fraction, those with the package(s) - on gratuities, fees, or whatever one considered it to be - we know nothing for sure how this will impact on the servers & bar staff.

I'm thinking that those who buy drinks or food a la carte will also pay 20%. :(

Going from 18% to 20% is an 11.1 % gain. So you are effectively being charged 11.1% more for your "free" perk.

Would you notice an overnight increase of 11.1% in gas prices? Yes.

Duh me, didn't think of it that way, you are quite correct.

And YES, I would notice an 11.1% increase at the gas pump overnight.

Thanks for bringing that to light.

Well, it does add up. We usually sail at least 21 days. What was $336.72 x 2 = $672.84, for the 3 weeks total if we book with NCL in future, will be $373.80 x 2 = $747.60 , so there would be a $74.76 increase for us for the 21 days.

I know some will say that if you can afford to cruise for 21 days, blah, blah, blah, but that is not the point. The "Free" UBP is getting to be expensive.

No blah, blah, blah! The point is it's costing you another 25.00 per cruise about 3.50 a day. It's called inflation or however the spin is.

In the grand scheme of things it's minimal. Hell that's the Port taxes on drinks before sail away.

Yes NCL is profiting in the long run, it's a business!

WOW another increase. A dollar here and a dollar there and they keep adding up. I see no reason for a 2% increase other than to benefit NCL. I feel bad for those who depend on getting extra tips because I feel like people will be less generous with these continued "little" increases.

No blah, blah, blah! The point is it's costing you another 25.00 per cruise about 3.50 a day. It's called inflation or however the spin is.

In the grand scheme of things it's minimal. Hell that's the Port taxes on drinks before sail away.

Inflation? Really? I must ask my boss for a big raise. Cause my paycheck hasn't really gotten 11% higher the last couple of months... Might be different in the US, though.

Inflation? Really? I must ask my boss for a big raise. Cause my paycheck hasn't really gotten 11% higher the last couple of months... Might be different in the US, though.

I don't go for the inflation thing here either because how many senior citizens on Social Security have seen a COLA (cost of living adjustment) that is 11%? I think in January they get maybe 2% and that is the first COLA in a while.

No one can even say for positive that all of the gratuities go to the employees. At least not that I have seen it in print anywhere. (If I am wrong show me where it is printed).

My problem with this is that a gratuity is by definition something that is given voluntarily or beyond obligation. How can NCL call it a gratuity when it is not voluntary? You can't say I am not paying it because service was poor.

I get your point, but it's really not minimal if you look at the big picture. Up until earlier this year, if you booked a Haven or suite there was no extra 'gratuity' charge on the drink package. That's no longer true. Also, the drink package is limited to drinks under $15. Husband likes a nice scotch and on our October Pearl cruise, all were over the $15 limit (whereas on other cruise lines, many are included. Heck, even Carnival is up to $50 per drink limit). For me, I like Merlot. There is ONE option behind the bar. Blackstone. That's it. No choices. So the point is, even if they only tweak the gratuity piece a buck or two, the overall value of the package is really deteriorating if you compare to other cruise lines.

~Denise

I get your point, but it's really not minimal if you look at the big picture. Up until earlier this year, if you booked a Haven or suite there was no extra 'gratuity' charge on the drink package. That's no longer true. Also, the drink package is limited to drinks under $15. Husband likes a nice scotch and on our October Pearl cruise, all were over the $15 limit (whereas on other cruise lines, many are included. Heck, even Carnival is up to $50 per drink limit). For me, I like Merlot. There is ONE option behind the bar. Blackstone. That's it. No choices. So the point is, even if they only tweak the gratuity piece a buck or two, the overall value of the package is really deteriorating if you compare to other cruise lines.

~Denise

IMHO, absolutely spot on!!

For suite/Haven guests, it's the 3rd time. :mad:

Suite guests used to get the 18% on the UBP/SDP waived.

Then, suite guests were charged the 18% on $79pppd on the UBP.

Then, suite guests were charged the 18% on $89pppd on the UBP.

Now, suite guests are charged the 20% on $89pppd on the UBP.

Just another nail in the coffin to sail NCL suites.

I agree that the amount is minimal, but you keep adding the minimums, and it soon becomes a maximum.No wonder MSC is doing so well. I bet they're already sending FDR a thank you note.

I agree with you. Now if MSC could only improve their suites (size and decor) they'd pretty much have it all figured out.

It is a marketing ploy. NCL wants to raise the cost of the cruise but that impacts web searching for cruises with other cruise lines. So they tack on the extra cost on the backend since we are not sure if the crew actually get the increased gratuity. They probably figure if they get you to select their "cheaper" cruise and get you all the way through the final cost screen, you may not notice the extra cost and buy anyway. You pay more in deposits. Add that to stricter cancellation policies and earlier final payment dates, you are less likely to cancel or if you cancel, they shrug, they keep your higher deposit and they get to sell the cabin again.

Looks like they also raised the Spa gratuities up to 20%. Per NCL website:

Prices and Service Charge and Taxes

For your convenience a 20% service charge will be automatically added to your spa (except Thermal Suite), salon, and fitness services.

I think it is less about my convenience and move about NCL's bottom line!

Yeah, I like the word "convenience". I don't think it has anything to do with convenience.

I would be a lot happier if NCL would just stop doing us all these favors....for our convenience of course! ;) Please NCL make all of these constant increases in charges way more inconvenient for us. :)

Joe

I'm on the Star right now. Bar staff have been instructed to avoid handing out printed menus until new ones have been printed and distributed, because they show the old service charge.

Non UDP passengers charging to their accounts are being charged 20% now.

Tonight's Dailies newsletter now states 20% across the board. So it's in immediate effect for sure.

I'm on the Star right now. Bar staff have been instructed to avoid handing out printed menus until new ones have been printed and distributed, because they show the old service charge.

Non UDP passengers charging to their accounts are being charged 20% now.

Tonight's Dailies newsletter now states 20% across the board. So it's in immediate effect for sure.

From what I can tell it went into effect on Dec. 1st. Funny how they just snuck it in without saying anything.

It's not so minimal...this change along with the increase from $79 to $89 will mean $15-20 million extra per year out of our pockets (NCL customers) and that's just from additional revenue from service charges.

The reality is that NCL is no longer the bargain it was 2-3 years ago. If MSC does a decent job with their new ships they'll blow NCL right out of the water.